Is Rams David Edwards an offensive tackle or guard?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Is Rams David Edwards an offensive tackle or guard?​

The LA Rams are facing another NFL Draft. With it comes another set of unresolved questions about the current and future state of the team’s offensive line. A year ago, it seemed as though the team was facing far more questions and far less certainty. And yet, the Rams rolled up their sleeves and dove into the draft undaunted by those OL concerns. That worked out okay for the team, didn’t it? But everyone was convinced that the team needed to pour draft picks into offensive linemen.

Instead, the Rams chose some offensive skilled players and some defensive types. But the LA Rams would only draft one offensive line, offensive tackle Tremayne Anchrum, in the seventh-round. One offensive tackle and he was projected as an NFL guard. That made sense, as the Rams were in need of interior offensive linemen, and they enjoyed a surplus of offensive tackles.

Or do they?

David Edwards was an offensive tackle for the Wisconsin Badgers who was drafted by the LA Rams with the 169th pick (round five) of the 2019 NFL Draft. Standing 6-foot-6 and weighing 308-pounds, he certainly had the prototypical size for an NFL offensive tackle. His draft profiles were in agreement. Strong and powerful. Slow foot speed. Poor pass blocking technique. He was hastily promoted to start for the Rams at offensive guard in 2019 due to numerous injuries.

But in 2020, he was again forced to sub in as an offensive guard. And even when the team had the option to put him back on the bench, he remained the starter. So now, the question is, is he an offensive guard or tackle?

It’s an important question because in 2022, the Rams project to lose both Joseph Noteboom and Austin Corbett. Noteboom is an offensive tackle who played at both the guard and tackle positions for the team in 2020. Corbett is the team’s sole ‘pure’ interior offensive lineman who starts at right guard. And the answer dictates what the Rams do in the 2021 NFL Draft.

If Edwards is a tackle, then the Rams will look to draft at least one interior offensive lineman. If Edwards is a guard, then flip that, and aim the Rams at an offensive tackle. The team has nearly a full room of returning offensive linemen, but their roles are a bit ambiguous for the time being. And that glaring hole at the center position is tough to ignore.

Is Edwards a guard or a tackle? While it may not seem to be that important, the answer could reshape the Rams 2021 NFL Draft strategy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Edwards might be ok at tackle. But Noteboom seems better suited for that spot than he is at guard. Edwards is a better guard than Noteboom in my opinion. If Whitworth goes down again I think we're better off with Noteboom at LT and Edwards at guard than the other way around.

Don’t forget that happened almost half of 2020? Some people keep forgetting that The Rams depth is not all that bad.

TexasRam

Legend
I see Edwards as sort of a tweener at the NFL level. As a guard he is solid. But he’s a little miscast because of his length and lack of bend. He might be able to play RT at this level but his lack of reaction to speed might make it a rough spot for him. LT no way.

I would keep him at guard. He is serviceable there and actually very reliable.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it hard to believe that David Edwards is slower than Rob Havenstein. He also appears to have a tackle's body, but what do I know. He is, however, a serviceable guard, and (hopefully) he can still get better.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I see Edwards as sort of a tweener at the NFL level. As a guard he is solid. But he’s a little miscast because of his length and lack of bend. He might be able to play RT at this level but his lack of reaction to speed might make it a rough spot for him. LT no way.

I would keep him at guard. He is serviceable there and actually very reliable.

We now know following the 2019 & 2020 seasons that Edwards is capable of playing both OG positions quite well, so i'm hoping for an active 2021 pre-season game schedule where we get to see much more of Edwards at RT, although this may only be wishful thinking on my part.
McVay doesn't like to play his veteran starting offensive linemen in pre-season games, in fact, during the 2019 pre-season games, he didn't play any starting OL, and even kept Brian Allen out, much to our dismay. I'd love to see Noteboom, Edwards, Evans and Brewer get the bulk of the work for those games, with Noteboom & Brewer primarily at LT, and Edwards, Evans & Noteboom competing at RT, with Brewer, Anchrum and probably another round of Demby at OG. Allen, Corbett & Shelton get the pivot and may also receive some OG work as well. Of course, any newly drafted OL players will also get their fair share of pre-season snaps. The 2019 pre-season games were mostly the Brewer, Edwards, Evans & Demby show, along with a couple of Centers who are no longer with the team or league. Brewer being the only real stand-out during that time, ... 2021 has our depth as much improved. jmo.