Is Ogletree too slow to be a SS?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ogletree looked fast on his Int return. I dont remember his combine scores, but he is very good in coverage. He struggles getting off of blocks. move him to Safety and with his size he should be able to get off blocks better when it is a WR blocking him.

Ogletree and McDonald at Safety could fix our Safety position for years. Then the Rams could draft a guy like Mosely to play outside LBer.

V3

Hall of Fame
Didn't he start off at S at Georgia? If he couldn't play S in college why move him back? I think he's been getting better each week. I honestly think he'll be a pro-bowl LB in a couple years. I wouldn't touch him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He looks pretty fast but not safety fast and yes he did play some in college. I have not seen him having problems getting off blocks. It has only been 6 games and he is a leading candidate for defensive ROY has 46 combined tackles 3 forced fumbles and 1 int. I think he should develop into a fixture at LB and we Rams fans are lucky to have him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Its not that he's slow, but you want a safety who can flip his hips, change direction on a dime and has short speed too. He could probably play the position, but I'd rather see him bulk a little and become a dominant LB. Get a true safety later on and leave him where he is.

sent via Tapatalk.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played safety in college as a freshman. They moved him because he has more potential and is a better LB. Ogletree's not a NFL SS unless you're going to use him almost exclusively in the box.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes I would not say he could not play one of our safety post if need be. But why? IMO we need him starting @ OLB'er ! He fits perfectly with JL & Jo. Tree's speed is nothing special about a best 4.57 & normal 4.67 in the 40. He weakness is in his power & strength. But he is 6-2 1/2 @ 245 now & should get thicker & stronger as Tree learns what he needs to do to beat off those blocks that is hurting him currently. He is only 22 yrs old.

I think he was a great selection and fits in very nicely overall in Fisher defense. I would also add that the rookie UDFA's LBers on this team now excites me for the future. Ray Ray Armstrong, Darin Bates, Jonathan Stewart & Phillip Steward were the best youthful LB'ing cadre added to this team in decades.

As far as seeing a need @ safety now ??? second yr first yr starter Rodney McLeod seems to get a little better game. Veteran safety Matt Giordano has earned & worked himself as the Dime back and has done well too. Darian Stewart is still leaving nasty chunks of rust all over the field but I need to remember that Stewart missed all of the minis, training camp, pre season & most all of the 2012 season then he did the same this season missing OTA's TC & preseason & the first 3 games with nagging injuries. Then you throw in the two biggest hitters on this defense both are on IR in Matt Daniels(24) & TJ McDonald(22). Other safety projects are UDFA rookie Cody Davis & S/CB 2nd yr PS Quinton Pointer. On top of that there has been a lot of scuttlebutt this week that when Cortland Finnegan returns to full health & having him inserted into safety post.

That's eight named safeties right there all but two of them 25 or younger. If both Stewart can not improve fast in the vacancy left by the injury to rookie TJ then he needs to be released ASAP when TJ is ready thus giving others the chance to show their stuff. One thing Stewart does do well is HIT!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It will be between him or Kiko Alonzo for DROY. Kiko was leading the league in INT's for the first 5 weeks i think, i havent checked, but he may still be.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just leave him in where he is. He's doing really well, and this is coming from someone who thought he might struggle a lot this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
Its not that he's slow, but you want a safety who can flip his hips, change direction on a dime and has short speed too. He could probably play the position, but I'd rather see him bulk a little and become a dominant LB. Get a true safety later on and leave him where he is.

sent via Tapatalk.

Exactly. For all the attention it gets not a lot of success in the NFL has to do with 40 times. Could Chris Long lose 25 lbs and be a solid 3/4 OLB, probably. COULD Ogletree play SS in the right D? Maybe. Zero chance I would mess with him. He is starting to flurish with a very bright future. Fisher said reminded him of Willis....add 20-30 lbs and I could see that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:
Yes I would not say he could not play one of our safety post if need be. But why? IMO we need him starting @ OLB'er ! He fits perfectly with JL & Jo. Tree's speed is nothing special about a best 4.57 & normal 4.67 in the 40. He weakness is in his power & strength. But he is 6-2 1/2 @ 245 now & should get thicker & stronger as Tree learns what he needs to do to beat off those blocks that is hurting him currently. He is only 22 yrs old.

I think he was a great selection and fits in very nicely overall in Fisher defense. I would also add that the rookie UDFA's LBers on this team now excites me for the future. Ray Ray Armstrong, Darin Bates, Jonathan Stewart & Phillip Steward were the best youthful LB'ing cadre added to this team in decades.

As far as seeing a need @ safety now ??? second yr first yr starter Rodney McLeod seems to get a little better game. Veteran safety Matt Giordano has earned & worked himself as the Dime back and has done well too. Darian Stewart is still leaving nasty chunks of rust all over the field but I need to remember that Stewart missed all of the minis, training camp, pre season & most all of the 2012 season then he did the same this season missing OTA's TC & preseason & the first 3 games with nagging injuries. Then you throw in the two biggest hitters on this defense both are on IR in Matt Daniels(24) & TJ McDonald(22). Other safety projects are UDFA rookie Cody Davis & S/CB 2nd yr PS Quinton Pointer. On top of that there has been a lot of scuttlebutt this week that when Cortland Finnegan returns to full health & having him inserted into safety post.

That's eight named safeties right there all but two of them 25 or younger. If both Stewart can not improve fast in the vacancy left by the injury to rookie TJ then he needs to be released ASAP when TJ is ready thus giving others the chance to show their stuff. One thing Stewart does do well is HIT!

I looked up Ogletrees measurements and I had no idea hews 242. He looks lighter than that. So, yeah that is too big for S.

I don't like the Rams safeties. McCleod is a better Corner than Safety. Hedoesn't not have instincts for Playing in all of that space. I like McDonald. Stewart is awful. He is so intent on making he big hit or play that he totally ignores making the smart plays. Stewart may hit hard but he is a lousy tackler. The rest of the safeties look like a bunch of backups. The Rams desperately need a good safety and it is not a good draft for it. I wish the had drafted Rambo. I Liked his FS big play potential.

Ramzee

Rookie
He grew out of being a Safety, naturally. He's way too big to convert back. I personally think LB suits him best. His unique skillset allows him to match up well with guys in coverage but it's not like he's weak against the run either. He's a rookie with limited experience at LB, who is only getting better and better by the week(s)/year(s).