Is Isaiah Pead In Trouble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bskrilla

Starter
A55VA6 said:
Let me ask you guys this.

Saturday night. Edward Jones Dome. Green Bay Packers. Pead fumbles. What now? Or... what if he runs the ball very well, no fumbles, and maybe even scores a TD?

I'm just curious on how the Pead supporters and doubters would feel with each scenario for the next game. Does it change anything?

If he fumbles that would definitely be unfortunate. I'd start to have more doubts. I will admit that while I would label myself as a Pead "supporter" I currently get a little nervous when he carries the ball. I can see the potential he has, but I worry that a fumble could put him in the doghouse for good.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:
Ram Quixote confusing me:
Sure. Ever hear of a guy name Lawrence Taylor? Darrel Revis? Megatron? How about Jerry Rice? Haloti Ngata? Ray Lewis.

That's not even mentioning any of the QBs. Drew Brees.

I could go on.

I don't think I'm understanding what you're saying. Here's what I thought you were saying.

"the draft status of high picks who exceed expectations."

Who uses a high draft pick on someone they don't think will be great? If I draft someone early I expect them to be great. If you're saying that the players you mentioned turned out better than great and that's why they exceeded expectations then I guess I can sort of agree with that but how does that pertain to what CoachO and others were talking about?

Plus, what is the point you're trying to make about that?

I'm hitting the sack now but I'd like to continue this conversation tommorrow because I'm interested in finding out. :bg:
You implied in an earlier post that high picks doing better than expectations isn't possible. That sounds bleak for those players, so I directed your attention to those that have. And there are a lot more than I listed.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I never was impressed with the guy last year and he better stepp it up. I rather be proved wrong.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A55VA6 said:

Saturday night. Edward Jones Dome. Green Bay Packers. Pead fumbles. What now? Or... what if he runs the ball very well, no fumbles, and maybe even scores a TD?

I'm just curious on how the Pead supporters and doubters would feel with each scenario for the next game. Does it change anything?

I want to know more about how he runs. Does he run with a purpose? Does he see the field well? Hit the hole well? It's about how he runs. If he fumbles, why does he fumble? Is it a great play by the defender, does he hold the ball wrong? What happened?

He could run 5 times for 20 yards and if he is doing smart things, I'll be okay. If he takes the first run up field and scores on a 99 yard TD, but it's because total busted coverage and all he had to do was go straight, I don't really think much of that. Reading the field well, reacting well, etc is stuff that'll transfer to the regular season more, getting a big run because you're playing against shitty players or total busted coverage for a vanilla D, probably wont translate much.

It all depends, stat lines aren't always that good to go off of, especially in the preseason. If Pead fumbles then of course it's not a good thing, but why he did it is more important than that he did it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram Quixote opined:
The 3rd round is low for QBs.
The third round is borderline for me. Top half is a high pick and bottom half isn't. I could see it your way though too.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram Quixote offered an explanation:
You implied in an earlier post that high picks doing better than expectations isn't possible. That sounds bleak for those players, so I directed your attention to those that have. And there are a lot more than I listed.
Got it. I was getting a little mentally tired late last night.

Well that gets down to your definition of exceeding expectations. I doubt many (if any) players would exceed my expectations and those that did would fit in the category of "exceptions to the rule" / HOF player. For example, I don't even agree with Revis being an exception and Megatron was touted, if I remember correctly, as a once in a lifetime WR. I see Megatron as merely living up to his hype.

So you've convinced me to modify my stance on this. My new stance is that it's almost impossible for a high pick to exceed expectations. :ww:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BuiltRamTough said:
Gill Brandt thinks Pead will get cut
I think he would get traded before cut. I think he would still hold some value at this point. He's somewhat of an unknown commodity, but the talent is definitely there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A55VA6 said:

If he does well IMO that is just a step potentially in the right direction. I'm not going to get too geeked up over a preseason game either way. I would however, like to see some quality runs and maybe a pass out of the back-field out of him.

I'm not invested too deeply in him individually so whether it is him, DR, Stacy, Benny, Gannaway, I really don't care. Draft status? At this point.... meh. What's done is done. You get the chance to draft players and you hope they work out. If a few of them don't but you nail a couple of others late in the draft, it's a wash IMO. Maybe it's wasted money but I don't think there is a team in the league that doesn't have a few of those EVERY year. You just have to work with what you got and hope the players pan out.

I just want to see two or three of our backs really show something. I think we'd be just fine going into the season with a one two punch of DR and one of the other more bruising type backs. Personally, I'm not sure I would like it being Pead and DR. They are a little too similar from what I have seen.

I'm not sure dressing three backs each week is a good idea but I honestly don't recall if that is a normal scenario. My ideal scenario would be a back with decent size and speed like Benny/Stacy/Gannaway with a speedster type back like Pead or DR. Which combination? Don't really care as long as they work well in our system.

If that means Pead goes by the wayside? So be it. If the guy is good enough, I will pull for him like any other player wearing horns. If not, I will pull for the other guys. It's not like any of these RBs are vets that have strapped on the horns for years. In that vein, Pead needs to start showing something or he will likely be gone - 2nd rounder or no.

bluecoconuts

Legend
BuiltRamTough said:

Not a chance, at least not this year. Next year if he doesn't improve and they take another back? Yeah I can see it. This year? No way.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 responded:
If he does well IMO that is just a step potentially in the right direction. I'm not going to get too geeked up over a preseason game either way. I would however, like to see some quality runs and maybe a pass out of the back-field out of him.

I'm not invested too deeply in him individually so whether it is him, DR, Stacy, Benny, Gannaway, I really don't care. Draft status? At this point.... meh. What's done is done. You get the chance to draft players and you hope they work out. If a few of them don't but you nail a couple of others late in the draft, it's a wash IMO. Maybe it's wasted money but I don't think there is a team in the league that doesn't have a few of those EVERY year. You just have to work with what you got and hope the players pan out.

I just want to see two or three of our backs really show something. I think we'd be just fine going into the season with a one two punch of DR and one of the other more bruising type backs. Personally, I'm not sure I would like it being Pead and DR. They are a little too similar from what I have seen.

I'm not sure dressing three backs each week is a good idea but I honestly don't recall if that is a normal scenario. My ideal scenario would be a back with decent size and speed like Benny/Stacy/Gannaway with a speedster type back like Pead or DR. Which combination? Don't really care as long as they work well in our system.

If that means Pead goes by the wayside? So be it. If the guy is good enough, I will pull for him like any other player wearing horns. If not, I will pull for the other guys. It's not like any of these RBs are vets that have strapped on the horns for years. In that vein, Pead needs to start showing something or he will likely be gone - 2nd rounder or no.

AND THIS

bluecoconuts scoffed:
Not a chance, at least not this year. Next year if he doesn't improve and they take another back? Yeah I can see it. This year? No way.

:plus1: on both.

OR THIS

DR RAM opined:
I think he would get traded before cut. I think he would still hold some value at this point. He's somewhat of an unknown commodity, but the talent is definitely there.

They all make good sense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BuiltRamTough said:

Where did he say that? Just read his "review" after Saturday's practice, and there was ZERO mention of Pead.

Memphis Ram

Legend
CoachO said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Where did he say that? Just read his "review" after Saturday's practice, and there was ZERO mention of Pead.

On Sirius NFL Radio's Rams Training Camp Blitz over the weekend, he stated that he wouldn't be surprised if Pead were released in favor of other backs that have may have a better mental makeup.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Memphis Ram said:
CoachO said:
BuiltRamTough said:

On Sirius NFL Radio's Rams Training Camp Blitz over the weekend, he stated that he wouldn't be surprised if Pead were released in favor of other backs that have may have a better mental makeup.
Yup. When Gill speaks you listen.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
The saints have a 3 back system, and I think new england does the same.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

iced

BuiltRamTough said:
Memphis Ram said:
CoachO said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Until another back can show pass pro like him or anything resembling good, not a chance unless they wanna kill sam

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BuiltRamTough said:
Memphis Ram said:
CoachO said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Thank you.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see him getting cut. But he needs to deliver soon.