Is Marc Bulger a Rams legend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Marc also led my favorite comeback in my young history as Ram fan going back to 1990 and picking the Horns as my team to pull for. The comeback against the Seahawks in Seattle in the regular season being down 17 points in the 4th Qtr and leading a furious comeback hitting Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald for the game winning TD in OT. That win is right behind the 00 SB win for me. You just knew you always had a shot with Marc and Martz at the time.

Imagine what Bulger could do with a Fisher D??
I was there with my dad and a bunch of Rams fan friends. It was freaking priceless.
RamsVsSeachickens'04B.jpg

Attachments

• RamsVsSeachickens'04.jpg
    RamsVsSeachickens'04.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 131

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's a shame that he never gets the recognition he deserves. It's unfortunate he came at the time he did, and people needed an easily quantifiable scapegoat and QBs already take more blame than they should anyways.

Guy played through broken ribs just to give us the best chance we had to win on Sunday, that alone made me admire him and wish him well for the rest of his life.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He still had one of the league's top offensive supporting casts for most of his first five seasons.
He was officially made starter in 2004. In his first five seasons he had Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Timmerman and Faulk for one year. Not exactly the whole gang.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
A Rams legend or an NFL legend? Rams legend, sure. Why not? He certainly has the stats compared to any other Rams QB not named Warner.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He was officially made starter in 2004. In his first five seasons he had Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Timmerman and Faulk for one year. Not exactly the whole gang.

Well, he started 22 games in 2002-03, more than any other Ram QB.

Can't discount the boost Faulk gave him. In Bulger's first three starts Faulk rushed for 519 yards and scored six TDs.

I think they should put him(Faulk) in(the Hall of Fame) already, the first active player. He's like Superman out there
-Bulger, Oct 20, 2002, second NFL start.

In his fourth NFL start he threw for 453 yards and four TDs. This is a QB that is benefiting big time from the talent around him.

No, it wasn't the 1999-01 Rams, but so what? It's still better than 3/4 of the rest of the NFL. Rams passing game ranked in the top five every year from 1999-2006.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Can't discount the boost Faulk gave him. In Bulger's first three starts Faulk rushed for 519 yards and scored six TDs.

In his fourth NFL start he threw for 453 yards and four TDs. This is a QB that is benefiting big time from the talent around him.

No, it wasn't the 1999-01 Rams, but so what? It's still better than 3/4 of the rest of the NFL. Rams passing game ranked in the top five every year from 1999-2006.
Still to say he benefited from the top offensive support in the NFL isn't the truth, since the GSOT was already dissolving by the time he came into the starter role.

Sure he had guys like Holt, Timmerman, Pace and Bruce. But the guys that were replaced by them are a significant and noticeable difference. I mean the guy was sacked 41 times and still stood up and made plays, the guy had a good cast but he carried himself very well. Ask Aaron Rodgers, you don't get sacked a million times and still throw for a bunch of yards because of a system.

I'm not going to sit here and say he didn't have some good guys, but give credit where credit is due, Bulger helped significantly.

Tony Banks had pretty much the same team and you see how far he got.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Your last sentence sums it up. He didn’t have the GSOT in 04-06. The GSOT players he did have were old, injury prone, and not the players they were. People like Miller and Nutten were replaced with junk. Still made the Rams passing attack top 5. I don't see why he wouldn't be a Rams legend.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Definitely not a legend. When you factor in that he had a legendary supporting cast, they would make a lot of QBs look good. Once he was without Bruce, Holt, Faulk, etc then his true colors started to show. He had the arm strength of an ostrich too.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Definitely not a legend. When you factor in that he had a legendary supporting cast, they would make a lot of QBs look good. Once he was without Bruce, Holt, Faulk, etc then his true colors started to show. He had the arm strength of an ostrich too.

Wasn't his best year in 06? With none of the legendary cast or even competent coaching. If we discount Bulger's stats because of his teammates before 04, then we have to inflate them after that. To account for the awful teammates. It's only fair. After all, Warners best years he had hall of fame talent actually in their prime. Do we discount those years? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Marc also led my favorite comeback in my young history as Ram fan going back to 1990 and picking the Horns as my team to pull for. The comeback against the Seahawks in Seattle in the regular season being down 17 points in the 4th Qtr and leading a furious comeback hitting Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald for the game winning TD in OT. That win is right behind the 00 SB win for me. You just knew you always had a shot with Marc and Martz at the time.

Imagine what Bulger could do with a Fisher D??

For me it was the final Jets game, I think that same year. It was the first full regular season game I watched from kickoff until the final score. It was a game winning FG that made the Rams get into the playoffs.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the logic as to blaming Bulger for running Warner out of town...All he did was to play when he was told to play, and do it to the best of his ability...
Bulger didn't run Warner out of town... Martz did.

MrMotes

Starter
Warner ran himself out of town by asking for his release and saying things like:

"coaches say I was reading the Bible too much and it was taking away from my play. People were saying I had lost my job [as Rams starter] because of my faith."

Bulger was a 6th round pick who got bounced by the Saints and then GB before eventually finding himself as the Rams 3rd string QB. From there he went on to become our #2 all time passer with almost 23k yards as a Ram. I'd say that's pretty legendary. Yes he's a Rams legend.

Problem is he came right after the greatest Rams legend of all time so his legend doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner ran himself out of town by asking for his release and saying things like:

"coaches say I was reading the Bible too much and it was taking away from my play. People were saying I had lost my job [as Rams starter] because of my faith."

Bulger was a 6th round pick who got bounced by the Saints and then GB before eventually finding himself as the Rams 3rd string QB. From there he went on to become our #2 all time passer with almost 23k yards as a Ram. I'd say that's pretty legendary. Yes he's a Rams legend.

Problem is he came right after the greatest Rams legend of all time so his legend doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison...
Most bizarre... if the coaches said that, then, yes they (including Martz) ran him out of town.

I find it very hard to believe that reading the Bible took that much of a toll on his play. Did he refuse to practice or attend meetings because he was reading the Bible? :ROFLMAO:

His play had deteriorated due to injuries that (and here's where I took issue with him) he minimized. Blaming his devotion to the Bible was just an excuse, IMO.

He had some good moments in New York and, obviously, did very well in Arizona.

Did he stop reading the Bible?

I liked Bulger (was on the Bulger side of the EWBD) but I believe that, had Warner not been injured and all things remained as Bulger had them, Warner would have put up amazing numbers.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for fans who rely heavily on Bulger's production, despite the fact that the team went 45-67 with him at the helm (again, I really liked him... loved his grittiness)

Would you consider Steven Jackson a Rams legend? He's the all time franchise leader in rushing.

MrMotes

Starter
Sure Jackson's a Rams legend. But he was a highly regarded 1st round pick so he certainly wasn't a surprise. Bulger coming from relative obscurity to accomplish what he did makes him a little more legendary in my book.

The legend of Marc Bulger has the misfortune of following the greatest Rams legend of all time, Kurt Warner, who came from less and accomplished more. Still, the legend of Marc Bulger stands on its own...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question for fans who rely heavily on Bulger's production, despite the fact that the team went 45-67 with him at the helm (again, I really liked him... loved his grittiness)

Would you consider Steven Jackson a Rams legend? He's the all time franchise leader in rushing.
goodpoint.gif