Is Mike Thomas poised to be Kenny Britt's replacement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Keep Kenny Britt another year or roll with Thomas on the outside?

• Thomas, if he has a good year

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Britt, can't beat that experience

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Neither, lets bring on Cooper

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Is Mike Thomas poised to be Kenny Britt's replacement?
gettyimages-502538574.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/11/is-mike-thomas-poised-to-be-kenny-britts-replacement/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 1 hour ago

The Los Angeles Rams have been in the process of sculpting a talented and unique roster over the past years. With all the talent, though the Rams might not have enough room to pay one specific wide receiver after this season.

Rutgers own Kenny Britt was initially brought into the league by way of the Rams head coach Jeff Fisher, but that was back in Tennessee. Britt has had his ups and downs to this point, which may leave Fisher and the Rams brass to mull over the idea of choosing not to re-sign him after the 2016 season.

Why would the Rams part with their leading wide receiver? Well, for starters, he is very replaceable as things currently stand. You want to love Britt but you really can’t, you can like him, but he just isn’t ever going to mold into that elite go-to target that the Rams so badly wanted him to become.

Related:

LOOK: Kenny Britt one-ups Ezekiel Elliott in crop-top swagger

Fortunately, that’s alright, because in steps rookie wide receiver Mike Thomas from Southern Mississippi. The Rams spent one of their three sixth-round draft picks in 2016 on the talented receiver. Thomas was a victim of scouts overvaluing speed and not looking at the technicalities of being a receiver who is reliable and can run crisp routes like Thomas.

Thomas is not a crazy prospect by any means. His 4.53-forty time isn’t the best and his vertical jump of 36 inches doesn’t wow you. However, Thomas is a major threat to overtake that number one wide receiver job at some point down the line, thus potentially making Britt obsolete.

What it comes down to is this. Thomas has ideal size for an NFL starting wide receiver, as he stands at 6-foot-1 and weighs in at 200 pounds. Britt is a little taller at 6-foot-3 and bigger at 223 pounds, but Britt has not been dominate by any means. Thomas will cost a lot less as well, compared to re-signing Britt to what could potentially wind up being an $8-10 million contract, depending on how strong of a year he has in 2016.

mikethomassouthernmiss.jpg

Speaking of that, Thomas will also need to show the Rams he can start before they even consider the idea of him replacing Britt. The Rams could very well view Thomas as a longer-term project, which could potentially push a guy like Pharoh Cooper, who was drafted three rounds ahead of Thomas, above him.

While it is well documented that the Rams loved Cooper, they like him as a slot receiver, while Thomas is more cut out to be on the outside. With the big play and jump ball ability that he showed at Southern Mississippi, it’s hard to imagine Thomas not working his way up to becoming a starter if he produces the way he did in college.

Don’t be surprised if Thomas logs some serious regular season reps in 2016. The Rams know they landed a good player in him, and it could only be a matter of time before he pushes a player or two out of the rotation.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Gotta, get these new guys some much needed snaps this year... Because you got to believe everything is geared for 2016.2017 season playoff wise IMHO

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta, get these new guys some much needed snaps this year... Because you got to believe everything is geared for 2016.2017 season playoff wise IMHO
Believe me I know! Big offseason in 2017 as well guys like Britt, Keenum and Ayers we just won't be able to afford bringing them back

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Britt, he's been very good for the Rams and he's only been productive when playing for Jeff Fisher, so Rams will get another home town discount.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I didn't vote because their isn't an option to keep both. Which is what I would do. I'd like to see Britt play with a starting caliber QB. Flirting with 1000 yards despite nothing's throwing him the ball. Thomas won't be ready to start this year.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
IMO, Britt is a no-brainer to keep on the roster this season. Rams need experience at the WR position and Britt brings the veteran savvy to know how to help his rookie QB out when things go south and he needs to break a route to give him a target. I like Thomas and think he has potential, with time. Not expecting this season to be the time, he'll be fighting for the last WR position or quite possibly looking at the practice squad. It's all conjecture at this point, but 6th round draft picks don't usually have much impact their first season in the NFL.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Britt gets no respect. Everyone is always thinking (and/or even hoping!) that younger receiver XYZ will replace him. We're now at the point receiver XYZ is a 6th round draft pick. Sad. I am hopeful Thomas might become something but come on...

All Britt has ever done is be consistently productive at the NFL level in the conventional wide-out role. That's 10x more than any other Rams receiver can say at this point. He also does a very good job of getting open deep, and you need players who can take the top off opposing defences. To that end, no other Ram WR has suffered from poor QB play as much as Britt has - the number of times he has been open deep, waiving his arms, only for the QB not to spot him is maddening. Last year vs. Minnesota comes to mind. Britt isn't going anywhere. That's a good thing. I'm glad to have him. He also brings some experience to a young position group.

He isn't a #1 WR but that's okay. Not every player on the roster can be elite at his position. It isn't realistic. And even if it were, there's still this thing called the salary cap.

You think with an offense as pathetic as ours in recent years, people would actually appreciate one of the few guys that manages to consistently produce decent numbers. Not so, apparently.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another nice write up! IMO I didn't vote because I think he will but it won't be just this year it'll be a 2 or 3 year process. I could see Britt being brought back, he's a FA after this season, unless somebody drops big money on him. It won't be a long term contract say a 2 or 3 year deal where he makes some good money and provides a veteran target for Goff while Cooper, Thomas and the UDFA and TE's develop to eventually take over the reigns. By then Britt will be that veteran leadership WR and safety blanket type guy like Boldin for a young playoff team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO Britt is a prototype top shelf #2 WR who just so happens to be better than anyone else that's been here for several years. Would love to see someone(anyone!) develop into a #1 guy on the other side. Someone physical with freakish hands, speed and some size.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I will say it again when you get KB involved early he is a factor when he goes stretches without targets he gets frustrated and doesn't make as much of an impact. He will be fine with Goff and is our best receiver outside of the versatile TA.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Britt out wide...I like the work he's done with Quick...I think he can also help Thomas and Marquez North....I don't want him to ever leave....

He's finally gotten a real QB, I expect his best year yet....50 catches 850+ yards....

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Speculation, it's all we can do during the offseason. There are just too many unknowns to intelligently predict how this offense will fare. Let's list the most obvious:

1. Can the offensive line stay healthy enough to form a cohesive unit?

2. How long will it take for Goff to acclimate to the toughest job in sports?

3. How effective will the new Boras/Groh offense be, and how long will it take to develop?

4. Besides Goff, how many rookie mistakes can we expect from Cooper, Higbee, Thomas, et al?

5. How will this squad respond to the inevitable adversity it will face playing against some of the elite/mature defenses on the schedule?

6. If Fisher was slow about starting guys like Asron Donald in his rookie year, how long will he tend to lean on veterans when this influx of lesser talented than Donald rookies try to vie for playing time on the offense?

7. If the stated goal is to feed Gurley and double the receptions of Austin, how can any of the other receivers make a whole lot of impact?

8. Since Snisher decided to go with SO MANY rookie receivers to develop in training camp, which cream will actually rise to the top?

In my opinion, Thomas v Britt barely registers as a compelling question this year. This administration seems to be throwing all its spaghetti on the wall and waiting to see which noodles will stick. Hell, they even brought Quick back for a year just to see where lightning might strike.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Thomas is good enough to make signing Britt a tough decision, but as Leo said, how will Thomas get enough passes thrown his way for anyone to know? I like both of these guys but if Thomas ends up being better than Britt and Cooper ends up being better than the rest then great. The Rams could use some top talent at the WR position. If Thomas can beat out Britt, then he is pretty Damon good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To me, WR is one of the most difficult positions to gauge on this roster.

The guys that were here before (Britt, Austin, etc.)... had a mixed bag of QB's passing to them.

The new guys (Cooper, Thomas, Williams, etc.)... who knows what we have in these rookies yet?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Britt is a prototype top shelf #2 WR who just so happens to be better than anyone else that's been here for several years. Would love to see someone(anyone!) develop into a #1 guy on the other side. Someone physical with freakish hands, speed and some size.

brian quick?

…..

Legend
I'm all for a diamond in the rough so to speak......so hope Thomas can develop into something special.

but Kenny Britt needs to be Kenny Britts replacement. In other words, we need him to maximize his skill set and be the guy he can be.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
To me, WR is one of the most difficult positions to gauge on this roster.

The guys that were here before (Britt, Austin, etc.)... had a mixed bag of QB's passing to them.

The new guys (Cooper, Thomas, Williams, etc.)... who knows what we have in these rookies yet?

I think you nailed it, CGI.

Geez, we haven't really seen Britt with a capable QB, yet. Much less a good one.

Wouldn't be a big surprise if Britt and Goff bond early and start making beautiful music together. And I mean this year.

If that happens, I see Britt here for a few more years. Maybe three.

But if not, and/or one of our rookies pleasantly surprises ala Gaines did in '14, then this will likely be Britt's last year as a Ram.

Could go in either direction, so I agree with you that WR is one of the most difficult positions to gauge. Camp and preseason will provide some clues. Can't wait...