Is Lance Kendricks Worth Keeping?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
looks like a below average blocker....and not the flypaper hands you'd like at TE. What are we keeping him for?

Good player...just overpaid...and before we start harnessing McVay with players, I want them to be his guys. I will say, a very inconsistent TE, Vernon Davis, just had a rebirth of sorts while with Washington.

Mcvay also mentioned Kendricks as a player he is excited to work with

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The idea is entirely dependent on what the Rams get out of keeping/releasing Kendricks. Obviously, the goal should be making the team better. One question that should help answer the topic is would another team trade anything of value (to the Rams) for him? That's the market for his services at his current pay rate. If you can't get anything of value in return for a player that's under contract for two more seasons, that player is being overpaid considering ROI.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep Kendricks?
nope-timon.gif

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Blocking has regressed and he's not a tremendous producer. Awful hands and not a truly fluid player. Add to the fact that this year's class is full of great options deep into the draft and I think the writing is on the wall. We could use those funds to help sign a free agent or two. I think Higbee takes a huge jump next year and we can rely on another cheap vet for blocking assignments.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't count on him to make a play . Too inconsistent

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I concur, Kendricks is a great blocker his hands are inconsistent, however, let him block and the others catch!

The Rams already have that kind of blocking TE in Corey Harley.The Rams & McVay are going to open it up. He is gone in my book. You can't get rid of the youth either.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
At this point, Sean likes everybody.

Get back to me in September.

Hopefully you can start seeing the direction The Rams want to go this next couple of weeks.
--Then if you work your way down to training camp again this summer , you'll enjoy a whole different experience during practice .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can't count on him to make a play . Too inconsistent

Still can't forget that Steelers game 2 years ago. Wide open & dropped into his hands. A forsure TD & Ram victory. There was no way Vick would have brought them back,

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Explain...
Oh yeah, the sun was in my eyes.
He comes off as ambivalent about dropping passes, missing run block assignments, etc. I've seen what he brings to the table, it's not a winning formula.

I'd prefer to go in a different direction and I don't think he has the leadership qualities that would be missed if he was dropped from the team, unlike a CL or JL. JMO, Mojo, not everyone is going to like it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I give him one year under McVay to prove himself. He has flashed potential, solid blocker, played hurt, took less money to stay with the Rams, everyone agrees the offensive couching has been poor, he's not costing a ton, who knows if Higbee or Hemingway are ready to be an upgrade, and do they spend an early draft pick to try to improve an already ok position.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we have anyone to take his place? No. Keep Kendricks, draft another position.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
When he was playing with Keenum I was impressed he was limiting drops and making plays. Then Goff came in and he had to start catching fastballs and his play fell off a cliff and he went back to terrible hands Lance. Lance is not a natural pass catcher and hasn't been the same blocker he was early in his career. IMO he needs to be upgraded and that can happen with one of the best TE drafts in quite some time coming up.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Interesting answers so far. I'm not sure you find a equal or near equal TE cheaper. Higbee had some struggles early on. Low draft pick TEs take time to able to block at the NFL level and so do most high draft picks. I think McVay can coach him up with the drops. Like CGI said he you can't turn over the entire roster. He can be cut next year. Right now it would be two 2nd year TE remaining on the roster.

I recall watching a game last year -i think it was against the seahags- were Higbee got tossed aside like little rag doll... not just rag doll but a little one lol!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kendricks is relatively cheap, so unless a better option falls into the Rams lap there is no reason to cut him. He had a down year but so did the entire offense.

With a new coaching staff we could see some of the players that played better in the past come back around and be committed. Get rid of some of the guys that weren't trying so hard and maybe Kendricks can find his potential again. Supposedly McVay's excels at bringing out the best in players.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Over on the NCAA/Draft board I see a lot of mocks cutting Lance for the savings of 4.25 Million with NO dead money. Lance also will get the same amount in 2018 the last year of his contract. I put some things together to figure out if Lance is worth keeping around.

$$$$$$$$$
I looked up the TE contracts and found their average dollars over the contract length. The top guys are averaging 9 Million plus and even 10 Million for Jimmie Graham. It shows that Lance is on the lower end for a 29 year old veteran TE. Higbee is at 6 685K, Hemmingway is just shy 625K. Harkey TE?FB is at 1.8 M.So the Rams don't have a lot of money invested in the TE position. I'm not sure what free agents would be a good fit money, age and ability.

Blocking
I know it's pro football focus but it's what availble. It shows he is top 10 pass protector. I know Kendricks makes and misses some blocks in the run game. I would think he is solid and better than average but, you tll me.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stats-pass-blocking-efficiency-rbs-and-tes/

1 Gary Barnidge CLV 62.6 Pass Block %
2 Ben Watson NO 45.2
3 Michael Hoomanawanui NE 41.7
4 Jeron Mastrud OAK 36.5
5 Jim Dray ARZ 34.5
6 Marcedes Lewis JAX 26.7
7 Lance Kendricks SL 26.6
8 Jermaine Gresham CIN 24.7
9 Logan Paulsen WAS 24.1
10 Anthony Fasano KC 22.5

Pass Catching
Right off the top two passes dropped last year come to mind. IIRC both were critical drops.

"The Sun was in my eyes TD"
"Crossing pattern right to left that Goff fired right on the numbers."

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/
Over all Kendricks is a little high on the drop % but, not a complete butter fingers. He dropped 6.9% of his targets 87 and caught 50 passes. Lance was a outlet or safety value. We know Boras was not very creative and he seemed to not get Lance deep down the middle like in 2015. Lance is about in the middle on drops for TEs. If he caught the two mentioned drops maybe many wouldn't want he cut.

What do you think? Please give reasons for your answer.

Lance is like Old Man Clemens in the Movie Billy Madison he keeps making the same mistake!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd move on. I think we can do better.