Is Starting slow going to be a trend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I noticed last season that Chris Long took a few games to really get going. It happened again this year. Janoris Jenkins was the same way IMO. Ditto for Brockers and even Laurinitis, the OLine, Sam.....

Last year I figured it was all due to a new system and some of the players youth but the same thing has happened this year. I hope this is not going to be a yearly trend. Maybe Fisher needs to ramp things up at camp instead of taking it so easy?

Many of these players seem to have picked back up where they left off at the end of last season. Chris Long especially.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Elmgrovegnome said:
I noticed last season that Chris Long took a few games to really get going. It happened again this year. Janoris Jenkins was the same way IMO. Ditto for Brockers and even Laurinitis, the OLine, Sam.....

Last year I figured it was all due to a new system and some of the players youth but the same thing has happened this year. I hope this is not going to be a yearly trend. Maybe Fisher needs to ramp things up at camp instead of taking it so easy?

Many of these players seem to have picked back up where they left off at the end of last season. Chris Long especially.

You noticed that too.
Is kind of a new system, new DC anyway.

jap

Legend
Elmgrovegnome said:

I believe Chris Long has been battling nagging injuries since the end of pre-season. I don't know what has been going on with Brockers, but 3.5 sacks from the DT spot after only six games isn't shabby at all.

…..

Legend
I believe so...
I think it has alot to do with vanilla pre seasons. ( I thought I could go all year without using the word vanilla again!)

They arent playing the preseasons like they used to. It used to be Dick Butkus wanted to play- you couldnt keep him out of a game if you tried wether it was preseason or not. Nowadays, they're more focused on preserving the "commodity" that is the NFL player.

So by the time the season starts, only a few gifted elites are really ready. Hats of to the coach that his his whole team ready to blast out of the gates.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dog said:
I believe so...
I think it has alot to do with vanilla pre seasons. ( I thought I could go all year without using the word vanilla again!)

They arent playing the preseasons like they used to. It used to be Dick Butkus wanted to play- you couldnt keep him out of a game if you tried wether it was preseason or not. Nowadays, they're more focused on preserving the "commodity" that is the NFL player.

So by the time the season starts, only a few gifted elites are really ready. Hats of to the coach that his his whole team ready to blast out of the gates.

Good point about the preseason. I think the Rams took it a bit too far but Tom Coughlin has proven twice that it is more important to be hot towards the end of the season than in the beginning.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jap said:
. I don't know what has been going on with Brockers, but 3.5 sacks from the DT spot after only six games isn't shabby at all.
Considering that Brockers wasn't drafted as a sack master that his pass rush is still on the rise I'd say those are very encouraging numbers and once the offense hits it's stride and we get early leads double digits are completely possible

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
. I don't know what has been going on with Brockers, but 3.5 sacks from the DT spot after only six games isn't shabby at all.
Considering that Brockers wasn't drafted as a sack master that his pass rush is still on the rise I'd say those are very encouraging numbers and once the offense hits it's stride and we get early leads double digits are completely possible

This Sunday Brockers gets to test the Panthers newish starting OLG veteran Travelle Wharton who replaced Amini Silatolu in game four. Brockers should have another very big day! Brockers sure has brought a smile to my face this season & I am so glad Snead & Fisher drafted him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Silatolu hurt or playing poorly? I liked him in the draft and wanted him over Quick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Elmgrovegnome said:
Is Silatolu hurt or playing poorly? I liked him in the draft and wanted him over Quick.

Amini Silatolu injury: Panthers LG tears ACL

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/10/7/4813272/amini-silatolu-injury-panthers-lg-tears-acl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/10 ... -tears-acl</a>

jap

Legend
BonifayRam said:
Thordaddy said:
jap said:

This Sunday Brockers gets to test the Panthers newish starting OLG veteran Travelle Wharton who replaced Amini Silatolu in game four. Brockers should have another very big day! Brockers sure has brought a smile to my face this season & I am so glad Snead & Fisher drafted him.

Brockers has the potential to achieve double digit sacks from the DT spot. Team-wise, as long as he is being disruptive, he is gonna command double-, maybe triple-teaming and force 1-on-1 match ups for his defensive line-mates.

What happens to an offense when Brockers becomes so disruptive, they can't afford to double up on Chris Long and The Mighty Quinn anymore?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We've started the season 2-3 for the majority of recent seasons. It is a trend...