Is Eddie Lacy overrated?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Don't get me wrong, I think Lacy is a good running back. But I wonder how much of his success is due to the high profile offense in which he plays. Teams are way more worried about Rodgers and the passing game than Lacy. This isn't the case for other backs like AP, Charles, and Gurley.

Against the Rams Lacy only had 27 yards on 13 carries, averaging around 2 YPC. He looks overweight and slow TBH. His lateral movements were sluggish and he didn't cut and accelerate with quickness. Size and power is about the only thing he has going for him and without room to get some steam he can't use either effectively. Much like Freeman, I think he's a good back who is also a product of his offense.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They say he's a little over his ideal weight... And battling an ankle injury.

Additionally, every RB opposite Gurley looks lesser.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No way he's overrated. At all.

Big guy with an ankle is gonna have a tough day and you can't underestimate how our D will make that day even tougher.

Eddie Lacy has taken over games in crappy weather when he's good. That ankle played a little bit of a role in how he ran yesterday. It's part of the game and you won't hear Lacy use it as an excuse, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Lacy's one of the better backs in the league. Maybe not top 5, but definitely top 10 and closer to the 5 than 10.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is very streaky...looks great for periods of times and then he looks very average for awhile.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Of course not like others have said, he's battling injury and also you're simply not giving our D credit, it's not like we were playing mediocre out there. The D made the entire Packers O look pedestrian, that was a good effort and nobody should feel bad being held down by them.

TheBunk

Rookie
I don't think he's overrated, but I don't think he's a cornerstone RB until his 30s. He looks like one of those guys that runs out of steam after 5 years or so.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Game plan can make decent backs look pedestrian at times, not to mention stout Ds. We, of course, have a RB that can transcend those situations. I made the statement over at the Packer site that in the near future, 85 yds rushing is going to be a bad day for Gurley and was chastised for that statement. How do they like me now you reckon?

Athos

Legend
He seems bigger this year than last. It wouldn't hurt to drop a few pounds. He'd gain some explosion and probably limit some ankle injuries.

He's a quality back, but no, I'm not sure he's a top end back in the league.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dude is crazy good. Always gets extra yards when you think he's down.

And hell, the Rams held him to 20 something yards? Says a lot right there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As others have pointed out he's not at 100% and the Rams went in deciding to take away the run. He definitely benefits from the Aaron Rodgers show but when healthy he's a big back who does have some little-man RB skills. They have a nice one-two punch with Lacy/Starks.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way he's overrated. At all.

Big guy with an ankle is gonna have a tough day and you can't underestimate how our D will make that day even tougher.

Eddie Lacy has taken over games in crappy weather when he's good. That ankle played a little bit of a role in how he ran yesterday. It's part of the game and you won't hear Lacy use it as an excuse, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Lacy's one of the better backs in the league. Maybe not top 5, but definitely top 10 and closer to the 5 than 10.

Look at who he's played in those games he has "taken over." Let's be honest, Lacy has played some pretty weak defenses in his first few years and that's being nice about it. Look at what he did when he finally had to go against a stout defense last year. The Packers played the Seahawks twice last year and Lacy combined for 33 carries, 107 yards, and 0 TDs. That's 3.24 YPC my friend. That year the Seahawks, on average, allowed 3.5 YPC to opposing teams. How does a "top 10 back" on a ridiculously prolific offense not even manage to beat the average YPC allowed by the opposing defense? Keep in mind this is all while defenses are focusing on Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, etc.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Tough to say. He's basically at the exact same amount of production this year as he was last year at this same time. He finished the year very strong. I'd say he comes in handy much more in Nov, Dec, and Jan when the temperature drops below 40.

If you can hit him before he gets to the LOS, you are in good shape. But if he gets any head of steam rolling, he is a bear to get on the ground.