Is Boras the guy, or..........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not know much about it, but it seemed to me that Cignetti did well at the beginning of the season, and as soon as other teams had some film on him, the offense dwindled. As an outsider looking in, Cignetti did not have the imagination and willingness to change his game plan to keep defenses on their toes. Once other teams had Cignetti's number we were stagnant.

So now we have one some games under a new offensive coordinator, who really shows some signs of adapting, but so did Cigs at first. Can Boras posses the creativity it takes when there is film out there on your plan? Should we be pounding the pavement for a new OC.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I'm skeptical. Yep, we've won 3 games in a row, but only had 207 yards last week? I don't know if he's the solution. We need a seasoned, innovative OC and then Fisher needs to just let him do his thing. I still think Boras / Keenum are being held back by Fisher.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
From the camp report yesterday it seems nothing has been decided going forward and Boras is fine with that. Unless Fisher gets a new contract/extension it will be hard for them to hire anyone else. I do expect that extension sooner than later but the timing will effect what they are able to do in hiring someone from outside.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From the camp report yesterday it seems nothing has been decided going forward and Boras is fine with that. Unless Fisher gets a new contract/extension it will be hard for them to hire anyone else. I do expect that extension sooner than later but the timing will effect what they are able to do in hiring someone from outside.

This.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If you want my honest opinion, only time will tell. I wanted Boras from the start. The Rams wanted a run game, they certainly drafted for it and committed to that philosophy with their offensive line draft selections. Their first round selection was a running back ... so all the signs are there, right?

But then we go with the guy who served as an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach instead of the guy who had experience as both an offensive line tight ends coach. It seemed contradictory to me to see them go with the quarterback whisperer, though I wasn't surprised that they went with the guy who had all of that college coordinator "experience".

But while I'm being honest, I have to say that I don't know if he'd have done much better with the adversity of Foles' play and the injuries to an already inexperienced offensive line. On the second point, I'm absolutely sure he'd have adjusted much more smoothly with regard to play calling. Of course the plays are the same, but that's to be expected when you pick up a team 3/4 of the way through the season with that kind of turnover due to injuries and quarterback play. Everyone seems obsessed with video game numbers, pass to run ratio, yards per attempt, etc ... and while those are certainly things to look at as a fan, they don't really win football games. To me, what wins football games is identifying and taking advantage of match-ups and formations. So it's more about the actual timing of the plays you call. That and execution, which both point to a positive change in coaching.

I was just going to compare the Seattle games since it's the same team and both coaches had a chance to start against them as coordinators, even though it's hardly a fair comparison when comparing the adjustments that both teams have made to their plan against each other as well as the injury situation, but we did win both games. And while Boras didn't put up near the same numbers, he did win by 3 more points in a game that I don't think was anywhere near as close for Seattle.

I do suspect that he would have won one more game, but I also wonder if might have just strung out the decision to jettison Foles. So I'm just being honest with you, I suspect that he wouldn't vary our playbook as much as some may like or want if he started the season next year as our offensive coordinator. But as some have already said, just looking at the personnel, I doubt you'd ever get to see your video game/fantasy football numbers from this team ... and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the camp report yesterday it seems nothing has been decided going forward and Boras is fine with that. Unless Fisher gets a new contract/extension it will be hard for them to hire anyone else.

Too early to tell with Boras. Blackbart is right about Fisher's contract tho. If I were Kronke, I would not extend Fish until halfway thru next season, at the earliest! Fish promoted Cigs, and then gave Boras the job... this is Fisher's bed... he needs to lie in it, and his future should depend on it, IMHO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One thing I love about Boras is his attention tion to detail. For the first trust time kingfIsher has been here the offensive line played a mistake free game. From Boras description he sounds meticulous and precise. It seems to have rubbed off. We may get to find out if Rob can do it.

I would try to lure Marts to come in as an offensive advisor for the season and help Boras out.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm skeptical. Yep, we've won 3 games in a row, but only had 207 yards last week? I don't know if he's the solution. We need a seasoned, innovative OC and then Fisher needs to just let him do his thing. I still think Boras / Keenum are being held back by Fisher.

Did not have a lot of yards, but they essentially lost a possession with the D's scoop and score and then they had a one play 30 yard scoring drive after Austin's punt return.

That along with some bend don't break defense that allowed Seattle to eat clock, hurt the offenses chance to get more opportunities. Plus with the lead they definitley played closer to the vest in the 2nd half until the lead was cut to 6.

I would like to see them push Keenum more this week to open it up a bit and see what he can do throwing it 30 times.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Held back by Fisher, or limited by the personnel? They have a backup at QB. They have backups playing both Guard positions. They have inexperienced Tackles. They have a rookie RB. A "gadget" player lining up as an every down WR.

As fans, we tend to overlook how this can limit what they are able to do from a scheme and play calling standpoint. It comes across as a ultra-conservative "philosophy", when in fact there's only so much you ask them to do. It was very apparent when they were forced to a patchwork offensive line when Havenstein was out. Being forced to play guys like Donnal and Rhaney dramatically affected what they could do with a game plan and ultimately play calling.

While Boras has "enjoyed" the continuity of having the same five guys on the OLINE for the past month, he has still been limited to a point with the personnel now at his disposal.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yes for the sake of continuity
Fisher isn't going anywhere and we have the youngest team in the NFL and are about to get younger
So i think he deserves a shot (not Shott) at a full season in charge

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate read on Boras and his true philosophy this season. He's using the same playbook Cignetti did as there's limited to no opportunity to change much at this stage of the season. The sample size shows that he has done well at making the most of the hand dealt. @CoachO states it best, that actually having some continuity and the resulting experience has been the best medicine. The playbook is still very limited as some on the Oline are just not capable at this point of utilizing the entire thing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did not have a lot of yards, but they essentially lost a possession with the D's scoop and score and then they had a one play 30 yard scoring drive after Austin's punt return.

That along with some bend don't break defense that allowed Seattle to eat clock, hurt the offenses chance to get more opportunities. Plus with the lead they definitley played closer to the vest in the 2nd half until the lead was cut to 6.

I would like to see them push Keenum more this week to open it up a bit and see what he can do throwing it 30 times.
SF sux against the run. They are ripe for the Rams to run the ball 50 times and I expect that will be the game plan.Pound it, pound it, and pound it some more until they are broken and bleeding.I'd rather see Gurley go for 200+ and 3 or 4 TDs

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Boras is the man and he might just be the guy who saved Jeff Fisher! I feel great about next season with Williams as the DC and Boras as the OC and with confidence in Boras each day, Fisher will trust him more which IMO could even open up the offense more!
rob-boras-featured-2.jpg

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Held back by Fisher, or limited by the personnel? They have a backup at QB. They have backups playing both Guard positions. They have inexperienced Tackles. They have a rookie RB. A "gadget" player lining up as an every down WR.

As fans, we tend to overlook how this can limit what they are able to do from a scheme and play calling standpoint. It comes across as a ultra-conservative "philosophy", when in fact there's only so much you ask them to do. It was very apparent when they were forced to a patchwork offensive line when Havenstein was out. Being forced to play guys like Donnal and Rhaney dramatically affected what they could do with a game plan and ultimately play calling.

While Boras has "enjoyed" the continuity of having the same five guys on the OLINE for the past month, he has still been limited to a point with the personnel now at his disposal.
But Coach, Fisher drafted and signed these players. He also nominated Cignetti and now Boras. Are you saying that Fisher is not a conservative coach when it comes to his offensive philosophy??

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

Me too.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think looking at the raw numbers in terms of yards really misses the big picture. There are two drives in the 2nd half that really stand out for me and that show that our offense was pretty damn effective given the limitations it has right now. On the first one, the Rams took over deep in their own territory. Rather than doing a 3 and out was we have become so accustomed to in the brief Nick Foles era, they moved the ball to midfield before punting, completely changing the field position of the game - and chewing clock to give our D a rest.

The second one was after Seattle scored to make it 16-10. The Rams went on a long drive that a) used up plenty of clock and rested our D; and b) got another TD to increase the lead to 13. That was huge and it was clutch, and it's something Rams fans hadn't seen since Gurley's coming out party at Arizona in week 4.

Overall, throughout the game, they did what the needed to in order to allow our defense to take over the game without eventually faltering. That's exactly what we were hoping the O would do all season.

I can't say I'm 100% sold on Boras yet, but I'm at least 90% of the way there. He took over under some difficult circumstances. He's got a QB who so far has been a career backup and is on his 2nd team. He's got a young OL to work with. His best WR has been Kenny Britt. And yet in two of the games he called, the offense has been good enough (DET and SEA) and in a third, TB, they were just simply good. The execution is clearly much better, and as others have suggested, it appears that the attention to detail is rubbing off on them.

If the Rams field a competent offense and win Sunday, they will be 4-0 with Boras running the show, and that will include a huge road win in Seattle where the Rams O made some clutch plays when they needed to. It will be awfully difficult to justify going out and getting someone else in those circumstances.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I feel much better about Boras than I did, but regardless this looms as Fisher's biggest decision this offseason.

Some will say QB, I realize. But it all starts with who is driving scheme and leading the unit from the coaching side. Even if you draft a top QB you gotta have the right staff to set him up for success.