Is Paul Boudreau a good coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hey @CoachO, any thoughts on a reasonable timetable of growth from the young'uns on the line? Like... how long should we expect it take GRob to get to a consistent level of good play (not talking his "total 100% potential," but rather a point where his "down" plays are still consistently OK and his "up" plays are close to his dominant potential)?

What would you expect a timetable for Havenstein to be, in terms of learning how to deal better with speed rushes and fancy defensive line moves? He's holding up OK, but obviously there's holes in his game, as one would expect...

Seems like Jamon Brown is playing quite well, which is great... for whatever reason he reminds me of Jahri Evans.
It's impossible to say. Each player will develop at a different pace. At this level it's more about the mental aspect than it is physical.

When taking Robinson's status into account. IMO he was akin to someone like Brian Quick coming into the NFL in terms of his familiarity to a system design. Everyone had said from day one, athletically and physically he is a freak of nature. But until he masters the mental requirements of the position, he will continue to struggle with inconsistent performances.

Havenstein in the other hand, came from a much better place as far as him experiencing a more "pro-style" system and had much more actual experience as a starter in college. He won't have the adjustment time mentally that Robinson will have. His issues are more getting comfortable with the "speed of the game" and fine tuning his technique. Once he figures out how to iron out those physical problems, IMO he will be a very good player for a long time. Will it happen this year? Who knows? But I think he is one guy you will see noticeable improvement week to week as the season progresses.

But as many have stated, it can take a young player as many as 3 years to fully reach a comfort level allowing him the to play up to his full potential.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's impossible to say. Each player will develop at a different pace. At this level it's more about the mental aspect than it is physical.

When taking Robinson's status into account. IMO he was akin to someone like Brian Quick coming into the NFL in terms of his familiarity to a system design. Everyone had said from day one, athletically and physically he is a freak of nature. But until he masters the mental requirements of the position, he will continue to struggle with inconsistent performances.
Any thought to the rumors he's not that into the mental part of the game? Also, I'd have to think that tackle is less challenging than wide receiver, given the receiver's need to be able to run complex routes on a dime, be in sync with the QB and break off or extend routes based on coverage. The biggest challenge for a tackle, I'd think, is just keeping your head in it in every play, remaining consistent... because a mental breakdown on one play might not matter for a WR, but can get a QB killed if it's by a tackle.

Havenstein in the other hand, came from a much better place as far as him experiencing a more "pro-style" system and had much more actual experience as a starter in college. He won't have the adjustment time mentally that Robinson will have. His issues are more getting comfortable with the "speed of the game" and fine tuning his technique. Once he figured out how to iron out those physical problems, IMO he will be a very good player for a long time. Will it happen tbsp year? Who knows? But I think he is one guy you will see noticeable improvement week to week as the season progresses.
Man, I hope so. He's always been billed as a guy who will get it done, but it'll be ugly, due to the slowness of his feet. I don't mind the ugly, as long as the "get it done" gets done.

But as many have stated, it can take a young player as many as 3 years to fully reach a comfort level allowing him the to play up to his full potential.
Brown has come into it nicely, good find by Snead.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Any thought to the rumors he's not that into the mental part of the game? Also, I'd have to think that tackle is less challenging than wide receiver, given the receiver's need to be able to run complex routes on a dime, be in sync with the QB and break off or extend routes based on coverage. The biggest challenge for a tackle, I'd think, is just keeping your head in it in every play, remaining consistent... because a mental breakdown on one play might not matter for a WR, but can get a QB killed if it's by a tackle.

The way I hear it - the most difficult position is QB, followed by C, then G, then T, then WR, TE, and easiest is RB. And of course, it depends on the scheme.

G Rob is frustrating to watch - because when he doesn't know what to do - he doesn't do anything. When in doubt - just go drill someone - anyone.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The O-line saga will unfold over the course of the season. But, so far, we aren't showing the identity that Fisher wants for us. As long as we see some development over the course of the season we can pin it on the players. If we don't see anything, and end up with a losing record again, I'll be ready for a coaching change.

Personally, I was a bit surprised at how many folks seemed to discount this OL's performance preseason. It seemed reasonable to me at least, that this line would be more apt to struggle at least into mid season for a multitude of reasons i.e., lack-limited NFL experience, real game reps, time to sync up, pass pro, etc.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I was a bit surprised at how many folks seemed to discount this OL's performance preseason. It seemed reasonable to me at least, that this line would be more apt to struggle at least into mid season for a multitude of reasons i.e., lack-limited NFL experience, real game reps, time to sync up, pass pro, etc.
A big part of it, for me at least, is seeing Robinson's growth (or perceived lack thereof) along with Saffold's mighty struggles this week. Less worried about Rodger, because it's probably just one bad week.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Boudreau's reputation preceeded him a bit.

I think he was a good coach.

I'll reserve judgement on whether he IS a good coach until after this season. He has many challenges. If he is still a good coach, we'll see it this year.

BTW... his stock did drop last year when he had Robinson play musical chairs. I get the concept of being proficient at multiple positions along the line, but the kid was not prepared for that... Boudreau should have noticed it right away... the experiement went on too long.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would put tackle as the hardest position to transition to in the pros after QB...QB, T, WR, TE, C, G, RB...depending on the system of course...

Physically or mentally? The center is usually making the line calls - that's some intense pressure for a rookie.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Physically or mentally? The center is usually making the line calls - that's some intense pressure for a rookie.
Both....I see it as, some guys naturally can handle line calls at the center spot...but are NOT great athletes, and are able to start & do well as rookies at center. Whereas, you can put the smartest and best athlete/player at left or right tackle, and they'll still struggle. Same for QB.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Both....I see it as, some guys naturally can handle line calls at the center spot...but are NOT great athletes, and are able to start & do well as rookies at center. Whereas, you can put the smartest and best athlete/player at left or right tackle, and they'll still struggle. Same for QB.

How does one naturally handle line calls? That isn't a football instinct thing - its a learned skill. Sure, instincts come in to play when it comes to recognizing the difference between what the D is showing you and what they are actually doing - but even that is more of a classroom skill than just "being smart". The center has to know what all 5 lineman are doing on every play. The guard has to know what the 2 guys on either side of him are doing. The tackle has the easiest mental assignments - although probably the toughest physical one.

QB even tougher. They have to know all 11 assignments on every play and there is much to read in terms of what the D is doing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How does one naturally handle line calls? That isn't a football instinct thing - its a learned skill. Sure, instincts come in to play when it comes to recognizing the difference between what the D is showing you and what they are actually doing - but even that is more of a classroom skill than just "being smart". The center has to know what all 5 lineman are doing on every play.
By playing center before...usually college. The Patriots start a rookie CENTER, right now...We know how difficult mcHoodie's playbook is.... I'm sure the Pouncey brothers BOTH started as rookies...Sure those two were/are mental giants....I could go search but I'm sure a rookie starts at center in the league EVERY SINGLE YEAR, yet no one notices...Only on the Rams is the damn center position thought of like some holy grail of football intelligence and only Einstein could handle ALL the complex line calls...BS

With all of 4 years as a center in this system, there are still blown calls...blocks missed...by all the linemen. Is Barnes capable of handling this position? Would a talented rookie be just as good or better? I'd assume so...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
By playing center before...usually college. The Patriots start a rookie CENTER, right now...We know how difficult mcHoodie's playbook is.... I'm sure the Pouncey brothers BOTH started as rookies...Sure those two were/are mental giants....I could go search but I'm sure a rookie starts at center in the league EVERY SINGLE YEAR, yet no one notices...Only on the Rams is the damn center position thought of like some holy grail of football intelligence and only Einstein could handle ALL the complex line calls...BS

With all of 4 years as a center in this system, there are still blown calls...blocks missed...by all the linemen. Is Barnes capable of handling this position? Would a talented rookie be just as good or better? I'd assume so...

The Pats are an exception. Remember who makes the line calls in McDaniel's offense? Hint: Its not the center

There are rookie tackles starting all over the place, too.

And don't confuse smarts with football smarts. I wouldn't want Marshall Faulk managing my finances but he can diagnose a defense for me any day of the week.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That's why I was asking if we are talking mental or physical - there is no question that playing LT is the toughest - and guys who can do it well are the most rare lineman there are.

Right now, it's the mental game standing in G Robs way - and it's more than just knowing who you block on what play. It's how you block them - and of course - all of that changes based on the way the defensive front lines up (which is where the center comes in)