Is Lance Kendricks Worth Keeping?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
Simply put, no. There are plenty of veteran options that will be available for cheaper or same $ in FA. Our new offense will certainly be a mix of what we saw in Wash and ATL. We will be requiring a pass catching TE based on that. Hooper in ATL got his time and was coming on strong by the end of last season. I think we cut Kendricks and sign a vet that can run and catch better, and coach up Higbee.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still can't forget that Steelers game 2 years ago. Wide open & dropped into his hands. A forsure TD & Ram victory. There was no way Vick would have brought them back,
Tell me about it. I had a room full of Steeler fans when I jumped up and yelled TD . Woops

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes.
Keep him.
To not see that.....well, no comment.
Higbee blocked as well as my mother most of the season. Although he did improve as the season went along.
Maybe the real question is who on the O is not replaceable with where the team is now?
Meaning who if they left would impact the team in a negative way.....either because of them play or their contract.
Goff, Gurley, Austin, Kendricks.....end of list.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I'm on the fence on cutting Kendricks since he was known for his "Wham Blocks".

However, the Rams drafted two TEs last year: Higbee and Hemmingway. I think Hemmingway can take over Kendricks spot since Hemmingway seems to be about the same build and his playing style reminds me of the younger Kendricks.

So my answer is let the younger TEs play and trade or cut Kendricks. Or maybe pickup Vernon Davis if the contract is about the same.

The Rams could go with Harkey as FB/TE hybrid since he could block as well.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I do not see how cutting Kendricks now makes the Rams a better team.

If one of the youngsters shows he can "step up to the plate", then perhaps.

Not there yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tell me about it. I had a room full of Steeler fans when I jumped up and yelled TD . Woops

Want to get away. Yeah I was at a sports bar & ran in front of a crowd of Steeler fans. As a long time Rams fan , it still means something to beat them.
McVay owned Williams the last 2 years ago as well. Just thinking how he used his RB's to run out the clock on a long drive.
The Rams defense could only do so much.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
No. Dude has contracted Brittotis and Quickitis and combined with cutting and saving that money with a strong TE class?

I think that settles it. Go drop critical balls somewhere else.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm on the fence on cutting Kendricks since he was known for his "Wham Blocks".

However, the Rams drafted two TEs last year: Higbee and Hemmingway. I think Hemmingway can take over Kendricks spot since Hemmingway seems to be about the same build and his playing style reminds me of the younger Kendricks.

So my answer is let the younger TEs play and trade or cut Kendricks. Or maybe pickup Vernon Davis if the contract is about the same.

The Rams could go with Harkey as FB/TE hybrid since he could block as well.

I wonder just how much info the new staff can glean from watching tape of these players. Can they really get a good understanding of how good they could be from camp film or a little game film here and there? I think that unless an existing player was noticeably bad for a year plus then they can't really know what they have. A guy like Kendricks gets a mulligan IMO. Quick doesn't. Cook rightfully was jettisoned.

Now does that mean that there is no need for an upgrade at TE? absolutely not. However, letting Kendricks go then forces the team to land a TE in Free agency or the draft. How is either a guarantee. So they then are relying on Harkey and Higbee and Hemmingway to produce........again.......based on what?

A bird in the hand rule applies here IMO.

Psycho_X

Legend
Kendricks is a great number 2 TE. He's being paid too much for that. But he's the only sure thing we have at TE at the moment so he may survive by default for one more season for the new staff to assess in a real offense. I like Kendricks aside from his propensity to blatantly drop the worst or most easy passes from time to time. I don't expect him to be Gronkowski but for the love of god don't let the ball bounce off your chest in the endzone. Or have a guaranteed touchdown lob throw with no one defending you fall through your hands like you just had a stroke or something.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder just how much info the new staff can glean from watching tape of these players. Can they really get a good understanding of how good they could be from camp film or a little game film here and there? I think that unless an existing player was noticeably bad for a year plus then they can't really know what they have. A guy like Kendricks gets a mulligan IMO. Quick doesn't. Cook rightfully was jettisoned.

Now does that mean that there is no need for an upgrade at TE? absolutely not. However, letting Kendricks go then forces the team to land a TE in Free agency or the draft. How is either a guarantee. So they then are relying on Harkey and Higbee and Hemmingway to produce........again.......based on what?

A bird in the hand rule applies here IMO.

Very well stated post Elm. I been thinking the same about Kendricks. There aren't many TE making less than 4.5 M that can be versatile as Lance. McVay will put him in better positions to block and receiving. The Rams offense was a mess last year. The big thing McVay has to do is pump up Kendricks in the receiving game. Lance needs more confidence and more reps, They don't have much on roster now.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Blocking has regressed and he's not a tremendous producer. Awful hands and not a truly fluid player. Add to the fact that this year's class is full of great options deep into the draft and I think the writing is on the wall. We could use those funds to help sign a free agent or two. I think Higbee takes a huge jump next year and we can rely on another cheap vet for blocking assignments.

It seems all our blockers regressed. That should change. Coming into last season we thought we were a QB away from the playoffs. Then everything took a step backwards. I think you will see a bounce back season from a lot of players. I think TE is not a position we should mess with to much this season. The rams have bigger fish to fry.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He needs to go and for one reason: Tyler Higbee.

You can find TEs for blocking for much cheaper than what Lance is being paid. The future is Higbee, who is in his second year now and who is going to greatly benefit from McVay and this regime coaching him up. Additionally this class is very strong.

I would cut bait. Kendricks is a JAG. Dude is never going to stop dropping key passes and playing inconsistently. Only way they keep him around is if they determine they don't want to use a draft pick on another TE due to other needs.