Is Brian Schottenheimer the Right Fit for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
ChrisW said:
The funny thing is faster paced play calling is supposed to be a good part of the AC offense. Fisher is the reason that we aren't running no huddle. He's terrified of 3 and outs for some reason. It's not like we don't have plenty of them already. There can be no harm done coming out strong with a fast pace first drive on Sunday. Set the tone, and show the Jags that they won't stand a chance.

I'm not particularly sold that our offensive woes are on Schotty. I was just posting this article for a point of view, and some discussion. I do think creativity is lacking on his part, however, I don't think that's truely what's holding us back. Pettis and Givens may be the only 2 that know the play book and verbiage in the play book well enough to open it up for them.

After all, I have heard that things were changed in this offense for Mark Sanchez, because he could not get the play calling and Verbiage down during Schotty's time there.
yup, this article sounds like it was planted by someone inside or close to rams organization

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a Schotty fan but Sam is doing him no favors.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:

Neither was Sanchez, how long does Schottenheimer continue to get a pass? IMO, he's never really devloped anyone and he started out as a QB Coach. The Rams should've hired Hue Jackson, but for now, it's Schottenheimer and I will never understand how some assistant coaches continue to get gigs when their track record is checkered at best.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

Neither was Sanchez, how long does Schottenheimer continue to get a pass? IMO, he's never really devloped anyone and he started out as a QB Coach. The Rams should've hired Hue Jackson, but for now, it's Schottenheimer and I will never understand how some assistant coaches continue to get gigs when their track record is checkered at best.

Yep, they should have.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

I love Hue Jackson as a WR coach, but nothing else. What would we be doing now with his "You know I'm going to run it all game" offense? He pounds the rock all game long, which we've shown we can't do. It wouldn't be any different.

iced

Stranger said:
ChrisW said:
The funny thing is faster paced play calling is supposed to be a good part of the AC offense. Fisher is the reason that we aren't running no huddle. He's terrified of 3 and outs for some reason. It's not like we don't have plenty of them already. There can be no harm done coming out strong with a fast pace first drive on Sunday. Set the tone, and show the Jags that they won't stand a chance.

I'm not particularly sold that our offensive woes are on Schotty. I was just posting this article for a point of view, and some discussion. I do think creativity is lacking on his part, however, I don't think that's truely what's holding us back. Pettis and Givens may be the only 2 that know the play book and verbiage in the play book well enough to open it up for them.

After all, I have heard that things were changed in this offense for Mark Sanchez, because he could not get the play calling and Verbiage down during Schotty's time there.
yup, this article sounds like it was planted by someone inside or close to rams organization

i have my doubts on this.

even Deon was ripping him on thursday night on the post game show, and has been pretty much every day since thursday

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
iced said:
Stranger said:
ChrisW said:

i have my doubts on this.

even Deon was ripping him on thursday night on the post game show, and has been pretty much every day since thursday

Yea, Deon was. But, we don't know why Brian is holding back. This offense doesn't even resemble what his offense should be. There's a particular reason why we are throwing all short stuff.

Hell, we aren't even sure if it's the game plan, or if there's just not enough pocket time to let the deeper routes develop. I'd tell you if I could go to a game, but I don't live in the area anymore.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ChrisW said:
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

I love Hue Jackson as a WR coach, but nothing else. What would we be doing now with his "You know I'm going to run it all game" offense? He pounds the rock all game long, which we've shown we can't do. It wouldn't be any different.

No, he doesn't. Hue Jackson is an Air Coryell guy. He runs a balanced offense. He's actually pretty damn good at fitting his offense to his personnel.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:
No, he doesn't. Hue Jackson is an Air Coryell guy. He runs a balanced offense. He's actually pretty damn good at fitting his offense to his personnel.

Agreed & ran a balance offense when he was OC & Head Coach of the Raiders. IMO he would be an excellent OC & I'm shocked he has not actually received interviews for Head Coach as he was 8-8 in Oakland.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

Agreed & ran a balance offense when he was OC & Head Coach of the Raiders. IMO he would be an excellent OC & I'm shocked he has not actually received interviews for Head Coach as he was 8-8 in Oakland.

From what I read, GMs don't trust him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:
From what I read, GMs don't trust him.

Guess I can understand that with what went on in Oakland, however, he's doing a good job with the Bengals as RB coach too. Well, one can hope that Schottenheimer ends up as Jack Del Rio's OC at USC and Fisher gets the hire right next year with Jackson.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
jrry32 said:
ChrisW said:
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

You're correct, I misread the article on him and his offensive philosophy. Sorry 'bout that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
HometownBoy said:
Angry Ram said:
El Juggernauto said:
What in this guys history suggest that he has what it takes to form a top tier offence?

He was apart of the Jets that went to the AFC 2 years in a row. His offense utilized stud RBs and the TE.

A55VA6 said:
He's not the right fit with this roster. I always knew Schotty as a power run guy. His passing attack has always been poor.

Now this I could agree with. But then again, the Rams running game is so bad it's hard to place all blame on the OC him.
What about the reports that have always said he's been bland and unimaginative? Or that his play calling has always been ineffective and at sometimes downright bizarre.

He's not a good OC, he was long derided before he even got his hands on the Rams, so it's not like he's suddenly being picked on because the Rams are bad, the facts are Fisher was the only guy willing to take a flyer on him and the reports on him are proving to be true.

His only success came when he lucked into getting LT, even then after two bouts of success with guys like that, his team stagnated when they needed him the most and they only scored 19 points in either of their AFCCG. Not a good show that your offense completely disappears in the crunch, he was miserably out coached in the playoffs. Then he never recovered and neither did the team.

Then he was tossed out on his ears.

He's not receiving anymore blame than he deserves, he's just not a very good OC.

Curious...did you feel this way last December until Dallas?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Angry Ram said:
HometownBoy said:
Angry Ram said:
El Juggernauto said:
What in this guys history suggest that he has what it takes to form a top tier offence?

He was apart of the Jets that went to the AFC 2 years in a row. His offense utilized stud RBs and the TE.

A55VA6 said:
He's not the right fit with this roster. I always knew Schotty as a power run guy. His passing attack has always been poor.

Now this I could agree with. But then again, the Rams running game is so bad it's hard to place all blame on the OC him.
What about the reports that have always said he's been bland and unimaginative? Or that his play calling has always been ineffective and at sometimes downright bizarre.

He's not a good OC, he was long derided before he even got his hands on the Rams, so it's not like he's suddenly being picked on because the Rams are bad, the facts are Fisher was the only guy willing to take a flyer on him and the reports on him are proving to be true.

His only success came when he lucked into getting LT, even then after two bouts of success with guys like that, his team stagnated when they needed him the most and they only scored 19 points in either of their AFCCG. Not a good show that your offense completely disappears in the crunch, he was miserably out coached in the playoffs. Then he never recovered and neither did the team.

He's not receiving anymore blame than he deserves, he's just not a very good OC.

Never been a fan of the shotty hire didn't want him to begin with still don't

y2joey

UDFA
The personnel we have now isn't meant for this type of system. Its best suited in a more spread type attack. We're too conservative for these kind of playmakers.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
y2joey said:
The personnel we have now isn't meant for this type of system. Its best suited in a more spread type attack. We're too conservative for these kind of playmakers.
Precisely.

Now someone made up this plan - to get these types of players and put them in this type of system. Who would have created, approved and implemented this plan? It is that person who should be held accountable right now.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Angry Ram said:
HometownBoy said:
Angry Ram said:
El Juggernauto said:

A55VA6 said:

Yes.

Even last season Schottenheimer's playcall has been suspect, back when we had Steven Jackson and he would run all over a team, but then Schottenheimer would just stop calling runs and try to force it through the air.

Or his trademark 3rd and long draws, basically giving up and putting the brunt back onto our defense.

I've felt this way before Schottenheimer was hired, yeah. Everybody except Fisher did.

I'm not even trying to be hard on him, I've looked and I can't honestly find reliable source calling him decent, everything is either riding him like a government mule or talking about the players riding him just as bad.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wow really?! Guess it's just the nature of the biz then. I personally think there are other factors outside than just the OC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
Wow really?! Guess it's just the nature of the biz then. I personally think there are other factors outside than just the OC.

Ha! Watch the mascot in Angry Ram's signature... just noticed him. Hilarious!

Here it is;

hlbuHYi.gif

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Angry Ram said:
There is, but a spade is a spade man.

There's no other way to paint it, Schott is just a terrible OC. There is something that can be said on Fisher for hiring him in the first place though.