Is Nick Foles the Answer for the Rams at QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I am not sure what you are getting at. Year one with a bad division and facing bad defenses, mainly in their division they did well. Good defenses played them better in year two and some of the bad ones even figured out how to defend the Chip Kelly Eagles offense.
I'm just saying the Eagles Division sucked last year, except for Dallas, and for them to go 10-6 in it was no big deal. if the Rams were in that division the last two year they would have gone to the play-offs twice!

A55VA6

Legend
The past few years for the Rams at QB have been bad. I think Foles is better than an injured Bradford, and Clemens, Davis, Hill. So pretty much no matter what - I expect better QB play in 2015.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I'm just saying the Eagles Division sucked last year, except for Dallas, and for them to go 10-6 in it was no big deal. if the Rams were in that division the last two year they would have gone to the play-offs twice!

Overall I do not perceive any of the NFC East defenses to be that strong but on the flip side the NFC East Offenses are above average with the exception of Washington.

On a gut level I agree with you. I tend to view the NFC East as weaker than average but sadly our Rams lost to 3 of the 4 teams in that Division last year. Prior to the season I though the Rams were better than both Dallas and the Giants but the outcomes did not reflect that. The Giants game was a real stinker and embarrassment for the Rams defense IMO.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Rams went 1-3 against that division last year, soooo.....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesn't have to be the franchise.

The Rams were not going to pay Sam next offseason. So the got some good picks for him and a stop gap QB. Unless Foles does something amazing, I don't think they plan on paying him either. Even if Foles is league average some team like Cleveland will throw the bank at him.

I think the plan is to roll with Foles and prep Keenum to start in 2016, in case they cannot workout what they think is a reasonable deal with Nick....unless he is terrible this year...then they let him walk. They will look hard at QBs next year in the draft...again.
Did I read that right?

Keenum is the starter in 2016? Boy, I hope it doesn't come to that!!

Foles? It's already been debated back and forth... did the Rams get Foles 2013... or Foles 2014? Big difference. Why was it different? Opposing defenses? Maybe his skills diminished? Who knows.

What I do know is that, overall, the defenses in the NFC West are much better than the NFC East. And, IIRC, just about every time he played an NFC West defense, he struggled.

So, I have no idea which one we get... but I think it has to be better than the 2014 version.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did I read that right?

Foles? It's already been debated back and forth... did the Rams get Foles 2013... or Foles 2014? Big difference. Why was it different? Opposing defenses? Maybe his skills diminished? Who knows.

What I do know is that, overall, the defenses in the NFC West are much better than the NFC East. And, IIRC, just about every time he played an NFC West defense, he struggled.

So, I have no idea which one we get... but I think it has to be better than the 2014 version.

Yeah but I think you are taking wrong. We don't know what Foles we get. Keenum is insurance. Don't you agree that even an average year from Foles would cause a desperate team to want to pay him more than the Rams would? Do you want the Rams to compete for him if he is just average, but offered top money?

We don't know what he will be like. I hope somewhere in the middle but the Rams were not giving Sam another huge deal, and the Eagles weren't going to give Foles a huge contract after last years play. So they swapped. The only hing that can change that scenario is if one or both has a very good year, or even just good. I don't know what that will be. But either way there is no guarantee Foles comes they but I can gaurantee that some GM will offer him more money than he is worth. Heck three teams wanted Bradford off of two ACL tears. I am sure Snead and Fisher see this coming and wanted Keenum as a backup plan.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but I think you are taking wrong. We don't know what Foles we get. Keenum is insurance. Don't you agree that even an average year from Foles would cause a desperate team to want to pay him more than the Rams would? Good possibility.
Do you want the Rams to compete for him if he is just average, but offered top money? Nope.

We don't know what he will be like. I hope somewhere in the middle but the Rams were not giving Sam another huge deal, and the Eagles weren't going to give Foles a huge contract after last years play. So they swapped. The only hing that can change that scenario is if one or both has a very good year, or even just good. I don't know what that will be. But either way there is no guarantee Foles comes they but I can gaurantee that some GM will offer him more money than he is worth. Heck three teams wanted Bradford off of two ACL tears. I am sure Snead and Fisher see this coming and wanted Keenum as a backup plan.

Yeah, so you are still saying most roads lead to Keenum starting in 2016 and I think - even if they draft a good rook QB next year - that will be a disaster. I have little confidence in Keenum.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Did I read that right?

A lot of QB's have struggled against NFC a West defenses lately, RmfnIt. Lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It is not what I want either. But I am just trying to figure out their thinking, and it sounds like they are really hoping to see something in Keenum. If they does get better it would be great for the Rams. I am not really expecting a lot from Foles. I am hoping for a lot though.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
NO

We gave away 2 of those games....Eagles & Cowboys...
giants beat our breaks off....been wanting to say that....

Well, in the Cowpatty game...the Rams definitely sharted the bed....but if we had won the Iggles game, they would have been talking about how THEY gave the game away. Fuckin Pettis......and yes, the GGirls beat the brakes off us like we were on a lift at a Pep Boys.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, in the Cowpatty game...the Rams definitely sharted the bed....but if we had won the Iggles game, they would have been talking about how THEY gave the game away. freakin Pettis......and yes, the GGirls beat the brakes off us like we were on a lift at a Pep Boys.

That was not a shart. They was an all out evacuation of the entire lower gastrointestinal system.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was not a shart. They was an all out evacuation of the entire lower gastrointestinal system.
Yeah, that cowpoke game gave ME diarrhea....

fastcat

Pro Bowler
No big deal?????!!!!! I'd almost kill to be 10-6 no matter what division!!! Are you crazy.......???? 10-6 is nothing to sneeze at. And they beat us too... I cant believe you just said 10-6 is no big deal. You must be a closet patriots fan lol

FRO

Legend
I started making a video of all of Foles' throws over 15 yards from last year and started getting depressed. I may finish it, but I'm not so sure now. There were some good throws in there when the receivers were running free, but there were some really, really bad ones in there as well. I think maybe defensive coordinators got wise to Kelly's system, identified the areas that Foles struggled with, and threw a whole bunch of new wrinkles at him. Because it's like night and day between 2013 and 2014.

So, there is no answer to that question right now. I don't even think it can be answered this year.
Please finish it, because I would like to watch.

Not sure Foles is the long term answer. He is a better answer to Hill, Davis, and Clemmens. I'm worried our line will suck again and we won't be able to correctly measure how good he is. Can't believe the line hasn't been a priority in free agency. I understand not spending big money, but we have 3 starting positions wide open.

FRO

Legend
No big deal?????!!!!! I'd almost kill to be 10-6 no matter what division!!! Are you crazy.......???? 10-6 is nothing to sneeze at. And they beat us too... I cant believe you just said 10-6 is no big deal. You must be a closet patriots fan lol
Heck 9-7 and we are doing the happy dance.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I started making a video of all of Foles' throws over 15 yards from last year and started getting depressed. I may finish it, but I'm not so sure now. There were some good throws in there when the receivers were running free, but there were some really, really bad ones in there as well. I think maybe defensive coordinators got wise to Kelly's system, identified the areas that Foles struggled with, and threw a whole bunch of new wrinkles at him. Because it's like night and day between 2013 and 2014.

So, there is no answer to that question right now. I don't even think it can be answered this year.

This is why I'm not overly excited by the signing, all of his good throws seem to be to W-I-D-E open receivers, and very little in traffic, so lets hope for some serious improvements all round on offense if we're going above .500 this year... :(

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes that's what I'm saying. And I'll stand by it! Philly beat us by 6 points, we should have Won that game! Dallas We lost by 3 points and we should have Won that game! The Giants Sucked most of the Season and the Redskins well they need deodorizer! So YES I'm saying 10-6 in that div. was 'Easy Money!' With their schedule the Rams would have done better, even with the QB issue we had!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Please finish it, because I would like to watch.

Not sure Foles is the long term answer. He is a better answer to Hill, Davis, and Clemmens. I'm worried our line will suck again and we won't be able to correctly measure how good he is. Can't believe the line hasn't been a priority in free agency. I understand not spending big money, but we have 3 starting positions wide open.
I got as far as the 49er game before my internet starting being a bitch again, and it really wasn't pretty up until that point. I've got some time, so I'll probably finish it at some point. The only problem I have with finishing it is that people are going to go all ape-shit and demand I show the 2013 highlights for a fair comparison. I'm not interested in two years ago in a gimmick offense with no tape on Kelly. I think 2014 is a more accurate depiction of what we should expect here.