Is the Ram TE position group better than last year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Almost a rhetorical question, huh?

I'm impressed with the S&F offseason moves this year. Might be Snead's best draft ever, when all things are considered.

Our clear biggest 3 weaknesses at the end of the '15 season were QB, WR, and TE. All three were addressed just about as well as possible after the cost of the trade up.

Here's a piece describing our TE addition by subtraction that I enjoyed...

Los Angeles Rams Tight Ends: Better, Worse, or Same in 2016?
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on Jul 6, 2016, 10:27a 42

usa-today-9320260.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

 TWEET SHARE (42) PIN
As we continue with our better, worse, same series covering the Los Angeles Rams’ position groups, today we'll look at the tight ends. In case you missed it, we've covered a few offensive positions already:

* Quarterbacks
* Running Backs
* Wide Receivers

Offseason optimism is in full swing in early July, as all position groups have earned your "better" vote thus far. One can only hope it translates into meaningful production this fall.

Tight Ends
Lance Kendricks
Tyler Higbee
Temarrick Hemingway
Cory Harkey
Justice Cunningham
Benson Browne

Analysis
If you’d polled every Rams’ fan prior to the onset of free agency, and asked them to name one player they’d like to see released this offseason, you’d most likely receive one answer: Jared Cook. And the Rams did right by the fanbase when they, in somewhat surprising fashion, cut him along with veterans Chris Long and James Laurinaitis. Cook started off strong with the Rams, catching seven passes in the 2013 season opener; good for 141 yards and two scores. And it was downhill from there. If you’re not going to block, you need to catch. And you certainly don’t need to shove the QB when you can’t hold on to one. Enjoy those warm Wisconsin winter months.

Lance Kendricks will be around at least through the 2016 season, with all the guaranteed money on his 4-year deal (which is good through 2018) being paid out by the end of this year. He’ll do a fine job as the team’s third on-field offensive tackle.

With the big-bodied, athletic, pass-catching tight end spot now void in the Rams’ offense, they utilized their second selection in the 2016 Draft to provide Jared Goff with a weapon: Tyler Higbee. He’s younger. He’s far cheaper. And there’s little reason to believe he can’t catch a football. Win, win, win.

The Rams doubled down on tight ends this draft, using the first of their three 6th-round picks on South Carolina St.’s Temarrick Hemingway. Though not a household name on draft day, Hemingway is extremely athletic and could be a nightmare matchup for linebackers. At the NFL Combine, Hemingway ran the second fast 40-yard dash (4.71) and was also a top performer in the 3-cone drill (1st) and 60 yard shuttle (2nd). He may be a bit of a project and might not factor into the offense immediately, but if the Rams’ can polish his skill sets, he’s an intriguing threat for seasons to come.

The Rams love Cory Harkey. Heck, everyone loves Cory Harkey. He just doesn’t play very much.

Better, Worse, or Same?
Better. Jared Cook was cut. What else needs to be said?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Blocking talent: same. I'd rank them above average.

Receiving talent: significantly upgraded. Problem is how long will it take to show?

Hemingway is an extreme longshot to contribute this season. Dude did not have a positional coach in college, he's the "Cook" type draftee, the raw athlete that Fish loves. For the Rams to have a big impact from the position in the passing game there are only two options:

1. Kendricks. I don't know that he's ever been brought along in a way that will set him up for success in the passing game. Since I suspect the Rams' staff has been upgraded there, I also suspect that Kendricks might be in for a strong season.

2. Higbeest. If Lance is more of the same this season then their hope switches to their 4th rounder. This guy has the talent to make a difference, but he gets dinged up and has those off field risks.

Gonna be interesting to watch that group in this year's preseason games. Lot of it is going to come down to scheme too, and how shrewdly they're utilized.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Cook was so frustrating to watch. Such a physical talent. There was almost no tight end in the NFL that could get open like Cook can. But then he would drop the ball, or fumble after he caught it, or run the wrong route, or just give a half assed effort in general.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If everything checks out with Higbee and he's cleared of the charges and learns from it, I feel strongly he will be a major asset moving forward. Also Temarrick Hemingway offers a ton of upside and athleticism and one could surmise that this is the best unit the Rams have had at Tight End since Pete Holohan and Damone Johnson who in 1988 combined for 111 receptions and 9 Touchdowns.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
In Hemmingway the Rams have a raw talent that they can mold into the kind of TE they want without having to unteach bad habits learned in college.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think it will be better, if Higbee can just catch the ball it is better. :snicker:

From the tape I've seen on him he looks like a very good TE prospect, I'm really excited to see him play.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eventually yes I think this groups potential will make it much better. Hemingway and Higbeast both have the potential, especially Higbeast, to be special pass catchers. The biggest question as others have mentioned is how long will it take these two to acclimate to the NFL game? I believe TE is one of the rarest positions to see significant contributions as a rookie though that's just perception by me I have no facts to back it up without looking further into it. If these two develop as we hope this year and going forward Lance Kendricks could be on his last contract.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eventually yes I think this groups potential will make it much better. Hemingway and Higbeast both have the potential, especially Higbeast, to be special pass catchers. The biggest question as others have mentioned is how long will it take these two to acclimate to the NFL game? I believe TE is one of the rarest positions to see significant contributions as a rookie though that's just perception by me I have no facts to back it up without looking further into it. If these two develop as we hope this year and going forward Lance Kendricks could be on his last contract.

Yep, OldSchool.

Here's my thinking.

Higbee added to replace Cook.
Goff added to replace Keenum/Foles.
Groh added to improve passing game design and route running technique.

Why WOULDN'T one expect improvement in the TE position? Lol.