Is Brian Schottenheimer the Right Fit for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Is Brian Schottenheimer the Right Fit for the St. Louis Rams?
September 28th, 2013 at 7:30 AM
By Chuck Chapman

With the St. Louis Rams sitting at a disappointing 1-3 record and their offense ranked 30th in the NFL, barely averaging 300 yards per game, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is obviously under fire. What we've seen with our eyes through four games is enough to raise questions about Schottenheimer's fit for the Rams: unimaginative play calling, a non-existent run game and an anemic 26 per cent third down conversion rate are all distressing numbers that don't bode well for long term success.

But is there any reason to suggest that Schottenheimer's offensive philosophy will ever yield any success in St. Louis? A look at his history and that of head coach Jeff Fisher would suggest that this is a marriage that's doomed for divorce.

Not Fisher's MO for Winning

Fisher spent 17 years in Houston/Tennessee as head coach, winning 142 games and making six playoff appearances, including the 1999 Super Bowl against the Rams. Most of those seasons, Fisher employed the late Mike Heimerdinger as his offensive coordinator. Heimerdinger ran a West Coast offense that emphasized a solid running game punctuated by a short, quick passing game.

Five of Fisher's six playoff teams featured a bruising running back (Eddie George and Lendale White) who could move the pile and carry the load, allowing his quarterback to manage the game. His receiving corps was never elite. Derrick Mason was the perfect fit for that offense, a quick possession receiver who could catch in traffic. The route trees in Heimerdinger's offenses were short and designed to get the ball out quickly.

Now look at Schottenheimer's philosophy and the personnel the Rams have on hand. There's certainly no bruising back. Zac Stacy is the only one with the physical traits to shoulder that load. To this point, the Rams haven't utilized him at all.

The route tree is mostly vertical with underneath crossing routes, a product of Schottenheimer's tutelage at the feet of his father, Marty, an "Air Coryell" protege. Unlike the West Coast offense, these routes don't develop quickly and require an offensive line that can protect the pocket as well as a quarterback (like a Dan Fouts) who has a strong arm and quick release. That's not the Rams' personnel at all.

No History of Offensive Success

Schottenheimer was offensive coordinator for the New York Jets for six seasons. Only once in those six seasons did the Jets finish in the top ten in the NFL in scoring. That was the one season Brett Favre quarterbacked the Jets. In 2009 and 2010 the Jets reached the AFC Championship game, but not because of their offense. The Jets defense was among the NFL's top five and their offense consisted mostly of sticking the ball in Thomas Jones', Shonn Greene's and an aging LaDanian Tomlinson's belly and keeping Mark Sanchez in reasonable down and distance situations.

Does that sound like something the Rams have the personnel to execute?

Quarterback Killer

In Schottenheimer's first season (ironically succeeding Mike Heimerdinger who returned to Tennessee) he inherited the Jets' former first round pick, Chad Pennington, who was coming off rotator cuff surgery. Pennington had a great 2006, throwing underneath routes to the Jets' diminutive receivers. Lost in the win total, however, was the 30 sacks he absorbed. In 2007 the Jets got off to a 1-7 start and Pennington was benched in favor of Kellen Clemens. Pennington had already been sacked 26 times in just half a season.

Favre came to the Jets the next year with Pennington off to Miami where Pennington guided the Dolphins to the AFC East title. Favre led the league in interceptions (22) as the Jets fell short of the playoffs. A season later in Minnesota, Favre would throw only seven picks against 33 touchdowns and nearly got the Vikings to the Super Bowl after a 12-4 regular season.

The Jets then drafted Sanchez and set him up to manage the Jets offense. Sanchez kept the Jets rolling as the defense held down opponents and the backs shouldered the offensive load. In 2011 though, when Sanchez was called upon to carry more of the offensive load, his interceptions shot back up. Most tellingly, his sack numbers sky-rocketed to 39. The Jets finished 8-8.

Of course we've seen the effects of those hits on Sanchez, who was knocked out during this preseason while competing with rookie Geno Smith for his job. To say that he failed to progress under Schottenheimer would be an understatement.

Flash now to Sam Bradford. Bradford had a decent season last year with Schottenheimer, but took 35 sacks. That's not necessarily an indictment of Schottenheimer as Bradford had similar numbers during his first two seasons. So far this year, having been dumped 11 times in four games, Bradford is on pace to equal or surpass those numbers.

Sam Bradford won't survive the rest of this season under Brian Schottenheimer. He's already showing signs of the shell-shock of his first three seasons, reminiscent of Tim Couch and David Carr, two other number one overall picks who were stuck leading offenses that required them to stand in and take shots play after play.

What to do?

The obvious answer would be to fire Schottenheimer. Wide Receivers coach Ray Sherman is an experienced play caller, having guided the offenses in Pittsburgh in 1998 and Minnesota in 1999. His West Coast background coupled with serving under Bill Cowher's power running game would seem to fit with Fisher's philosophy better than Schottenheimer. The problem with that approach is trying to revamp the play book in the middle of a season. Sam Bradford is already working under his third offensive coordinator in Schottenheimer. Would a fourth be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

The other option is for Schottenheimer to change his approach and start play calling more to fit his personnel. The Rams can't keep running slow-developing routes and pounding Daryl Richardson into non-existent running lanes. They've got to speed up the pace of their offense, using more quick-hitting plays with the pass and the run.

If Schottenheimer doesn't change his approach, the third option may happen to him. I doubt GM Les Snead will keep Schotty around if the Rams are still mired at the bottom of the NFL's offensive statistics. That may be too late, though to save Sam Bradford, who's already beginning to resemble a soldier returning from the Ardennes Forest.

Jeff Fisher and Brian Schottenheimer have some work to do over the next 10 days before Jacksonville comes to town. What they do will determine the rest of the Rams' 2013 season and may hold the key to Brian Schottenheimer's NFL coaching career.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportsmedia101.com/st.louisrams/2013/09/28/is-brian-schottenheimer-the-right-fit-for-the-st-louis-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportsmedia101.com/st.louisr ... ouis-rams/</a>

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
the answer to your subject title--No

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I can answer that pretty easily

NO

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Cheap and lazy way to place blame...bash the OC.

The fact is...Dallas/SF were total team meltdowns.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:

So analyzing his history, is lazy?

Did you read the article? It's not like I plopped down a 10,000 page health care law in front of you or anything. :lmao:

Angry Ram

ChrisW said:
Angry Ram said:

Did you read the article? It's not like I plopped down a 10,000 page health care law in front of you or anything. :lmao:

I did read the article. And I stand by my opinion of bashing the OC during the down times is lazy. I'm not saying he isn't @ fault, but I just don't believe in a high amount of bashing the OC.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What in this guys history suggest that he has what it takes to form a top tier offence?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
What's mind boggling to me is, how do the first 2 games of the season fit in? It's not like this team accidentally put up 51 points and averaged 300 yards a game. I'm curious to see if the resistance to pick up the pace offensively remains a constant or if they will go to a no huddle early. Gus Bradley knows how to prepare for this team, so it's not like they enter with a huge advantage over Jacksonville.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am wondering who is refusing to let Sam do what he does best. He was a spread, shotgun, sugar huddle kind of QB and he was terrific at it, when he is allowed to do it in the pros, he is terrific at it...but we dont let him do it. The BS excuse of the Defense will get tired is getting tired itself. They will adjust. We have pretty decent line depth. Let them try it, whats the worst that could happen? We lost in humiliating fashion? Oh no, we've never been there before.

iced

Angry Ram said:
ChrisW said:
Angry Ram said:

I did read the article. And I stand by my opinion of bashing the OC during the down times is lazy. I'm not saying he isn't @ fault, but I just don't believe in a high amount of bashing the OC.

You are what your record says you are... and his record as an OC isn't that good..

not to mention his play calling has been absolutely dreadful - I'm not an analyst but I don't need to be to spot run/pass presnap..

but hey - don't mind the corners running the receivers routes for them because they know whats coming

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
El Juggernauto said:
I am wondering who is refusing to let Sam do what he does best. He was a spread, shotgun, sugar huddle kind of QB and he was terrific at it, when he is allowed to do it in the pros, he is terrific at it...but we dont let him do it. The BS excuse of the Defense will get tired is getting tired itself. They will adjust. We have pretty decent line depth. Let them try it, whats the worst that could happen? We lost in humiliating fashion? Oh no, we've never been there before.

The funny thing is faster paced play calling is supposed to be a good part of the AC offense. Fisher is the reason that we aren't running no huddle. He's terrified of 3 and outs for some reason. It's not like we don't have plenty of them already. There can be no harm done coming out strong with a fast pace first drive on Sunday. Set the tone, and show the Jags that they won't stand a chance.

I'm not particularly sold that our offensive woes are on Schotty. I was just posting this article for a point of view, and some discussion. I do think creativity is lacking on his part, however, I don't think that's truely what's holding us back. Pettis and Givens may be the only 2 that know the play book and verbiage in the play book well enough to open it up for them.

After all, I have heard that things were changed in this offense for Mark Sanchez, because he could not get the play calling and Verbiage down during Schotty's time there.

iced

El Juggernauto said:

exactly

and if the offense is successful with points, IT HELPS the defense if they keep up their end of the bargain..2 drives in a row with points would allow the defense to pin their ears back and go after the QB

A55VA6

Legend
He's not the right fit with this roster. I always knew Schotty as a power run guy. His passing attack has always been poor.

Here a list of offences who have scored less first half points than the Rams:

Jacksonville Jaguars.

Does that answer the question.

Angry Ram

El Juggernauto said:
What in this guys history suggest that he has what it takes to form a top tier offence?

He was apart of the Jets that went to the AFC 2 years in a row. His offense utilized stud RBs and the TE.

A55VA6 said:
He's not the right fit with this roster. I always knew Schotty as a power run guy. His passing attack has always been poor.

Now this I could agree with. But then again, the Rams running game is so bad it's hard to place all blame on the OC him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
OC and DC are always thrown under the bus. It's easier to be loyal and find no fault with players.

Schotty isn't the best OC in the game by far. But if he was awful he would have been out of the league long ago. His scheme is complicated, close to Martz complicated and his play calling could be better.
But regardless of the system or play call it has to be executed right. Regardless of the scheme all routes are basically the same. Either you get separation or you don't. And if you get separation the QB has to see it and get the ball in the window otherwise it's a fail.
Ditto with run blocking, even if there is a hole the back can't go down at first contact.

People talk about all these playmakers. Where are they? All I have seen is a bunch of Devanny type players.Maybe they will show up soon when the get the hang of what they're suppose to do.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Angry Ram said:
El Juggernauto said:

He was apart of the Jets that went to the AFC 2 years in a row. His offense utilized stud RBs and the TE.

A55VA6 said:

Now this I could agree with. But then again, the Rams running game is so bad it's hard to place all blame on the OC him.
What about the reports that have always said he's been bland and unimaginative? Or that his play calling has always been ineffective and at sometimes downright bizarre.

He's not a good OC, he was long derided before he even got his hands on the Rams, so it's not like he's suddenly being picked on because the Rams are bad, the facts are Fisher was the only guy willing to take a flyer on him and the reports on him are proving to be true.

His only success came when he lucked into getting LT, even then after two bouts of success with guys like that, his team stagnated when they needed him the most and they only scored 19 points in either of their AFCCG. Not a good show that your offense completely disappears in the crunch, he was miserably out coached in the playoffs. Then he never recovered and neither did the team.

Then he was tossed out on his ears.

He's not receiving anymore blame than he deserves, he's just not a very good OC.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
El Juggernauto said:

this x2 i just cant understand it. SB has proven he can run the no huddle and get results. its just so bizarre that our coaches will not even try it to start a game. :grr:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Is Brian Schottenheimer the Right Fit for the Rams? Imo - No.

I was not a fan of the offensive play calling last year and im not a fan of it even more this year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Do you guys see the elements of a more traditional West Coast offense this year over Air Coryell?

I know AC is a type of West Coast, but it seems like a very bland version. Almost like he's having to regress back to the traditional WC because of our new personnel. I don't know. I just don't feel like a guy can continue to be a OC like Brian, and continue to have no imagination, or tricks up his sleeve to pull us out of a funk.