Is it possible we won't see Gurley start til week 7?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There are a few things that occurred to me about why this may be the case.

1. He's recovering from injury. While he may be out of the woods now as it relates to full recovery on his knee, he's still not 100%. And if you pay attention to some of the comments about how they may have rushed Jake Long and Sam Bradford back, maybe they're going to take a much more cautious approach with Gurley. Especially considering how much they invested in him to be "the future".

PLUS

2. We don't typically see rookie running backs on this team start right away. Mason didn't start until week 4 last year, and Stacy didn't get going until week 5 the year prior. Both had no health issues either. They just weren't ready. And with Gurley's slow start, he's likely further behind than both of them were at this point in the season.

PLUS

Our bye week is week 6 after the Packers game (which is the 5th week of the season).

So if we combine all of those factors, is it possible we won't see him start until almost the 2nd half of the season?

lockdnram21

Legend
I doubt it Fisher said that Gurley will be back sooner than people think. I think he will play week 1 but he wont have a big work load

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt it Fisher said that Gurley will be back sooner than people think. I think he will play week 1 but he wont have a big work load
That's possible. I agree that we may see him in spot duty from time to time, but I don't see him being the workhorse before week 7.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see him waiting that long, but it's nice to have Mason just in case. I can tell you this, on Madden this season we are 4-0 and Gurley is the leagues leading rusher by about 400 yards. Lol lets get it like that

lockdnram21

Legend
That's possible. I agree that we may see him in spot duty from time to time, but I don't see him being the workhorse before week 7.
I think Mason plays real well and makes it hard for rams to make Gurley work horse this year

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree that it's possible. Sure, he'll play, but baring an injury or two, I have my doubts that he'll start during the first portion of the season, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start until later.

But isn't carries what really matters, unless the concern is protections?

I find myself really conflicted with Gurley as to how soon to give him any carries. Is 5 carries a game really that much more safe than 15 coming off an injury like this?

From a physical standpoint, isn't it a ready or not question?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
No! I understand the logic behind the question but doubt very much we wait that long.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start until later.

But isn't carries what really matters, unless the concern is protections?

I find myself really conflicted with Gurley as to how soon to give him any carries. Is 5 carries a game really that much more safe than 15 coming off an injury like this?

From a physical standpoint, isn't it a ready or not question?
Well, don't you kind of have to ease him into this level of competition either way? I don't know that I'd want to see him coming in "cold" and getting 35 carries in his first game.

Athos

Legend
I say week 4 that he really gets into it. That means 10 or more touches a game.

I have a feeling week 1 it's possible he gets maybe 5 touches. Though it's the Hags who play rally physical D.

I'd say more like week 2 is his first official appearance, if it's that soon at all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, don't you kind of have to ease him into this level of competition either way? I don't know that I'd want to see him coming in "cold" and getting 35 carries in his first game.

I think so. From a conditioning standpoint it makes sense.

I just don't think easing him in is easier on the knee, other than statistically reducing the likelihood of hits to the knee.

But is early action better or worse for the overall healing? That's where I get confused.

FRO

Legend

1. He's recovering from injury. While he may be out of the woods now as it relates to full recovery on his knee, he's still not 100%. And if you pay attention to some of the comments about how they may have rushed Jake Long and Sam Bradford back, maybe they're going to take a much more cautious approach with Gurley. Especially considering how much they invested in him to be "the future".

PLUS

2. We don't typically see rookie running backs on this team start right away. Mason didn't start until week 4 last year, and Stacy didn't get going until week 5 the year prior. Both had no health issues either. They just weren't ready. And with Gurley's slow start, he's likely further behind than both of them were at this point in the season.

PLUS

Our bye week is week 6 after the Packers game (which is the 5th week of the season).

So if we combine all of those factors, is it possible we won't see him start until almost the 2nd half of the season?
That's how I hope they handle him. Mason and Cunningham have proven to be more than capable. Why rush Gurley? After what happened to Bradford and Long I want to be extra careful with him. He is our future franchise piece.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was realistically thinking we won't see him until week 3 or 4. He really hasn't been practicing with the team, so we don't know how he will do in other ares of his game, i.e. pass blocking, running routes, etc. I would like to see him run against the Seahags, but who knows. I doubt it will be week 7 though. Maybe after the bye

…..

Legend

PLUS

PLUS

Considering Jeff Fishers comments about Mason not being ready because he needed to learn the protection schemes, I'd say yes its possible.

I think though that "starting" wont be a real big issue. If he's healthy and the hot hand, he'll get his touches weather he starts or not. I expect to see him come on in the 2nd qurter at some point in the first four games and get a few quality reps and then have his workload increase steadily. That seems to be the way Jeff likes to handle things.