Is Blackmon a must for Rams if he’s there at No. 6?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
eb264b1a-61ff-11df-aadb-00127992bc8b.preview-620.jpg

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1sXeZM3kk

QUESTION: As we get closer to the NFL draft, some analysts are questioning Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon’s game-changing ability. Assuming he is still available when the Rams pick at No. 6, do you think Blackmon is worthy of a selection that high? Would the Rams be smarter to perhaps trade down and snatch a WR like Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd a little later?

JIM THOMAS
Yes, I still think that Blackmon is worthy of the No. 6 overall pick. It doesn’t take blazing speed to be an elite receiver, just look at Larry Fitzgerald. And Blackmon runs fast enough – he showed that at his pro day. You also have to wonder about Floyd because of his three alcohol-related incidents. Lastly, you need a trading partner to trade down, and at this point it doesn’t seem like there’s any one player worth trading up for. If you’re a quarterback-needy team anxious to get Ryan Tannehill, you need to get ahead of Miami at No. 8, so the team you’d be talking to about a trade would be Jacksonville at No. 7 not the Rams at No. 6.

BRYAN BURWELL
This is the essential question the Rams face as they prepare for that first-round pick and it’s not a simple decision. I don’t know what their draft board looks like or if they think Blackmon is a difference-maker wide receiver with the potential to become a Larry Fitzgerald type, or if he will fall just a notch below to the Dwayne Bowe level. If the Rams believe he will ultimately develop into another Fitzgerald, then I say take him at No. 6. If he is viewed as the Bowe type, then I would certainly try to move down in the draft, pick up another extra second-round pick and build some overall depth on the roster.

As you can tell by this answer, I don’t have a definitive opinion just yet. But either way the Rams go, they really can’t lose. They will upgrade the position with the selection of Blackmon, but a trade for more picks could be just as beneficial.

JEFF GORDON
This would be an interesting decision. There are six elite players at the top of the draft. If Blackmon fell to the Rams – rather than Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson or Morris Claiborne – then Fisher and Co. would have a decision to make. This apparently is a draft deep in WRs. And there is some opinion variance on Blackmon. The Rams could probably trade out of the pick and add another pick for the upper half of this draft. Blackmon would be the obvious pick for PR reasons, but Fisher isn’t concerned about that. If I’m the GM, I pick Blackmon in this scenario and move on. But I could understand why the Rams might believe otherwise.

STU DURANDO
The Rams need to be able to throw the ball and they’re not going to get it done well enough with the group they have at this point. It seems so long ago that Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were wreaking havoc on defenses. Blackmon has the potential and they need to take a shot, otherwise they’re not doing Sam Bradford any favors. Michael Floyd might end up being just as good but banking on a guy with DUI and underage drinking incidents while in college isn’t a great idea.

EDITOR’S NOTE: I stacked the question thinking I could pull one of our panelists over onto the Michael Floyd bandwagon. I understand Floyd had some alcohol-related issues in college, but that’s not a scarlet letter that he'll have to wear or that will necessarily define his adult life ... and it’s not exactly like the four pillars are still standing at Rams Park these days anyway. Bottom line: I think Floyd may have the more productive NFL career of these two players. And, given the concerns some have about him I believe the Rams could trade down a handful of spots, grab Floyd, and gobble up yet another additional second-round pick. Not sayin’ I’m right, but, just sayin’.

-- Roger Hensley

STL-Rams

Starter
I don't think he is, X. I think some other WR's can be just as good in round 2 and maybe round 3

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
STL-Rams said:
I don't think he is, X. I think some other WR's can be just as good in round 2 and maybe round 3

Everyone realizes this draft is pretty deep at WR but do any of them give you that feeling that this guy has "superstar" status just around the corner? Only one in my opinion has that "something" that seems it could jump out of the bottle at some point. There's just something about Blackmon that I can't put my finger on that screams, "If you don't pick me, you will be very very sorry some day". Then again, there could always be that Jerry Rice type guy lost in the shuffle that no one is even talking about right now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
There isn't a must pick for the Rams .Their needs are such that whatever they "lose" by picking someone else will be recovered by picking the BPA at another position and taking a receiver early in the second.

I heard an interesting take on drafting TR on Sirius the other day ,not that I am on board with it but it is a mitigating argument that would make it more acceptable should it happen.

The "Moving the Chains" crew observed that a RB is mostly done by the end of his first five years or at least his best years are usually those and that the new CBA only give the right to sign first round picks to a 5 year contract ,other rounds are shorter , so if you want a backs best years you don't have ink him to a second contract ,and the other players who play better in that 4-6-8 year range, you KNOW by then if you want to keep them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
The "Moving the Chains" crew observed that a RB is mostly done by the end of his first five years or at least his best years are usually those and that the new CBA only give the right to sign first round picks to a 5 year contract ,other rounds are shorter , so if you want a backs best years you don't have ink him to a second contract ,and the other players who play better in that 4-6-8 year range, you KNOW by then if you want to keep them.
I wonder what the new CBA says about players attempting to renegotiate their contracts after 3 or 4 years into a 5 year agreement. That's typically a problem with players that are perceived to exceed the value of their contract (e.g., rushing for 1800+ yards and 15 TDs). I've already gone on record saying that a player should honor his contract no matter what he does on the field. It's my belief that if you do REALLY well during the course of your contract, then good for you. That's what you're supposed to do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
I wonder what the new CBA says about players attempting to renegotiate their contracts after 3 or 4 years into a 5 year agreement. That's typically a problem with players that are perceived to exceed the value of their contract (e.g., rushing for 1800+ yards and 15 TDs). I've already gone on record saying that a player should honor his contract no matter what he does on the field. It's my belief that if you do REALLY well during the course of your contract, then good for you. That's what you're supposed to do.

Yeah and generally speaking the sanctity of a contract is something I support and I absolutely subscribe to it in sports where the wear and tear on the body is not as profound as it is in football.
However, I am generally on the players side in most re-negotiation cases in the NFL , the injury factor to me is a mitigating circumstance I can't ignore.

I guess being 62 and having the injury decimated body that I have is part of why I am sympathetic,IOW no matter where we fall on the issue there are subjective considerations we give weight to.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll be on record now, and people have the right to slam me for this if I'm wrong: Stephen Hill will have the best career out of all of the wideouts in this draft. Yes, I'm including Blackmon and Floyd.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Blackmon is the correct pick according to my crystal ball.

He's the best WR in this draft.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
I'll be on record now, and people have the right to slam me for this if I'm wrong: Stephen Hill will have the best career out of all of the wideouts in this draft. Yes, I'm including Blackmon and Floyd.

That's what I've been saying. Guess we'll see but I sure would like to see him in horns.

Speeps

Starter
Blackmon isn't a must pick if he's there. The Rams will trip themselves up if they feel that way. At the end of the day, the Rams have to make sure he's the right type of player for their scheme. Picking him just because you need a WR or to please the masses would be a terrible decision. He should be picked because they feel like he's going to have a great career, and will fit the system.

With that said, if Blackmon is there at 6, I'm taking him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speeps said:
Blackmon isn't a must pick if he's there. The Rams will trip themselves up if they feel that way. At the end of the day, the Rams have to make sure he's the right type of player for their scheme. Picking him just because you need a WR or to please the masses would be a terrible decision. He should be picked because they feel like he's going to have a great career, and will fit the system.

With that said, if Blackmon is there at 6, I'm taking him.
All true. I think all this Blackmon talk is fueled by the Rams' reluctance to secure a top-flight receiver for Bradford the past couple of years. Hell, even in 2009 we needed one. If they bypass Blackmon in this draft, it'll certainly be met with a bunch of criticism on that fact alone. But like you said, he may not be the top player on their board. And there actually are other receivers in this draft.

I still think that if Richardson slips, and Blackmon is still there too (unlikely), they'll take the RB.

Speeps

Starter
I agree with that. And from reports I have read, the Rams are in love with Richardson. I like him a lot as well.

With all this talk of Rams needing a playmaker, some forget RB's can make plays too.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
From what Todd McShay said yesterday I do not want Kendall Wright at all.

About his body fat or what? I didnt catch what he said.

I like Kendall Wright for his playmaking ability. Only reason Im not on his bandwagon is he projects almost exclusively to the slot position. We dont need another one. Smith, Danny, and Salas is enough.

superfan24

Starter
libertadrocks said:
superfan24 said:
From what Todd McShay said yesterday I do not want Kendall Wright at all.

About his body fat or what? I didnt catch what he said.

I like Kendall Wright for his playmaking ability. Only reason Im not on his bandwagon is he projects almost exclusively to the slot position. We dont need another one. Smith, Danny, and Salas is enough.

lol you hit both points on what he said. He was talking about the body fat and seemed to question his work ethic as well. Don't want/need another slot guy as well.
Almost just 4 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I won't say it's a must that they take Blackmon at #6, but I think our Oline is starting to shape up, and it doesn't matter how good they are if Sam has no one to throw to.
I say take him if he's there.

GO RAMS!!!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love TR but I too feel JB feels the bigger need for the Rams to win sooner. Of course, if both are gone at 6, I'm not crazy about taking Claiborne. I know, I know, he's the best cover CB in the draft but I just don't think that is as big a hole on this team as WR/DT/OLB or even a change of pace RB.

So if the Rams are faced with the reality of TR and JB gone before they pick and the phone doesn't ring for a good trade down, who do the RAMS pick at 6?

Speeps

Starter
Ramhusker said:
I love TR but I too feel JB feels the bigger need for the Rams to win sooner. Of course, if both are gone at 6, I'm not crazy about taking Claiborne. I know, I know, he's the best cover CB in the draft but I just don't think that is as big a hole on this team as WR/DT/OLB or even a change of pace RB.

So if the Rams are faced with the reality of TR and JB gone before they pick and the phone doesn't ring for a good trade down, who do the RAMS pick at 6?
That's a great question. I think they look at Claiborne, and Fletcher Cox.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Speeps said:
Ramhusker said:

That's a great question. I think they look at Claiborne, and Fletcher Cox.

Yeah has to be Claiborne IMO. Or Kalil, if he happens to be there.

There is so much smoke before the draft it's hard to tell what's true and whats not. I have heard some rumblings in the past several days that suggest Claiborne is overrated. That makes me a little hesitant on him. Supposedly JAX has Gilmore rated higher than Claiborne and Cosell, a film junkie, has Claiborne as his 3rd best CB.

IF our FO is as pessimistic on Claiborne as those reports suggest they may be, perhaps Floyd jumps into the discussion.