Is Conner cook a better option than Sean mannion going forward?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Conner cook VS Sean Mannion

• Cook

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Mannion

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Shawnbb158

Starter
Just wanted to get a gauge on how everyone feels at this point. If the rama miss out on the top 3 qbs And cook was there in the 2nd round. Do you think cook is better or would you rather give mannion a shot?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Took Mannion only because of the stronger arm and a year in the pros already. Plus with him already being on the roster the draft pick can be spent on adding a weapon on offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cook has accuracy problems on short distance throws. He also drops his eyes under pressure. He can look good one series and terrible the next. I hope he is not the pick.

I have been wondering though, just how many of these college coaches are actually good QB coaches? Despite the system do any really work on the QBs. James Franklin is supposed to be a good offensive coach but Hackenberg had very little development under him. Jesse Palmer worked on Hackenbergs footwork with various drills for a few months and he was much improved with accuracy especially deep and short. Does Cook just need better coaching?

Kirk Cousins went to MSU and was a third round pick. Cook is more highly regarded coming out. Does that mean he could be better than Cousins with NFL coaching, or is favored because he had more wins? Supposedly Chip Kelly really likes Cook. If Cook ends up being better than Cousins than he would be better than what the Rams have on the roster.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm gonna keep hammering this point because it's huge: when the Rams brought in the new offense and everyone was new to it, Keenum, Foles who they'd just traded for and Mannion who they'd just drafted, the FIRST guy to learn the offense was Mannion. As a matter of fact, he then tutored Foles a bit. The ROOKIE did this.

I'd take Mannion over a mountain of Cooks any day and twice on Sunday.

Honestly, the only QB I like in the draft out of the gate more than Mannion is Wentz. I'm really warming up to Lynch and the guy from ASU. I like Goff, but I dunno that I like him more than Mannion.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Rams went Doctson (if he's there, otherwise best CB on board), Adams, Kenny Clark with the first three picks 1,2,2...WR, TE, DT.

I think the Rams REALLY believe that 17 point stuff and will focus on allowing fewer points and tweaking the offense...not overhauling it. And I think THEY think they can do that with Keenum and Mannion. Whether Foles stays or they draft a QB later, I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mannion wows early.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Cook is a better prospect,but he's not going to be anything special. Upside Avg.
Mannion was projected as career backup, many comparisons to Sean Hill.

And after spending a 3rd and giving him a year to learn and he's not the offseason starter says all we need to know what the Rams think of him

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I dont think Cook will be any better than Mannion so why waste a draft pick on what you already have? Id much rather give Mannion a shot and draft a weapon with that second round pick than draft Cook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Way I see it, the issue isn't really about direct comparison of QBs because what the Rams need is another QB on the roster with at least a quality starter ceiling moreso than an ability to play quickly. I mean a guy like Goff gives you both, but it's not a good assumption with any rookie QB to think they'll play above average ball. The key with QB, IMO, is having a long term view and continuing to load talent to ensure options.

I see Cook's ceiling as Phil Simms, that he's a complementary type game manager QB who can take shots and limit mistakes. Nothing wrong with that, either, as it is a proven formula for winning and meshes well with Fisher's philosophy. But the question of whether you take him at 15 is all about how you project his ceiling, not about how quickly he's going to be ready.

IMO the dude is a round 2-3 range value pick, in round 1 he's a reach. So again it comes down to how much the Rams love him, i.e. how do they project his ceiling. If they see him as a future Eli Manning moreso than a Phil Simms, they'll probably take him at 15. Otherwise, it is better for the health of the team to take a weapon or BPA there and move up for Cook at a later point.

My thing is that there are plenty of other QBs in this draft that are flawed in one way or another, like he is, who will require a little more time to be ready but who give you similar upside. And those guys can be had later, in rounds 2 or 3 as desired depending on who they are. Hogan for example comes with an ability to transition sooner, or Doughty comes with ridiculous accuracy and work ethic. You have guys like Coker with the big frame and arm, a lot of them, that need more time but who have all the measurables.

I've heard it said that this is a great backup QB draft after the top 2. I see it differently. I think it's a deep QB draft period, and the top 3 of Wentz/Goff/Lynch have very high ceilings if you hit on them. After Lynch the ceilings start dropping and it's a pick what skills you like type deal, IMO.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I am torn a bit..... it depends on how the Rams view Mannion.

If they see him as a starter with in the first few games of the start of this season.... then I'm perfectly happy with him. We can draft weapons to surround him with.

On the other hand....if they see Mannion as a career back up I'd prefer Goff, Lynch.....(Wentz to high for Rams to reach imho)....... Cook I'm not so sure. Is his shoulder fully healthy? Can he improve his completion percentage through work on technique? For his part I love his film in 2014. 2015 not so much.
So there is my quandary. ....;)

Go Rams.......... ;)