Is Los Angeles Rams GM Les Snead motivated by fear?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...-general-manager-les-snead-todd-gurley-injury
@-X-

Even without the benefit of hindsight, you can list any number of reasons why Todd Gurley was a great pick by the Los Angeles Rams in the 2015 NFL Draft, several of which were recently illustrated by our own QBKlass.

Speed, vision, power, acceleration, improvisation, fear.

Wait. Fear?

Yes, fear.

As it turns out, fear was one of the main motivators behind the drafting of Todd Gurley according to Rams General Manager Les Snead.

Snead joined FOX Sports' Peter Schrager last week for an hour long conversation that covered a wide range of topics including, but not limited to, the confidence of Rams rookie QB Jared Goff, the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles trade; the haul from trading the #2 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft to Washington; and how the fear of Todd Gurley ending up elsewhere in the division was a driving force behind the Rams drafting him 10th overall last year.

THAT’S KIND OF WHERE MY MIND WAS GOING WITH THIS THING. AND THEN FROM THAT POINT FORWARD HE COULD END UP GOING TO ARIZONA, AND NOW WE’VE GOTTA PLAY HIM TWICE A YEAR, OR HE’S GONNA FALL TO ‘SAN FRAN’, AND WE’VE GOTTA PLAY HIM TWICE A YEAR, SO FINALLY WE THOUGHT, ‘WHY DON’T WE JUST TAKE THE GUY’?- RAMS GM LES SNEAD

Snead was in attendance with his son during that fateful Auburn-Georgia game when Gurley ended up injuring his knee, a pretty unsettling sight for the Rams GM to witness not only because it was difficult to see a potential career-altering injury happen to such a great talent, but also because the Rams were already considering taking Gurley in the upcoming draft. In fact, Gurley was second on their draft board behind then Oregon QB Marcus Mariota at the time. Given there was no way Mariota was going to be available, and with Snead anticipating the Rams’ draft slot to be somewhere in the middle of the first round, they were entertaining the thought of Gurley landing there and becoming a great value pick. But now, with the uncertainty of Gurley’s injury, he though maybe they should focus their attention elsewhere. Though, on his drive back to the airport, Snead had a nightmarish vision associated with the thought of Gurley’s draft stock now taking a huge hit and the possibility of him sliding further in the first round.

"Holy cow", he thought, as the picture began to come into focus. "The Seahawks, they’re gonna end up winning the Super Bowl, and they’re gonna get to pick Todd Gurley."

What would THAT look like, by the way?

Screenshot_1.0.jpg

Ew.

However, the nightmare didn’t end there. It was only the beginning of a landscape of horrors.

That’s kind of where my mind was going with this thing. And then from that point forward he could end up going to Arizona, and now we’ve gotta play him twice a year, or he’s gonna fall to ‘San Fran’, and we’ve gotta play him twice a year, so finally we thought, ‘why don’t we just take the guy’?

That’s the kind of generational talent that Snead felt Todd Gurley possessed, even after having just witnessed him lay on the field for several minutes with what appeared to be, and amounted to, a fairly significant injury.

Now the wheels were in motion. There was no way Snead was going to wake up in a cold sweat for the duration of his employment with the Rams after having let Gurley get away. He could not let this nightmare of Todd Gurley gashing the Rams’ defense over and over again come to fruition. It’s even possible that Snead wanted to avoid repeating the mistake that led to losing out on (now Seattle Seahawk) Bobby Wagner - in that you now have a guy you envisioned wreaking havoc foryour team, wreaking it on your team instead. Whatever the case, Snead had to get Gurley on this team, and it had to get done quietly. It had to get done quietly because Snead didn’t want other teams to even suspect that the Rams were in the market for a running back in the ’15 draft. And as most Rams fans can attest, it was a successful covert plan. Most fans were looking for the Rams to solidify their offensive line in the draft, and many mocks at the time had the Rams taking Ereck Flowers or Andrus Peat to shore up an offensive line that ranked 31st the year before. When it came time for the Rams to turn in their card, however, Ereck Flowers had already gone to the Giants - but Andrus Peat was still there for the taking.

Nope.

The Rams wasted no time making the pick and quickly scooped up Gurley leaving the ESPN panel covering the draft in moderate shock. Said ESPN panelist Louis Riddick, "The only question I have with this pick is, who’s blocking for him?" Well, Snead had the answer to that question and others similar to it when he was at the podium later that day fielding questions from the media about their selection while basically being scolded for not addressing the offensive line. "Well, we do have six more rounds to go here" was the response, and taking 3 offensive tackles in Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal; plus a guard in Cody Wichman, was the resulting action. The Rams would also dip into the subsequent supplemental draft and take OT Isaiah Battle from Clemson, forfeiting their 5th round selection in the following year's draft.

Problem addressed.

By taking the approach of building the trench in front of arguably the best RB to come out of the draft in a decade, the Rams positioned themselves to develop an offense capable of bullying opposing defenses - and as it turns out - give their 2016 first round pick some level of comfort in his transition to becoming a Franchise QB.

That plan was originally meant to benefit Nick Foles; but things work out the way they do.

The 2016 NFL draft gave the Rams yet another opportunity to prove they had a plan to solve a problem few people thought they could remedy.

Last edited by a moderator:

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
That is a great fear to have. I thought just about the talent-value of Todd Gurley even when the Rams already had Tre Mason at the time. With the Rams drafting based on BPA and the blue-chip talent available even when they're already stocked at the position was the right move.

That also applied to the Aaron Donald pick. Les Snead made the right choice and the best picks, at the time, back-to-back.

Imagine IF Todd Gurley ended up with the Niners, Seahawks or Cards, Rams fans would have constantly hear "SOSAR" from these teams.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I was shocked when we picked him as well, Mason just had a good rookie season, I thought we were set at RB. I'm glad to have been proven wrong by how great he was.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was shocked at the time, didn't see it coming. I was also perturbed because his knee injury scared the crap out of me. Ironically, the other RB ended up being the one who is likely looking at a shortened career, so yeah you just never know when it comes to health.

I'm hoping Gurley is a modern day Thurman Thomas. Well, minus the fact that he didn't slide to round 2.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and re: the question asked above... IF he is and it resulted in not only Gurley but also moving up for Goff and keeping him from the whiners I am happy with it!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not to nitpick, but that piece was not written by Schrager, I believe.

It was written by none other than our own "X".

I liked it so much that I copied and pasted to another board giving Schrager attribution.

But I was quickly reprimanded by several more observant posters over there. Needless to say, X's honor has been properly defended.

Nice work, X, btw. Lol.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not to nitpick, but that piece was not written by Schrager, I believe.

It was written by none other than our own "X".

I liked it so much that I copied and pasted to another board giving Schrager attribution.

But I was quickly reprimanded by several more observant posters over there. Needless to say, X's honor has been properly defended.

Nice work, X, btw. Lol.
Wow. I had no idea. That's my fault I just saw the name. Awesome article @-X-

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
All contact with MR X will now be proxied through me.Please refrain from looking MR X directly in the
eyes as he is famous now and has no time for your shenanigans.
Thank You
XProductions LLC

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All contact with MR X will now be proxied through me.Please refrain from looking MR X directly in the
eyes as he is famous now and has no time for your shenanigans.
Thank You
XProductions LLC
Get the car, bro. I wanna hit the strip.

jap

Legend
That is a great fear to have. I thought just about the talent-value of Todd Gurley even when the Rams already had Tre Mason at the time. With the Rams drafting based on BPA and the blue-chip talent available even when they're already stocked at the position was the right move.

That also applied to the Aaron Donald pick. Les Snead made the right choice and the best picks, at the time, back-to-back.

Imagine IF Todd Gurley ended up with the Niners, Seahawks or Cards, Rams fans would have constantly hear "SOSAR" from these teams.

It's the kind of fear I had when Joe Montana was being drafted.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wonder if the Goff pick was outta fear the 49ers would pick him? If he turns out great as we think he will 49er fans will be bad mouthing them for years. They woulda had more to offer had they made the trade. :sneaky:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder if the Goff pick was outta fear the 49ers would pick him? If he turns out great as we think he will 49er fans will be bad mouthing them for years. They woulda had more to offer had they made the trade. :sneaky:

I think that deal was done because they knew if they have a QB they will contend and Goff has significant skills.

In fact after I watched a lot of vids of Wentz and Goff I found it hard to understand why anyone would not pick Goff.

This was the thing they needed most and they went and got it. That's Snead's style.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sometimes fear is a great motivator.... Fear of failure drives most men....

Watching Todd Gurley in college was a treat. He looked like a new version of Hershel Walker & Bo Jackson... I was in no way upset at the pick.... I was surprised. And I'm glad Snisher made the call. He's changed our franchise.