Is Chris Long, Robert Quinn's Justin Smith?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I realize the title is confusing but most of you should know what I'm talking about. Aldon Smith got a lot of sacks because Justin Smith held up two guards. Aldons sack total went totally south when Justin was hurt. Do you think the same thing is happening with Quinn? Chris Long gets injured, now Robert Quinn is getting doubled and triple teamed on virtually every play. He's made maybe one play that I've seen this year.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Looks like it at the minute. But we need more help from inside as well - Brockers in particular needs to step up. Langfords been ok and Donalds flashed brilliance but he's not getting the snaps yet.

Edit: Although looking at the stats Donald got 44% of the snaps yesterday.

Long's contribution is definitely overlooked. He's a 10 sack a season guy but he brings more than that.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
IMG_3817421957401.jpeg

Pho Kadat

Rookie
[QUOTE="Aldon Smith got a lot of sacks because Justin Smith held up two guards.[/QUOTE]

Literally.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll just say this....... anybody that was doubting the importance of Howie's kid on the defensive line obviously now can reconsider.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Long is a beast. The people that do not like him are the people that base everything of only numbers. By that I means is cap number and his drop in sacks. Long definitely gives this team something and earns his paycheck.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I definitely think that they miss Long. But I said this before the season, and if you watch Fisher's Press Conference, he makes a point of saying the same thing. Teams know this team can pressure the QB. They are game planning to get the ball out quick.

I am not surprised that the sack numbers are way down. But I am surprised at the lack of holding calls against offenses. Go back and watch the long TD play to D. Bryant. They literally yanked Langford down from behind as he was about to hit Romo just before he released the ball. Quinn gets double teamed..... and more often than not, one of the two have to use an arm bar to hold him while the other guy chips him.

The other problem, is they haven't been able to stop the run, which has made it possible for teams to limit the number of passing attempts. Even while racking up 34 points (27 by the offense), Romo still only threw the ball 23 times.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I definitely think that they miss Long. But I said this before the season, and if you watch Fisher's Press Conference, he makes a point of saying the same thing. Teams know this team can pressure the QB. They are game planning to get the ball out quick.

I am not surprised that the sack numbers are way down. But I am surprised at the lack of holding calls against offenses. Go back and watch the long TD play to D. Bryant. They literally yanked Langford down from behind as he was about to hit Romo just before he released the ball. Quinn gets double teamed..... and more often than not, one of the two have to use an arm bar to hold him while the other guy chips him.

The other problem, is they haven't been able to stop the run, which has made it possible for teams to limit the number of passing attempts. Even while racking up 34 points (27 by the offense), Romo still only threw the ball 23 times.

yeah, once we understand gap responsibility we'll have a different defense out there. It'll come (quickly).

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not really, Quinn is just getting no help from the officials, he's held almost every play and if they don't call it the O-linemen will never stop holding, thus neutralizing our defense. Can't get penetration if you're being forcibly held from getting any.

iced

No - Justin Smith holds the shit out of the o-line..

Lately, the o-line has been holding the shit out of quinn, and of course we can't get a call.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I realize the title is confusing but most of you should know what I'm talking about. Aldon Smith got a lot of sacks because Justin Smith held up two guards. Aldons sack total went totally south when Justin was hurt. Do you think the same thing is happening with Quinn? Chris Long gets injured, now Robert Quinn is getting doubled and triple teamed on virtually every play. He's made maybe one play that I've seen this year.
Sad commentary, but True, so far!!

Philly5

Rookie
Smiths run a lot of two man games since they play next to each other. Team misses Long and the pressure he brings would help Quinn.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I don't believe Long's absence has much, if any, affect on Quinn. Long wasn't being doubled so Quinn is probably getting the same attention he was getting before.

Quinn didn't get a sack against Dallas last year either. Overall he's playing against better competition to start the season (no Levi Browns) and teams are doing a better job of getting rid of the football faster.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Looks like it at the minute. But we need more help from inside as well - Brockers in particular needs to step up. Langfords been ok and Donalds flashed brilliance but he's not getting the snaps yet.

Edit: Although looking at the stats Donald got 44% of the snaps yesterday.

Long's contribution is definitely overlooked. He's a 10 sack a season guy but he brings more than that.

i don't understand why when donald is in they are almost always in a three man front. this lets him be double teamed. i would like to see him in the 4 man front next to brockers that way one or the other would be 1 up more often.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I doubt it has much to do with Long.

I hate to keep harping on this, but I have a hard time understanding how the best 4-3 DE n football hasn't drawn a single holding call in three games.

Irish

Starter
It was obvious from the first snap that Quinn had no answer for Tyron Smith, who is possibly the best left tackle in the league.

My question is, why on earth don't you move Quinn to the other side and have him work against the right tackle until Long comes back? Why allow a team to zero out your best pass rusher and not have an answer?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
To those of you out their who think Long doesn't draw a lot of attention, and double-teams, I just want to say. "You need to either watch more film, or start paying more attention!!" And we haven't even touched on everything else he brings to the Team! Yes, in my book, I put him wright up there with Jack Youngblood & Deacon Jones as my FAVORITE Ram DE's!