Is it just me?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or does anyone else think there's going to be WAY too many penalties this year? I'm not talking about the Rams ... I'm talking in general. Looks like they're keeping a very close eye on defender's hands beyond the 5 yard cushion (even way far away from the play) and on the D-line this year. That's a hard habit to break and it won't be cleaned up in a year.

Last night, for example, I was looking for a flag after every pass play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well the NFL has already ruined a lot of the excitement, momentum and relevance of special teams plays with new rules...so i suppose it only makes sense that they'll do the same to the other phases of the game.

I stopped watching the NBA for a few reasons, and referees controlling the game was a big one. I really hope we don't see that type of shit in the NFL.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
yes. for first half of season there will be tons of flags IMO. Cannot remember the year, but one of the years there was an emphasis on "defenseless receiver" there were tons of flags , 1994, I think. But by midseason the players and coaches finally accepted the way things were going to be called and the penalties seemed to drop. Of course, I cannot prove it, didn't do a study. But that was my impression.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stopped watching the NBA for a few reasons, and referees controlling the game was a big one. I really hope we don't see that type of crap in the NFL.

ummm, superbowl 36.

wrstdude

Rookie
I'm actually glad they'll start calling this.It was way too biased the way they let certain teams and players molest WRs down the field. If this evens the playing field, I'm all for it. DBs will learn & just like other penalties, the number will reduce eventually.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
ummm, superbowl 36.

Have you tried to watch the NBA? This goes on nightly, for years, decades. I'm not just talking about crooked officials either. Granted, the Tim Donaghy referee incident being called "an isolated occurrence" by former NBA commissioner/fraud David Stern was a laughable comment...but i'm talking about complete micro-managing of the game by referees blowing whistles constantly and being incredibly inconsistent while doing it. Even when the "stars" aren't involved and getting preferential treatment, officials are guilty of making obvious make-up calls when they missed one on the other end etc...its crap like this that has ruined the NBA game.

I left NBA for the NFL exclusively about 5 years ago. The NBA was arguably the biggest sport back about 20 years ago. Stern built an empire. After he established that empire he manipulated it into what he felt the fans needed and wanted to see. IMO it's scary to think that football could easily get to that point.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you tried to watch the NBA? This goes on nightly, for years, decades. I'm not just talking about crooked officials either. Granted, the Tim Donaghy referee incident being called "an isolated occurrence" by former NBA commissioner/fraud David Stern was a laughable comment...but i'm talking about complete micro-managing of the game by referees blowing whistles constantly and being incredibly inconsistent while doing it. Even when the "stars" aren't involved and getting preferential treatment, officials are guilty of making obvious make-up calls when they missed one on the other end etc...its crap like this that has ruined the NBA game.

I left NBA for the NFL exclusively about 5 years ago. The NBA was arguably the biggest sport back about 20 years ago. Stern built an empire. After he established that empire he manipulated it into what he felt the fans needed and wanted to see. IMO it's scary to think that football could easily get to that point.

sorry man, i wasn't sticking up for the nba. i can't even watch basketball. i can only watch the game if my kids are playing.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For me the hand writing was on the wall when the out-lawed the 'Head-Slap!' That when they started screwing up the game!!
060313-NFL-Deacon-Jones-LA-G2_2013060402161193_600_400.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's not just you.
I still have nightmares from the Carolina game last year.

I'm more of a "let em play" guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Or does anyone else think there's going to be WAY too many penalties this year? I'm not talking about the Rams ... I'm talking in general. Looks like they're keeping a very close eye on defender's hands beyond the 5 yard cushion (even way far away from the play) and on the D-line this year. That's a hard habit to break and it won't be cleaned up in a year.

Defensive hands in the face seemed to be an emphasis, but these things are always a concern early in preseason...they are told to emphasize certain things. I heard they are supposed to really look for DB's with their hands...after the physical play during the Superbowl...sound familiar?

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, nightmare.
The irony being that in effort to make the game more exciting (again, only for ignorant, moronic "fans") they will slow the game and have games decided by ticky-tac penalties.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Well from what I understand aren't they supposed to be also looking at the receivers pushing off?

RamWoodie

Legend
As usual, what's happening is another focus on improving scoring in games. Pretty soon there won't be a need for a cornerback...they can barley do anything now...:mad:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Denver/Seattle game was worse,at one point they each had 12 penalties and that was early I believe in the second half so yeah ,helluva time for us to START playing tighter coverages

Rambition

Rookie
i was having some of the same thoughts. getting everyone on the same page with this is hopefully not impossible, but it does seem like there are just going to have to be more penalties this season as a result.

Athos

Legend
My thoughts exactly. Goodell is out to ruin football as we know it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm all for good officiating. If the NFL has the integrity to improve it, they should implement sensor technology in their equipment and on the field to identify what constitutes penalties. There'll still be that margin of error, but it'll be reduced to the point where a bad penalty call won't determine the outcome of a game. Also, if you're paying these refs as full time employees, then they should start working like one by awareness conditioning during the offseason.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Yes, I saw every game, and it was over kill...they called penalties that weren't there. that will change, I am sure, but still...