Is it possible we won't see Gurley start til week 7?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Barring an unforeseen set back, personally I'd be stunned if he didn't get some real work until week 7 ...If he's ready, play him...If he's not ready to play before week 7, I think that would be a big surprise...From what I get out of reading, I would think there is a real good chance to see him in week 3 or 4...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't you tell me to shut up. :lifting:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I thought the reason Mason didn't see much action early last year because he'd get the QB killed? AFAIK, Gurley is the guy that does it all, if college play is any indication. If the knee is ready, and the surrounding ligaments are strong enough, tell me why he shouldn't be in there? He will get in shape by playing, if its a conditioning issue. If he can't protect in passing situations, that would be a reason maybe..

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm thinking he starts like Week 5, but starts getting a few carries around maybe Week 2 or 3. Maybe shows up a few more times to pass protect or something. Then even though he starts Week 5, it's going to be a 50/50 split of carries between Mason and Gurley that week. Then we go to bye.

Than yeah, I see his playing time really increasing after the bye where he's starting to get more of the load.

airwarner

UDFA
Name
airwarner
There are a few things that occurred to me about why this may be the case.

1. He's recovering from injury. While he may be out of the woods now as it relates to full recovery on his knee, he's still not 100%. And if you pay attention to some of the comments about how they may have rushed Jake Long and Sam Bradford back, maybe they're going to take a much more cautious approach with Gurley. Especially considering how much they invested in him to be "the future".

PLUS

2. We don't typically see rookie running backs on this team start right away. Mason didn't start until week 4 last year, and Stacy didn't get going until week 5 the year prior. Both had no health issues either. They just weren't ready. And with Gurley's slow start, he's likely further behind than both of them were at this point in the season.

PLUS

Our bye week is week 6 after the Packers game (which is the 5th week of the season).

So if we combine all of those factors, is it possible we won't see him start until almost the 2nd half of the season?
hey ''x'' thanks depressing me first this morning lol i think he has suffient amount of rehabilation that we deserve to see him in week '2' at least for a quarter ''damn it 'x' i want to see my draft day 'christmas present' lol and so do you !!!! lol ha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
hey ''x'' thanks depressing me first this morning lol i think he has suffient amount of rehabilation that we deserve to see him in week '2' at least for a quarter ''damn it 'x' i want to see my draft day 'christmas present' lol and so do you !!!! lol ha
Why am I in quotes?
Do you not think I'm real?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dang X, first yur trolling the PD with Nick Foles slam video's, and now yur trolling us about Gurley starting Week 7 in 2016...brah..

A55VA6

Legend
No later than Week 3. I want him 100%, but Snead said a couple weeks ago that he's 90 something percent. I think we could see a split in carries as early as week 1.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think he plays in the first game but I can see him not starting till week 7 barring injury to Mason early... hell if Mason gets hurt in game 1 or 2 or before, Cunningham will start imo.

I don't see him waiting that long, but it's nice to have Mason just in case. I can tell you this, on Madden this season we are 4-0 and Gurley is the leagues leading rusher by about 400 yards. Lol lets get it like that

Wish I had the same success in Madden my 1st game 1st play I ran a play with Mason and he fumbled... I was like wtf I thought I had gurley in. So I put him in get the ball back run with gurley then HE FUMBLED. lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dang X, first yur trolling the PD with Nick Foles slam video's, and now yur trolling us about Gurley starting Week 7 in 2016...brah..
0Uf6iu9.gif

I'm just prepping for @CGI_Ram's new RODcast wherein I'm supposed to be the new Skip Bayless.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, if they hold him back until week #7 he's going to have some fresh legs working in the playoffs.

jjab360

Legend
I think it's entirely possible we could see Gurley playing week 2 or 3, but only getting 5-10 carries a game and then starting after the bye week getting the full load.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There are a few things that occurred to me about why this may be the case.

1. He's recovering from injury. While he may be out of the woods now as it relates to full recovery on his knee, he's still not 100%. And if you pay attention to some of the comments about how they may have rushed Jake Long and Sam Bradford back, maybe they're going to take a much more cautious approach with Gurley. Especially considering how much they invested in him to be "the future".

PLUS

2. We don't typically see rookie running backs on this team start right away. Mason didn't start until week 4 last year, and Stacy didn't get going until week 5 the year prior. Both had no health issues either. They just weren't ready. And with Gurley's slow start, he's likely further behind than both of them were at this point in the season.

PLUS

Our bye week is week 6 after the Packers game (which is the 5th week of the season).

So if we combine all of those factors, is it possible we won't see him start until almost the 2nd half of the season?

Great list, X.

PLUS, with Mason and Cunningham on board, there is absolutely NO urgency to rush Gurley onto the field.

Having said all that, I fully expect to see Gurley eased onto the field in limited snaps fairly early in the season.

I sense that Fisher is almost as anxious to see his new toy out there as Gurley is to BE out there. Lol.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can dig it. Honestly, I don't think this team will live or die with TG for the first part of the season anyway. Part of me worries about him planting that leg in pass pro as well. Let it heal.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And of course the most important factor may be that Fish would want to see the O-line gel before he's out there

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't have a problem with limiting Gurley's carries to less than 10 a game for the first half of the season. Mason is capable of making plays in the meantime. But I do wonder if trading Stacy was a good move? He woulda come in handy in the interim.

jap

Legend
The Gurley man speaketh:

"Let the rest of the NFL worry about when I'm gonna start. They are all gonna get their asses kicked eventually so they might as well just line up and extend their collective butts toward my cleats. I say that with all respect & politeness, of course!" :sneaky: :shooting::seizure: :ROFLMAO:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It wouldn't break my heart. Of course it would no doubt start a string of threads over on the PD about how the Rams screwed the pooch drafting someone who couldn't start day one and how obviously the injury is worse than Fisher and Snead realized and......

As much as I would like to see him play, I wouldn't want to see him rushed into the trenches - just cuz.