Is more accountability on the way with this roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
To begin with I think it is obvious that Foles was playing poorly. I don't think it is all him, however I concede that the change was necessary after how badly his play slipped in each of the last several games.

What does concern me is that the play of some other offensive players warranted accountability before they sat their leader. Cook is the obvious example of what I am talking about here but he is not alone. Others are guys like Britt, GRob, Mason, etc who have earned demotions. Whether or not there are guys behind them on the depth chart who can do the job certainly factors in, however I still think it should have been done.

With Cook the OC simply replaces him with Quick in the scheme, or goes with single TE and 3 wide or even back to an I formation backfield. Cook's bench time can be schemed around, no question in my mind.

GRob seemed to have nobody behind him who was an option once Roger went out, however they do have Battle who is likely not too much of a dropoff in pass pro. I understand why they kept GRob out there, as I also still have hope for the guy to be that LT we wanted at 2 overall. But after that last game if the guy does not play better I'd sit him immediately and give Battle a shot.

One might think that Mason has already felt a demotion, which is true. But if he cannot come in and spell Gurley in limited snaps without mistakes he does not deserve to be 2 on the depth chart. Promote Cunningham.

Britt did some good things in and around his disappearing acts, sure, but like Cook this is not a young WR on the upswing. He is a vet who has likely peaked. Quick should have had his snaps from day one IMO and should now.

That accountability has been missing on offense for too long, outside of Fisher's treatment of his QBs not named Bradford. For some reason his critical eye does not extend to that side of the ball. I'll say it yet again: if Cook was a LB he would have been demoted long ago. IMO now that the big chip has fallen with Foles maybe that will happen? Maybe we'll start seeing these garbage performances on offense cost players their starting opportunities.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Quick should have had his snaps from day one IMO and should now.

I don't think Quick was out due to lack of opportunity. The word seems to be that he couldn't grasp the new playbook. I still have hopes for him going forward especially with Case. If Quick ever takes the #1 spot, I think Britt will excel as a #2. He's one of the few glimmers of hope on this offense, he just can't be that guy.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few thoughts...

1] Fisher doesn't make moves until his back is squarely and unquestionably to the wall.
2] Depth - yeah, you could switch Quick for Cook perhaps... but, overall, the depth on offense is not there IMO

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think Quick was out due to lack of opportunity. The word seems to be that he couldn't grasp the new playbook. I still have hopes for him going forward especially with Case. If Quick ever takes the #1 spot, I think Britt will excel as a #2. He's one of the few glimmers of hope on this offense, he just can't be that guy.
I think you nailed it! At least I hope your right!!(y)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Quick was out due to lack of opportunity. The word seems to be that he couldn't grasp the new playbook.
That's got to be an excuse because Cignetti said they simplified the play book.

Either Cignetti was lying, or Quick just isn't very smart.

Not sure which is the truth.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's got to be an excuse because Cignetti said they simplified the play book.

Either Cignetti was lying, or Quick just isn't very smart.

Not sure which is the truth.

I don't know anything as a fact but Quick was cleared to play in TC. He also played good in TC. I see no other reason he would be out so long myself.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know anything as a fact but Quick was cleared to play in TC. He also played good in TC. I see no other reason he would be out so long myself.
Like I said... 2+2=5 here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook? Yes. Demote him.
Robinson? Hell freaking no.
Mason? He's already not playing that much. Cunningham is seeing similar number of snaps.
Britt? Borderline. I think he's already been demoted to a degree with Quick getting more snaps. Now that Welker is here, he might see even less snaps. But I'm fine with Quick taking over at the starter. But yea, his play isn't at an acceptable level right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Quick wasn't playing early in the year because of his injury. He is still working his way back. Fisher said that earlier in the season. I highly doubt it's the playbook. He's starting to get back to where he was. The guy had a serious injury. It takes time to recover...and when you do, you're rusty. He's shaking the rust off.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
It all hurts to much I just want to Party like we use to.
b5zbrp7nzga1cbqf1ub6.gif

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Battle is a big dropoff. He's a good athlete, and will get better, but good fundamentals are only learned one way....numerous repetitions of doing them the right way. He also needs to keep getting stronger, which, I have no doubt, he will.

I think this team would be without JL55, Cook, Kendricks, GRob, Havenstein, J. Brown, Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, A. Donnal, D. Rhaney, A. Ogletree, J. Jenkins, B. Quick, K. Britt, Tavon, etc. If we held every player accountable, for every bad game.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Quick wasn't playing early in the year because of his injury. He is still working his way back. Fisher said that earlier in the season. I highly doubt it's the playbook. He's starting to get back to where he was. The guy had a serious injury. It takes time to recover...and when you do, you're rusty. He's shaking the rust off.

Several things, in terms of the Ram's initial thinking coming into this year, have lead to the current situation with Quick specifically and the team overall:
  • Ram's made the decision in the offseason (before OTAs) that they would feature T. Austin at all cost this season (as indicative of the jump in total touches....less than 6 before and greater than 10 now) hence the decision to get him more snaps at WR.
  • Quick injury was so bad that the Rams did not believe he would be back or functioning at last year level ( if at all) until week 6-8. This not his ability to grasp the offense is why he has been a none factor. They prepared early on to go another way re WRs.
  • Thus Britt is at one primary WR and Austin at the other with Bailey soaking up the rest of the practice reps and game day targets.
  • Simplify the offense.
  • Recommit to running the ball. (Draft Gurley and use lots of 2 TE and FB sets to control time of possession.
  • This means that Britt, Cook or Kendricks are your intermediate/mid field options options.
  • Assumed Foles could make the switch from a shogun to an accurate play action, drop back passer.
  • Reliance on the defense to contain and or stop opposing offenses and special teams to regularly flip the field.
  • Assumed that an O-line made up of 6 draftees would withstand the rigors of an NFL season, start the season being able to run block and constantly improve their pass blocking
After 9 weeks it is clear that the Ram's will have to rethink a lot of these core assumptions and recalibrate how they approach things. To me this is more important than "holding" certain players accountable. Foremost, how do they integrate Keenum into the offense scheme behind a depleted O-line while also increasing the production of the passing game? How this gets answered will determine our season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, we have seen Foles benched and Grob called out by Fisher this week that is at least a start for accountability.

Cook is not coming out of this offense, there is no replacement for him on this team. Kendricks has been just as bad with the drops and has been dealing with a broken hand.
Quick might finally be ready to play but Foles has been so bad he can't get the ball to him, maybe we see some improvement there with Keenum if the oline doesn't get him beaten down.
Robinson who knows, some of the calls in the Chicago game I thought were bad but he certainly is not showing he's worth #2 overall, hated it when it happened and still do, Matthews was the right pick.

Too many freaking injuries again for this team they just can't play half a schedule without losing key parts, making it a full year and playoffs seems it will never happen.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Several things, in terms of the Ram's initial thinking coming into this year, have lead to the current situation with Quick specifically and the team overall:
  • Ram's made the decision in the offseason (before OTAs) that they would feature T. Austin at all cost this season (as indicative of the jump in total touches....less than 6 before and greater than 10 now) hence the decision to get him more snaps at WR.
  • Quick injury was so bad that the Rams did not believe he would be back or functioning at last year level ( if at all) until week 6-8. This not his ability to grasp the offense is why he has been a none factor. They prepared early on to go another way re WRs.
  • Thus Britt is at one primary WR and Austin at the other with Bailey soaking up the rest of the practice reps and game day targets.
  • Simplify the offense.
  • Recommit to running the ball. (Draft Gurley and use lots of 2 TE and FB sets to control time of possession.
  • This means that Britt, Cook or Kendricks are your intermediate/mid field options options.
  • Assumed Foles could make the switch from a shogun to an accurate play action, drop back passer.
  • Reliance on the defense to contain and or stop opposing offenses and special teams to regularly flip the field.
  • Assumed that an O-line made up of 6 draftees would withstand the rigors of an NFL season, start the season being able to run block and constantly improve their pass blocking
After 9 weeks it is clear that the Ram's will have to rethink a lot of these core assumptions and recalibrate how they approach things. To me this is more important than "holding" certain players accountable. Foremost, how do they integrate Keenum into the offense scheme behind a depleted O-line while also increasing the production of the passing game? How this gets answered will determine our season.

Tavon Austin is not being used more. Up until the Vikings game he averaged about 1/2 a touch more than last season. Against the vikings they upped his run plays and then dropped his touches right back down to 5 against the Bears. In fairness, against the Bears, he had a TD and 1st down called back on penalties but even those put him at only 7 touches. How you ignore Gurley and TA against a bad run defense...I just don't know.

August 27, 2015:

“Brian is cleared and ready to go,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said on Tuesday. “He’s ready to go. We expect him to play this week. So it was tremendous effort considering the news that we got once we examined the shoulder after the Kansas City game, because there was significant damage to it and there was some question as to whether he would return.”

By the way, we have (had) 2 draftees on the line, not 6.

Cook is not coming out of this offense, there is no replacement for him on this team. Kendricks has been just as bad with the drops and has been dealing with a broken hand.

Kendricks had a few drops early. He's been pretty reliable ever since. Cook has somewhat improved over the last game or two which makes me feel like he's setting us up for the big fail more than he's getting better. Even when he catches the ball, it's often ugly.

Quick might finally be ready to play but Foles has been so bad he can't get the ball to him, maybe we see some improvement there with Keenum if the oline doesn't get him beaten down.

Foles has missed Quick. Quick has also dropped easy catches and more difficult catches. It also appears he ran wrong routes several times. Let's hope the rust is almost gone because Case will hit him long if he gets the chance.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Tavon Austin is not being used more. Up until the Vikings game he averaged about 1/2 a touch more than last season. Against the vikings they upped his run plays and then dropped his touches right back down to 5 against the Bears. In fairness, against the Bears, he had a TD and 1st down called back on penalties but even those put him at only 7 touches. How you ignore Gurley and TA against a bad run defense...I just don't know.

Tavon's targets or opprotunities (Receiving targets, rushes and punt returns (excluding fair catches and punts out of bounds) are up from 7.6 per game in 2014 to 10.7 in 2015 or an increase of just over 39%. The increase is related to pass targets and runs since since the number of punt returns has remained steady at just over 2 per game. While I do not dispute your statement that his touches are up only 1/2 per game, I believe this is more of a refection of the accuracy issues with Foles.

August 27, 2015:

“Brian is cleared and ready to go,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said on Tuesday. “He’s ready to go. We expect him to play this week. So it was tremendous effort considering the news that we got once we examined the shoulder after the Kansas City game, because there was significant damage to it and there was some question as to whether he would return.”

I take this to mean we did not expect him to be back this early. And the fact that they sat him the first 2 games for Givens leads me to believe they made other plans.

By the way, we have (had) 2 draftees on the line, not 6.

My statement was directed at the fact that 6 of 10 O-linemen on the opening day roster and practice squad were rookies (Havenstein, Brown, Wichmann, Donnal, Williams and Battle).

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon's targets or opprotunities (Receiving targets, rushes and punt returns (excluding fair catches and punts out of bounds) are up from 7.6 per game in 2014 to 10.7 in 2015 or an increase of just over 39%. The increase is related to pass targets and runs since since the number of punt returns has remained steady at just over 2 per game. While I do not dispute your statement that his touches are up only 1/2 per game, I believe this is more of a refection of the accuracy issues with Foles.

I take this to mean we did not expect him to be back this early. And the fact that they sat him the first 2 games for Givens leads me to believe they made other plans.

My statement was directed at the fact that 6 of 10 O-linemen on the opening day roster and practice squad were rookies (Havenstein, Brown, Wichmann, Donnal, Williams and Battle).

Tavon's touches have been broadcast as getting him involved more by all the talking heads all season. It's just not true.

He had one game with 8 carries all season and he had 8.3 YPC. How do they give him 5 touches total in a loss to a bad rush defending team!? Dude does not touch the ball enough. It's just a sad waste of talent.

Quick was cleared long ago. If there's something there physically, I sure don't know what it is.

The line has been declared as all rookies by the talking heads over and over. It's just like, what are you talking about?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cook has somewhat improved over the last game or two which makes me feel like he's setting us up for the big fail more than he's getting better. Even when he catches the ball, it's often ugly.
Holy backhanded compliment.... LOL
Hey man, Cook goes for 100+ yards receiving & 2 TD's today, you change your Avitar to a picture of Jared Cook.....

He has played well...give it to him... He saw he needed to up his game, and he has....He's looked damn good the last 2 games....

RamzFanz

Damnit
Holy backhanded compliment.... LOL
Hey man, Cook goes for 100+ yards receiving & 2 TD's today, you change your Avitar to a picture of Jared Cook.....

He has played well...give it to him... He saw he needed to up his game, and he has....He's looked damn good the last 2 games....

This was never at risk of actually happening. :)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This was never at risk of actually happening. :)
I thought the first pass of the game was Cook...It was Kendricks, but boy was I gonna talk Shit!!!! ahahhahahahahahah....Man, I keep starting rams wide receivers in fantasy too...:football: