Is Nick Foles the Answer for the Rams at QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Is Nick Foles the Answer at QB for the Rams? Nate Burleson thinks he is if the Rams can protect him. Heath Evans questions his vision and decision making last year and wonders how he will do against the tough NFC West defenses.

Watch Foles Discussion

fearsomefour

Legend
I have to agree with Heath.
In not a big fan of Foles.
He is our guy now so I will be cautiously optimistic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I started making a video of all of Foles' throws over 15 yards from last year and started getting depressed. I may finish it, but I'm not so sure now. There were some good throws in there when the receivers were running free, but there were some really, really bad ones in there as well. I think maybe defensive coordinators got wise to Kelly's system, identified the areas that Foles struggled with, and threw a whole bunch of new wrinkles at him. Because it's like night and day between 2013 and 2014.

So, there is no answer to that question right now. I don't even think it can be answered this year.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I thought he was average at Philly. But his greatest asset is allowing us not to reach for one of the overrated QBs in this draft. So in that respect, he's fine with me.

jjab360

Legend
I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with what we get out of Foles this year. Maybe not a franchise savior but he's a legit NFL starting QB, unlike like what we've had under center the past year and a half.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it's ok guys cus we're a ground and pound run-first offense... oh what I forgot no we haven't been and we still don't have an Oline yet. good luck Nick

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Regardless of what was said about Nick it was nice not hearing the San Francisco 49ers mentioned as having a stout defense.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The main thing is, he's better than Shaun Hill and Austin Davis, so we will be better than we were last year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Just like Bradford, Foles is an enigma at the moment. As @jrry32 pointed out on the coach's tape, he has his fair share of deficiencies such as footwork but that may be due to playing in shotgun formation frequently. Apparently, his footwork is better when he plays under center. He also has good vision for looking downfield and around the line of scrimmage for run plays. We'll likely get Andy Dalton production out of him (mid-high 80's QB rating), that's really good considering the talent level we have around Foles in comparison to Dalton and the talent level around him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He doesn't have to be the franchise.

The Rams were not going to pay Sam next offseason. So the got some good picks for him and a stop gap QB. Unless Foles does something amazing, I don't think they plan on paying him either. Even if Foles is league average some team like Cleveland will throw the bank at him.

I think the plan is to roll with Foles and prep Keenum to start in 2016, in case they cannot workout what they think is a reasonable deal with Nick....unless he is terrible this year...then they let him walk. They will look hard at QBs next year in the draft...again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I started making a video of all of Foles' throws over 15 yards from last year and started getting depressed. I may finish it, but I'm not so sure now. There were some good throws in there when the receivers were running free, but there were some really, really bad ones in there as well. I think maybe defensive coordinators got wise to Kelly's system, identified the areas that Foles struggled with, and threw a whole bunch of new wrinkles at him. Because it's like night and day between 2013 and 2014.

So, there is no answer to that question right now. I don't even think it can be answered this year.

Defensive coordinators were sttruggling with Kelly's offense. But once they figured it out they knew how to attack it. Kelly's offense has someone hit every level of the field on every play. So a defense gets spread out trying to cover it all. Once they found a weakness, Foles deep accuracy, it reduced the attention paid to the deep part of the field. That is where Kelly's 'genius' offense fails. If you take one part away it is not nearly as affective.

Also consider that the Eagles played a majority of poor defenses that first year and that is who they beat up on. They didn't fare so well against more complete defenses. Just like in college they beat up on weak PAC defenses and lose the big ones to the Ohio states and Alabama's of college football, who have good defenses.

jjab360

Legend
He doesn't have to be the franchise.

The Rams were not going to pay Sam next offseason. So the got some good picks for him and a stop gap QB. Unless Foles does something amazing, I don't think they plan on paying him either. Even if Foles is league average some team like Cleveland will throw the bank at him.

I think the plan is to roll with Foles and prep Keenum to start in 2016, in case they cannot workout what they think is a reasonable deal with Nick....unless he is terrible this year...then they let him walk. They will look hard at QBs next year in the draft...again.
If Foles is league average then that likely means we're a winning football team given how good our defense should be. I seriously doubt we plan all along to let a part of that formula walk so that we can roll with Case Keenum.

If that was their plan and they had that little faith in Foles, I'm pretty sure they would've just traded Bradford for the first round pick.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I still say if Petty, Grayson or Hundley can be future starters in this league we should draft one if he's there in the 3rd.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In the end ,both teams traded away a player they had reservations about that were justifiable. If Sam goes injury free with the running game he should have IMO they can go deep into the playoffs, and it goes unchallenged that he has more ability, but the greatest ability is availability.
IMO had our QB's last year JUST not hurt us we'd have been the wildcard team and Foles does a better job of not hurting his team than Hill /Davis.
So like others said before ,he is an improvement over last year ,so he is the answer to the Q: are we better at that position than we were last year? since Sam wasn't part of who he has to be better than I say yes.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I thought he was average at Philly. But his greatest asset is allowing us not to reach for one of the overrated QBs in this draft. So in that respect, he's fine with me.

Actually the trade MAY have provided the ammo to make a trade up to get a guy who is worth it instead of "reaching".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Foles is league average then that likely means we're a winning football team given how good our defense should be. I seriously doubt we plan all along to let a part of that formula walk so that we can roll with Case Keenum.

If that was their plan and they had that little faith in Foles, I'm pretty sure they would've just traded Bradford for the first round pick.

It all depends on how well Foles plays this year. If Foles plays to the level that Keenum has in the past few starts he has, why compete with other teams to pay Foles big bucks? Keenum is definitely the backup plan. If Foles plays like he did in his first year with Kelly, then great! I am sure they will sign him. If he plays like he did in his second season, then I don't think they will sign him because some QB starved team will fork over more money than he is worth. So the Rams have Keenum as a backup plan and can draft a QB in this or the next draft.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Here's the thing. We don't need him to be "The answer". We need him to be part of the equation. Peyton Manning clearly hasn't been the answer for Denver, and he's the best that's ever played. Nick just has to do what he's asked. If we want to go deep into the playoffs we need a collective team effort from all 3 phases. Some of you guys are obsessed with whether or not Foles is the savior of the franchise. He's better then what we had last season. But in a different way then you think. He won't throw a pick six on his own 10 yard line down by 4 with 5 mins left to go in the game. And that's all we need.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

And the "rest of the story " does anyone doubt he'll be better this year than a rookie we'd draft?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
consider that the Eagles played a majority of poor defenses that first year and that is who they beat up on.
With the exception of Dallas last year, their whole Div. sucked last year too! and they went 10-6. no big whoop!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With the exception of Dallas last year, their whole Div. sucked last year too! and they went 10-6. no big whoop!

I am not sure what you are getting at. Year one with a bad division and facing bad defenses, mainly in their division they did well. Good defenses played them better in year two and some of the bad ones even figured out how to defend the Chip Kelly Eagles offense.