Is Marc Bulger a Rams legend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

View: https://twitter.com/DBL_L_01/status/610604964570750976

===========================

http://talkgridiron.com/ramstalk/2015/06/marc-bulger-deserves-to-be-considered-a-rams-legend/

nfl_g_mbulger1_576.jpg

Posted by: Steve Rebeiro in 1995-2004, 2005-Present, Everything Rams, Featured 2 days ago

Marc Bulger is one of the most under appreciated players in St. Louis Rams history. Many fans remember him for his rapid decline late in his career, but Bulger should be remembered for leading the Rams to the playoffs twice and putting up monster numbers in the process. He did have one of the best stretches for a quarterback in Rams history, despite a very brief prime.

Bulger was a star in college at West Virginia University, but his career with the Mountaineers was ended abruptly by an injury during his senior season. His draft stock took a hit as a result and the New Orleans Saints selected him in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. After bouncing around the league, Bulger found a spot on the Rams practice squad during his rookie year and remained a part of it during the Rams 2001 NFC Championship season.

Bulger made the roster in 2002, serving as the third-string quarterback behind reigning MVP Kurt Warner and his backup Jamie Martin. The Rams began the season 0-5, despite Warner starting three games before suffering an injury. Bulger finally got his shot when Martin went down with an injury following Week 5. Bulger led the Rams on a five-game winning streak, throwing for 1,496 yards and 12 touchdowns during that stretch. Bulger finished the 2002 season with a 6-0 record in games he both started and finished.

Warner was still the Rams starter going into the 2003 season, but Bulger took over following Warner’s poor Week 1 performance and never looked back. The St Louis Rams finished 12-4, winning the NFC West and earning a first round bye. Bulger’s Pro Bowl performance served as the catalyst for the Rams success. He threw for 3,845 yards and 22 touchdowns. He would later be named MVP of the 2004 Pro Bowl following the Super Bowl.

Marc Bulger continued his success in 2004. He threw for 3,964 yards and 21 touchdowns in 14 games. The Rams finished 8-8 and earned a wildcard berth. Bulger and the Rams defeated the Seattle Seahawks in the first round, their last playoff victory as of the 2014 season.

Bulger recorded a career year in 2006 after an injury-riddled 2005 season. He set career highs in passing yards (4,301) and touchdowns (24) while playing in 16 games for the first time in his career. Bulger was selected to his second Pro Bowl and led the Rams to an 8-8 record, barely missing the playoffs.

Everything went downhill for Bulger following the 2006 season. Bulger started 35 games over the next three years, winning just five of them. Bulger threw for 34 interceptions and only 27 touchdowns. The Ram’s brutal offensive line was a big part of Bulger’s downfall. Bulger was sacked 89 times over this three-year stretch and a total of 254 times in his career. This resulted in rib injuries and concussions, two injuries that would be recurring during his final few years in St. Louis. Bulger was placed on the injury report 21 times during his last three years with the Rams. He left the Rams following the 2009 season and went to Baltimore, but he never threw a pass in his one season with the Ravens.

It’s hard for any quarterback to accumulate success without the right talent around him. Bulger put up outstanding numbers when he had both Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce at the peak of their careers. But once age caught up to both of them, it seemed to catch up to Bulger as well. Although his prime was brief, it was one of the better stints any quarterback has had in a Rams uniform.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
yea...for running Kurt outta the Lou...pretty legendary....still eats at me just a lil bit...and I hold it against Mark..and I shouldn't..but I do...
Lennard Little was more legendary IMO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can see this is going to go well. Poking the tigers through the cage again - eh @-X- :D

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Legendary? No. I do remember a time, however, where he was more beloved than Warner. What a long strange trip it's been...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Is he an anything legend?

I appreciate what he did and I wish he was put in a better situation, but that doesn't make someone a legend.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
IDK about legendary , but loved the guy, and think he got Steve Young'd.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bulger was a guy who did everything right and was screwed by the system. He could have been so much more. He didn't run Warner off, the system screwed Warner also. I WANTED Bulger over Warner for a season so they would let Warner's thumb heal and stop trying to force him back.

Mike was a hell of an OC but kryptonite as a HC.

It's a sad day when the talent of a guy like Bulger can't be acknowledged.

Also, as always, I want to point out LL killed a young healthy girl and then got caught drinking and driving again which tells me it probably happened a lot more than twice. I would have never let him play in STL like the girl's life meant nothing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
always liked Mark. I never blamed him for what happened to Warner.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Also, as always, I want to point out LL killed a young healthy girl and then got caught drinking and driving again which tells me it probably happened a lot more than twice. I would have never let him play in STL like the girl's life meant nothing.

Yeah, Leonard Little is scum to me. I don't care how much he did as a Ram, I never liked him for this.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Marc Bulger was a fantastic Ram.

So was Leonard Little.

I don't know any players personally, so I only comment about them as players.
Loved watching both of these guys.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, Leonard Little is scum to me. I don't care how much he did as a Ram, I never liked him for this.

"Everything that happened before that, I can show them how great my mom was. But then I can also show them how somebody so great can be taken away at the snap of a finger."

For all intents and purposes, Susan Gutweiler was taken away Oct. 19, 1998. That's when St. Louis Rams defensive end Leonard Little, drunk and speeding in his sport-utility vehicle, ran a stoplight in St. Louis and plowed into her car. She died 12 hours later. Her son, Michael, was 15 at the time.

It was the family's deepest wish that Little, a 24-year-old rookie, be taken away to prison for a substantial period of time. It didn't seem an outrageous wish. This was a man who, according to the police report, was so indifferent at the time of the accident that he said of Susan Gutweiler, "The [expletive] ran a yellow light and hit me, wrecking my $45,000 [expletive] car."

"It ruined my life," he said. "I was a totally different person. My mom did everything. She helped me with all my schoolwork. She helped me with my teachers and the doctors. She made sure I took my medication."

Just like that, he and his father, a truck driver, were left alone.

"I had to grow up quick," Michael said. "As soon as I was 15, I was an adult. There was no more going out and goofing around. I didn't know how to do the laundry. I didn't know how to get myself up in the morning to go to school."

"On April 24, 2004, he was arrested again for driving while intoxicated after being stopped by The Ladue Police Department for driving 78 in a 55 mile-per-hour zone on Interstate 64. At the time he had red eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three roadside sobriety tests. He later admitted drinking alcohol to the police. After being convicted of misdemeanor speeding but acquitted of DWI, Little was sentenced to two years' probation on May 6, 2005.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Bulger was a stud from 02-05. Kurt's thumb was seriously damaged and there were questions if he would ever be a competent starting QB again. I still remember the MNF game against the Colts in 2005 where Bulger led the Rams to a 17-0 lead and threw a INT and got hurt trying to make a tackle on said INT. In came Jamie Martin and there went that game and most of the season a long with Martz being removed as coach.

Bulger led the Rams to the playoffs in 2003 and 2004 and gave the franchise its last 8-8 season in 2006. He was a very very good QB for 3 years and steadily declined as the team deteriorated in talent around him. He never bad mouthed anyone during the whole Kurt saga either. Nothing but love for Marc Bulger. With a clean pocket he could really sling the rock.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Early in Marc Bulger's career he was pretty darn good. As soon as his line went, so did he. Much respect for him though. Marc knew he would get killed every game and compared to Kurt Warner every second of his career, yet he still went out and played about the best he could. Hell, wasn't he the Pro-Bowl MVP one year?

I never really appreciated what Marc did until he was gone.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Early in Marc Bulger's career he was pretty darn good. As soon as his line went, so did he. Much respect for him though. Marc knew he would get killed every game and compared to Kurt Warner every second of his career, yet he still went out and played about the best he could. Hell, wasn't he the Pro-Bowl MVP one year?

I never really appreciated what Marc did until he was gone.

Didn't he have like 7 concussions?

EDIT: "I may have it," Bulger said of CTE. "I've had 10 to 15 concussions. I played in the NFL 11 years. There were six or seven years where I was the most sacked quarterback for that span. So, this could affect me."

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
"Everything that happened before that, I can show them how great my mom was. But then I can also show them how somebody so great can be taken away at the snap of a finger."

For all intents and purposes, Susan Gutweiler was taken away Oct. 19, 1998. That's when St. Louis Rams defensive end Leonard Little, drunk and speeding in his sport-utility vehicle, ran a stoplight in St. Louis and plowed into her car. She died 12 hours later. Her son, Michael, was 15 at the time.

It was the family's deepest wish that Little, a 24-year-old rookie, be taken away to prison for a substantial period of time. It didn't seem an outrageous wish. This was a man who, according to the police report, was so indifferent at the time of the accident that he said of Susan Gutweiler, "The [expletive] ran a yellow light and hit me, wrecking my $45,000 [expletive] car."

"It ruined my life," he said. "I was a totally different person. My mom did everything. She helped me with all my schoolwork. She helped me with my teachers and the doctors. She made sure I took my medication."

Just like that, he and his father, a truck driver, were left alone.

"I had to grow up quick," Michael said. "As soon as I was 15, I was an adult. There was no more going out and goofing around. I didn't know how to do the laundry. I didn't know how to get myself up in the morning to go to school."

"On April 24, 2004, he was arrested again for driving while intoxicated after being stopped by The Ladue Police Department for driving 78 in a 55 mile-per-hour zone on Interstate 64. At the time he had red eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three roadside sobriety tests. He later admitted drinking alcohol to the police. After being convicted of misdemeanor speeding but acquitted of DWI, Little was sentenced to two years' probation on May 6, 2005.

Pardon my French, but what the fuck? I was too young during the little days to hear about this. But how the hell did this guy not get prison??? I used to like him as a player. But now, accusing the women of running a yellow? Pretty sure that means your light is still red, dumbass. This pisses me off. Another example of how athletes are treated better then the average person.

fearsomefour

Legend
always liked Mark. I never blamed him for what happened to Warner.
Amen.
Warner is not only my favorite Ram player of all time (Im old enough to see ED play in person) but my favorite athlete in any sport of all time.
But, it was not Bulger than ran Warner out of town. Kurt has said as much. Bulger was not a vocal leader or a rah-rah guy, but then, neither is Warner. Marc showed up and kicked a considerable amount of ass for a decent amount of time in a very unassuming way.
He is on the very short list of "great" Ram QBs of all time.
He could not do everything and was flawed in some ways but I don't know if there has been anyone who has ever thrown that intermediate cross better than Marc Bulger.
As a dyed in the wool forever Warner guy, I give a thumbs up to Marc Bulger.