Is Notre Dame's Will Fuller right to help Rams' passing game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Is Notre Dame's Will Fuller right to help Rams' passing game?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-will-fuller-right-to-help-rams-passing-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- This week and next will be all about free agency for the NFL and the Los Angeles Rams. It will also set the stage for what happens at the NFL draft next month.

But before we start evaluating post-free-agency rosters and trying to connect the dots between job openings on those rosters and college prospects, let's look at some players who just make sense for certain teams from a fit perspective.

That's exactly what ESPN's Matt Bowen did in a pair of pieces in which he offered scheme fits for offensive prospects and followed by doing the same for the defensive side.

Bowen had the Rams as an honorable-mention fit for North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz and Mississippi receiver Laquon Treadwell. But he saw an even better fit, a perfect match, for the Rams and Notre Dame receiver Will Fuller.

Fuller brings an intriguing mix of size (6 feet) and speed (4.32 seconds in the 40-yard dash). Bowen believes that Fuller would help stretch the field for the Rams and open things up for running back Todd Gurley and the misdirection they have for receiver Tavon Austin.

The Rams could certainly use the help at wideout, though they've been linked to Treadwell fairly regularly in mock drafts. Either way, it's a good bet that receiver will still be a position of need by the time the draft arrives.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh come on Wags... Dude had consistently high drop rates in his collegiate career. Can we please at least get an effin receiver who can catch the ball? Stop the madness.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh come on Wags... Dude had consistently high drop rates in his collegiate career. Can we please at least get an effin receiver who can catch the ball? Stop the madness.
I'm a die hard ND fan and have been known to suffer from homerism (Jimmy Clausen ugh). But on this player I do not have the Blue and Gold colored glasses on, and agree with you. He has the same issue that Golden Taint had upon entering the NFL. Body catcher. And his drops that you mentioned, were typically drive killers. He has great speed, and is tough but the only way I take a shot on him is maybe 4th round

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Agreed!! F Wags .. there are several WR I'd go with before Fuller! We have: * Coleman of Ohio
* Doctson of TCU
* Miller of Ohio
* Shepard of Okla.
And we can wait until a later round and get someone like * Listenbee of TCU! There are a lot of WR's equal to or better than Fuller. IMHO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Big No on this one. The Rams have had so many drops in the last three years that I couldn't stomach having to watch a new guy that likes to drop the ball too.

Besides that I am not impressed with his game at all. Ted Ginn Jr. Jr.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
He can definitely make some big plays but I agree he has too many drops. He has tiny hands and short arms, that is a bad combo for a wr.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'm also a Notre Dame fan and I love Will Fuller so I will pound the table for him. His drops are overblown, he also made a lot of very difficult catches. He's pretty much uncoverable , he's always open. He's a big play waiting to happen. Perfect fit for play action offense, with Fuller,
Austin and Gurley that's a lot of speed for defenses to deal with.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I'm also a Notre Dame fan and I love Will Fuller so I will pound the table for him. His drops are overblown, he also made a lot of very difficult catches. He's pretty much uncoverable , he's always open. He's a big play waiting to happen. Perfect fit for play action offense, with Fuller,

He's pretty much uncoverable at the collegiate level. Did teams ever try to press him at the LOS? He has a slight build. I'm not sure you could line him up outside against stronger NFL Corners.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like him the best because unlike some of the others Will Fuller can actually run fast!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't how his drops are overblown.
Seems that his drops fell in to 2 buckets
1) lack of concentration/
2) heard foot steps
At his pro day I'd sure like to see if he's catching balls with his hands, if he's still body catching, no go

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Don't how his drops are overblown.
Seems that his drops fell in to 2 buckets
1) lack of concentration/
2) heard foot steps
At his pro day I'd sure like to see if he's catching balls with his hands, if he's still body catching, no go

I say that because I watched every game he played at ND and the only games I remember drops being an issue were the Boston College and Stanford games. I think he has good hands he just needs to learn to use them better which he can do with coaching. He looked good catching with his hands at the combine.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
He's pretty much uncoverable at the collegiate level. Did teams ever try to press him at the LOS? He has a slight build. I'm not sure you could line him up outside against stronger NFL Corners.

Going through his videos it looks like most teams played off of him, respect for his speed i'm sure. However he's basically the same size as Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and he's bigger than Antonio Brown. I'm not comparing him to those guys yet but I don't think his size is a problem. If you press cover him you better have a safety over top or you will be burnt toast.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say that because I watched every game he played at ND and the only games I remember drops being an issue were the Boston College and Stanford games. I think he has good hands he just needs to learn to use them better which he can do with coaching. He looked good catching with his hands at the combine.
He's had big drops in his whole career.
I rep ND players to a fault but I can't see how you can't say his drops weren't an issue. I swear it seemed like at least 1 in every game

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
He's had big drops in his whole career.
I rep ND players to a fault but I can't see how you can't say his drops weren't an issue. I swear it seemed like at least 1 in every game

Well we will just have to disagree on that, like I said I watched every game and other than the two bad games I mentioned he was awesome. Without him and CJ Prosise ND would have sucked. Those two and J. Smith almost got ND into the playoff. The good outweighed the bad by a huge margin. I think he has good hands, he has a habit of body catching but that doesn't mean he has bad hands. He needs to learn to use his hands better and he'll be fine,

Ram65

Legend
I stated before that he is a big play waiting to happen. He has to concentrate more on those drops. I think he will improve in the pros. He is a good route runner, not little, makes the first tackler miss and speed to burn. He doesn't have to be a Ram to see what happens. The Rams need a go to first down maker first and foremost. Fuller, Tavon, Gurley and the go to WR would be hard to defend.