Is Blackpeoplemeet.com Racist?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, on that premise, I would agree it would cause an uproar. As well it should. We already had that putrid era of "Whites Only" water fountains, restaurants, bathrooms, schools, etc. It's a stigma that isn't (and shouldn't be) easily forgotten. But as I said, all dating sites ARE predominantly geared towards Caucasians anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is if another race wants to put together a dating site tailored to a (insert race here) population. Why should anyone care? You can join, I can join, black people can join, it's not exclusionary. It's just a better option for black people than sites like eHarmony.
And what I keep trying to get to here is that it's not about what bothers either of us ,it's a matter of whether a standard of behavior is uniformly applied and if it's not is the excuse for it's lack of uniformity bona fide and I don't accept the logic,if a white sight today voices that preference it bears no culpability in the occurrences of the past so IF someone has a problem with one and not the other I think they are applying a double standard and double standards are what the slave owners used to justify their atrocities .
This isn't about US it's about the standards we ask everyone to live up to without conferring dispensation that breeds an attitude of entitlement.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I'm out.
It just doesn't cut that deep for me.

had

Rookie
But again this isn't merely a "recognition" this IS an expression of preference as surely as white restroom /black restroom is,whether they follow through on enforcing it doesn't change the intent of the person who issues it.

I lived and worked 45 years in a predominantly black neighborhood,been cat called about my race, been surrounded by black teenagers threatening to "knock me out " for the sin of being white ,I've experienced that first hand ,and respectfully man it didn't render me any more an authority on this matter.
I merely adamantly maintain that racism is a state of mind, not an act, that the acts are manifestations of that state of mind , and that if it is racist for any color person to express publicly and FWIW loudly that they want to associate exclusively with people of their color then it is racist for every color to do so ,history be damned.
Further I believe that those who allow themselves double standards about things like this are of a state of mind that allows them other double standards all of which they HAVE to find justification for and that those manufactured justifications are themselves the root cause of racism.

White restroom/black restroom is the same as a dating website that is geared toward black people.

That is called an equivocation, my man.

As in, a false equivalence.

You are, as far as I've seen on this website, as usual, binding me with ancient logical fallacies.

The two are not equivalent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And what I keep trying to get to here is that it's not about what bothers either of us ,it's a matter of whether a standard of behavior is uniformly applied and if it's not is the excuse for it's lack of uniformity bona fide and I don't accept the logic,if a white sight today voices that preference it bears no culpability in the occurrences of the past so IF someone has a problem with one and not the other I think they are applying a double standard and double standards are what the slave owners used to justify their atrocities .
This isn't about US it's about the standards we ask everyone to live up to without conferring dispensation that breeds an attitude of entitlement.

I think that's a stretch. It's like saying that a Jewish person not being criticized for wearing the star of David while a white Christian is criticized for having a swastika tattoo is a double standard. I think you're reaching here. There's always context.

But I honestly don't think that a place called whitepeoplemeet would be that objectionable. Whitepeopleonly.com, that might get some objections.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think that's a stretch. It's like saying that a Jewish person not being criticized for wearing the star of David while a white Christian is criticized for having a swastika tattoo is a double standard. I think you're reaching here. There's always context.

But I honestly don't think that a place called whitepeoplemeet would be that objectionable. Whitepeopleonly.com, that might get some objections.
Except of course jrry you JUST compared being white to being a Nazi and THAT my man is the problem the swastika confers approval just saying I'm white and I have the right to prefer white people as much as you do to prefer black people is far from the same .White people existed long before the sin of American slavery and segregation.
But YOU confer guilt on all whites and therein lies your fallacy and the way people arrive AT the point where they accept the premise you've advanced there is through incremental things like this.

That it doesn't bother you or I can be born of noble intent but it moves the needle toward an acceptance of a premise of trans generational guilt which if someone hasn't noticed exists they just aren't paying attention,it's present within the argument for affirmative action it even exists within Supreme Court ruling that reverse discrimination is OK in some instances .
DO you believe in trans generational guilt as a concept ? If not then please quit conjuring the sins of the past ,if you do realize it's exactly what Hitler used to justify his atrocities against the Jews.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except of course jrry you JUST compared being white to being a Nazi and THAT my man is the problem the swastika confers approval just saying I'm white and I have the right to prefer white people as much as you do to prefer black people is far from the same .White people existed long before the sin of American slavery and segregation.
But YOU confer guilt on all whites and therein lies your fallacy.

No, I just asked a hypothetical question where the person was white and had a swastika tattoo(which you immediately assumed Nazi...so that obviously proves my point). I didn't claim all white people were Nazis.

So, answer the question please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
No, I just asked a hypothetical question where the person was white and had a swastika tattoo(which you immediately assumed Nazi...so that obviously proves my point). I didn't claim all white people were Nazis. In order to dance around my question...because answering it likely would have dealt a blow to your argument...you have now tried to deflect using the racism card?

So, answer the question please.
please re read my post including the edit and quit characterizing, if the swastika wasn't intended to be a Nazi reference tell me what objectionable implication you intended it to carry because of course within that context it was used to imply something objectionable. I'll be glad to answer your question once you clarify what the references are intended to mean.

I didn't say you said all people were Nazis I said that you implied saying I'm white and I'm a Nazi were similar expressions using your example and THAT implication makes the connection.

Again if you have no problem with any of this it's fine but if you use the past as justification that others should not have a problem with it then I have a problem with that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That it doesn't bother you or I can be born of noble intent but it moves the needle toward an acceptance of a premise of trans generational guilt which if someone hasn't noticed exists they just aren't paying attention,it's present within the argument for affirmative action it even exists within Supreme Court ruling that reverse discrimination is OK in some instances .
DO you believe in trans generational guilt as a concept ? If not then please quit conjuring the sins of the past ,if you do realize it's exactly what Hitler used to justify his atrocities against the Jews.

I don't believe you should feel guilty if you don't feel that you are a racist or a bigot. And I also don't feel that you are being deprived of anything either.

So no, I don't see anything wrong.

please re read my post including the edit and quit characterizing, if the swastika wasn't intended to be a Nazi reference tell me what objectionable implication you intended it to carry because of course within that context it was used to imply something objectionable. I'll be glad to answer your question once you clarify what the references are intended to mean.

I didn't say you said all people were Nazis I said that you implied saying I'm white and I'm a Nazi were similar expressions using your example and THAT implication makes the connection.

Again if you have no problem with any of this it's fine but if you use the past as justification that others should not have a problem with it then I have a problem with that.

Actually, being white and being a Nazi were never connected. I only used a white person with a swastika as an example. You made the connection. Which answers the question. There is no double standard. Just historical context.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I don't believe you should feel guilty if you don't feel that you are a racist or a bigot. And I also don't feel that you are being deprived of anything either.

So no, I don't see anything wrong.

Actually, being white and being a Nazi were never connected. I only used a white person with a swastika as an example. You made the connection. Which answers the question. There is no double standard. Just historical context.
So you are going to evade explaining the meaning of the question and assume an answer base on contrived misunderstanding ?
And again ,I'm not saying ,I'm deprived ,quit making this about me or you, this is whether some people have an unjustified privileged bestowed while others don't

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
OK I'm going to simplify this and then I'm out for a while .

Black/White people meet.com,If you have no problem with either or if you have a problem with both your position is consistent. If you have a problem with one and not the other your reasons for that I'll debate until you want to do me bodily harm. I'm wired that way but I think now is a good time to quit testing the self control of the board membership:bigup:
Thanks to everyone for the truncated discussion,on balance I think we kept our cool about what can easily become a hot subject.

Hasty banana

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK I'm going to simplify this and then I'm out for a while .

Black/White people meet.com,If you have no problem with either or if you have a problem with both your position is consistent. If you have a problem with one and not the other your reasons for that I'll debate until you want to do me bodily harm. I'm wired that way but I think now is a good time to quit testing the self control of the board membership:bigup:
Thanks to everyone for the truncated discussion,on balance I think we kept our cool about what can easily become a hot subject.

Hasty banana

I have no problem with either one. If whitepeoplemeet.com can make money, have at it. Corner the market.

So you are going to evade explaining the meaning of the question and assume an answer base on contrived misunderstanding ?
And again ,I'm not saying ,I'm deprived ,quit making this about me or you, this is whether some people have an unjustified privileged bestowed while others don't

I don't think they do.

The meaning of the question was pointing out that a double standard doesn't exist every time people don't have the same "privileges". We are enlightened enough to know our history and to have learned from it.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This shit was just supposed to be about a stupid commercial. How bout farmersmeet.com

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
^Secretly wants to hook up with someone on Farmersmeet.com

Too much?:heh:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
How bout should Obamacare cover assault rifles for women who have had abortions?

Status
Not open for further replies.