Is it just a Midwest thing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
OR does everybody have peanut-butter sandwiches with their chili?
I'm having some right now and just wondered.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
OR does everybody have peanut-butter sandwiches with their chili?
I'm having some right now and just wondered.

I can't say I did peanut butter sandwiches, but I did like peanut butter on Ritz crackers with chili when living in STL. I don't eat it that way any longer, however.

I think it IS a Midwest thing, though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Interesting, never considered that combo. I have made a quick cheese quesadilla and eaten that with chili instead of putting cheese on it.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't say I did peanut butter sandwiches, but I did like peanut butter on Ritz crackers with chili when living in STL. I don't eat it that way any longer, however.

I think it IS a Midwest thing, though.
I'm very hard to please with chili so I usually only have it at home. I tend to eat local foods when traveling. Went to Alabama and found out I like grits. Never would have tried that in St. Louis.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
You guys are not alone. I always have peanut butter crackers with my chili. I actually like to make a peanut butter cracker and then and use as a chili shovel.

My son has also taken up the practice.

I am a firm believer that there isn't a food in the world that doesn't go with peanut butter.

We were talking about the origins of this practice the other day and we believe it may have originated because in public schools that we attended it seemed on chili day we were always also served a peanut butter sandwich with it....? Not sure but it is definately a great compliment.

I'm hungry for chili now!

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it so hard to find good chili, so I make it myself. Like it thick and spicy to spicy for most. Had something called Cincinnati chili once dam it was awful no offense to those who like it. Have to have my peanut butter sandwiches with chili no way around it.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find it so hard to find good chili, so I make it myself. Like it thick and spicy to spicy for most. Had something called Cincinnati chili once dam it was awful no offense to those who like it. Have to have my peanut butter sandwiches with chili no way around it.
For me it is perfect when my nose runs a little and I get a few beads of sweat on my forehead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You guys are not alone. I always have peanut butter crackers with my chili. I actually like to make a peanut butter cracker and then and use as a chili shovel.

Yep. That's the process.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm about as Midwest as they come . and I've never seen anyone ever have a peanut butter sandwich with their chili

You might be right about the school lunch thing though , because we never had peanut butter sandwiches with our chili , we always had these HUGE cinnamon rolls with our chili , so that's what a lot of people around here have with their chili , and crackers of course

My wife makes like the best chili , and she has like two different versions of it , we call one , Three Mile Island , that one is pretty hot in it's own right , but she also makes one we call Chernobyl , that one will burn the roof of your mouth

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't have my chili without a PB sandwich. Though I'm a midwesterner

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I thought it was normal for people to eat chili with peanut butter sandwiches too. (I live in the Midwest too.)

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I think it was a school lunch thing that made it part of the meal! I ate them in school but not away from it! I'd rather have spaghetti and tamales with my chili! Onions and shredded cheddar on top with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on it all!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I think it was a school lunch thing that made it part of the meal! I ate them in school but not away from it! I'd rather have spaghetti and tamales with my chili! Onions and shredded cheddar on top with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on it all!

Agreed while I've never in my life in the Midwest seen anything penut butter with chili I do however enjoy making a thicker chili and topping my spaghetti with it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Never heard of that before either.
And I'm not going to try it, so I guess I'm not entitled to knock it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was born and raised in St. Louis (the Midwest) and never once heard of that combo. Maybe it was just the area I grew up

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I grew up about 50 miles south west down 44 from Stl and it was with our school lunches growing up and I just have kept it up. Not every time, but it does still happen.