Is Mannion the best QB on the roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just watched the 4th quarter of the replay on NFL network.

I was already impressed with the numbers and now after seeing the action Mannion looks like he is ready for te challenge. I don't care who he was playing against he was putting those throws on the money. The last two drives were 80 and 76 yards both for TDs after being down 24-14.

I know he isn't going to be "the guy" right now but if he gets a chance to play I won't feel like they have no chance to win.

Todd59

Rookie
I am all for keeping the PAC 12 Qbs. Keenum I would bump to 3rd and consider trading this year and get another PAC 12 QB. I think the dynamic would work great for us to keep PAC 12 QBs...I dont know just a thought.

I agree with you 100%. If coaches think that Goff is ready to go opening day, and Keenum and Mannion are close, Mannion stays. There will be a QB hungry teams around the time of final cuts that might just give up something for Case. If not, cut him and keep an extra promising, young DL (Seau or Longacre) or WR (Spruce or Williams).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@blackbart

thought you were crazy when you first posted this....after first hand view....not so sure....he's not as accurate...but I bet he's understanding the offense way better than Goff...
I believe he's better than Keenum right now....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked at the title and was wondering if this was serious but seeing it at four pages I guess some really believe this.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked at the title and was wondering if this was serious but seeing it at four pages I guess some really believe this.
I don't believe this. But Goff still needs to prove it. Until then this is still fair play imo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No way of knowing.
Playing vs 4th and 5th stringers is not a true test. He has measurables for sure.
Playing on Sunday vs a startin defense that has had time to get a book on him and prepare to face him....totally different thing.
Keenum is the best player at the position now probably by a decent margin. He had shown the ability to be solid on Sunday, to read a D to get the ball out on time ect.
I'm not saying Mannion should start even though I'd like to see him get a shot. But saying he was playing against the 4s and 5s as early as he came in? I'm doubting that. I don't know Dallas' roster but by all accounts, the 2s should have still been in the game when Mannion came in. Goff was scheduled to still be playing from what we were told and likely the only thing stopping that was Marinelli being a dick and dialing up blitzes as soon as our Rookie trots onto the field.

All that being said, I have to say that I thought Mannion simply looked better in virtually all regards than did Case. Was it because of the level of defenders? Maybe. But what I was looking at wasn't about the defenders as much as it was about Mannion's stance in the pocket, his delivery, his timing, etc. He missed badly on a couple throws. Got it. So did Case and so did Goff. If you want to boil anything down to the first game of the pre-season, that would be a big one. These guys (all of them) are going to miss throws.
Why do people make post like this? It was one preseason game.
Because they feel like it and it generates discussion. 47 responses so far. Not bad.

I can see why some would think it insane to think Mannion is an option at this point and one pre-season game shouldn't change that. Others, however, see potential in the Pacific Division's all time leading passer. You don't oops your way to that distinction - especially in Riley's offense.

Add to that the game he showed and Fisher's comments after the game..... how can you help but wonder?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@blackbart

thought you were crazy when you first posted this....after first hand view....not so sure....he's not as accurate...but I bet he's understanding the offense way better than Goff...
I believe he's better than Keenum right now....
Thanks @LACHAMP46

Like I said in another post I'm not naive about the potential that Goff has and I fully expect him to eventually make the #1 overall selection and the price the Rams paid to get it work out to at least 1 Superbowl win.

HOWEVER, at this moment I don't know if I consider Goff any better than third best based on last week's performance. Granted I only have that action to judge on but what better way is there than game time performance? Even his off shoulder being dinged which was a result of his slow processing and delivery of the ball indicates he is not as advanced as Mannion or Keenum.

Not a bad thing, he's a rookie for God's sake. He will develop.

What actually surprises me in this thread are the number of guys unwilling to give Mannion consideration. The only thing I can think is that some believe Keenum is still better and still others have their potential filter fogging things up. IMO potential just is not the same as game time production.

Maybe next week things will look differently but it also may take until mid-season or even next year before we see Goff play and not have to think about every move of every play. Then he will undoubtedly be better than Mannion.

But we'll still have a back up that can get it done and that needs to be developed too.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Goff looked like a rookie UDFA compared to Mannion. It's early but let's be real, there isn't any reason to rush Goff.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I just dont see how you can have a legitimate discussion after one exhibition game. Thats all

Yes. Mannion did give us some hope that the backup position could be solid. But what I don't understand is, if one of the better NFL quarterbacks start out a game where they had similar stat line of Goff for two series, no one goes "OMG, his QBR is 17!" They know he'll be back out the next series and more after that to get it together. Goff never got that chance and many people focus on those stats. Overreaction much?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes. Mannion did give us some hope that the backup position could be solid. But what I don't understand is, if one of the better NFL quarterbacks start out a game where they had similar stat line of Goff for two series, no one goes "OMG, his QBR is 17!" They know he'll be back out the next series and more after that to get it together. Goff never got that chance and many people focus on those stats. Overreaction much?
Goff has no proved to be in the discussion of "one of the better NFL quarterbacks". Once he does he will get that slack too.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not saying Mannion should start even though I'd like to see him get a shot. But saying he was playing against the 4s and 5s as early as he came in? I'm doubting that. I don't know Dallas' roster but by all accounts, the 2s should have still been in the game when Mannion came in. Goff was scheduled to still be playing from what we were told and likely the only thing stopping that was Marinelli being a dick and dialing up blitzes as soon as our Rookie trots onto the field.

All that being said, I have to say that I thought Mannion simply looked better in virtually all regards than did Case. Was it because of the level of defenders? Maybe. But what I was looking at wasn't about the defenders as much as it was about Mannion's stance in the pocket, his delivery, his timing, etc. He missed badly on a couple throws. Got it. So did Case and so did Goff. If you want to boil anything down to the first game of the pre-season, that would be a big one. These guys (all of them) are going to miss throws.

Because they feel like it and it generates discussion. 47 responses so far. Not bad.

I can see why some would think it insane to think Mannion is an option at this point and one pre-season game shouldn't change that. Others, however, see potential in the Pacific Division's all time leading passer. You don't oops your way to that distinction - especially in Riley's offense.

Add to that the game he showed and Fisher's comments after the game..... how can you help but wonder?
Fair enough and well said.
He was drafted in the third round if I remember correctly....hardly a throw away pick. Mannion has measurables an skills for sure. Obviously what Mannion and Goff are missing are experience.
Come regular season week 1 who gives the Rams the bed chance of winning? Logic says Case. Long term? Who knows.
The Rams could well be on the cusp of having a good problem in regards to Goff and Mannion.
Goff made a couple of throws where you see "it" for sure. But he was lacking in pocket awareness and was staring guys down....as to be expected.
I was good with what Keenum and Goff did. I was impressed with Mannion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Its not about an overreaction at least not from me. Its the fact the we traded the farm away from a guy that has to learn how to take snaps from center and how to read NFL defenses. No one is saying Goff wouldnt be great or good or any of that its just at the same time you have a guy that broke all type of records by playing in a pro style offense. He is showing more poise in the pocket and understanding defense he knew were they where coming from when they blitzed and he exploited it. Mannion never really got a chance either. I expect Goff to get better and I hope he gets better because if he dont, dont be surprised Mannion takes over and never look back. Then we will have a totally different conversation.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Its not about an overreaction at least not from me. Its the fact the we traded the farm away from a guy that has to learn how to take snaps from center and how to read NFL defenses. No one is saying Goff wouldnt be great or good or any of that its just at the same time you have a guy that broke all type of records by playing in a pro style offense. He is showing more poise in the pocket and understanding defense he knew were they where coming from when they blitzed and he exploited it. Mannion never really got a chance either. I expect Goff to get better and I hope he gets better because if he dont, dont be surprised Mannion takes over and never look back. Then we will have a totally different conversation.

BINGO!

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Also, in my opinion, I believe Mannion will have the better career out of the two. Unfortunately it will not likely be with our beloved Rams.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Goff has no proved to be in the discussion of "one of the better NFL quarterbacks". Once he does he will get that slack too.

No he hasn't But what I'm saying is, how can he be judged on two series? Would we even have this Mannion thread if he got two series? If Goff gets more playing time and flops, then I can see the concern. But I think I'll wait till that happens before I proclaim Mannion the better quarterback.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No he hasn't But what I'm saying is, how can he be judged on two series? Would we even have this Mannion thread if he got two series? If Goff gets more playing time and flops, then I can see the concern. But I think I'll wait till that happens before I proclaim Mannion the better quarterback.
Tell me this who is the best on the Rams right now and what are you basing it on?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
his slow processing and delivery of the ball indicates he is not as advanced as Mannion or Keenum.
See, I'm not so sure they play on equal footing...The time they play is key....Keenum plays behind the #1 line...with the #1 receivers....Mannion plays against 3rd string defenders...so...who knows what would happen if any of these circumstances were changed? Give them all time with the 1st string line....at least...against the 1st & 2nd string defense...only way to really tell.