Is anyone NOT good with either QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Are people aware of Wentz' comp % when under pressure in just Div IIA Football. The stats out there for everything from velocity on the ball as Wentz throws 58 MPH to Goff's 57 MPH. Gil Brandt and PFF have measured it all. I think some here might have missed reading a few comparison facts. Trust me they have every comparison humanly possible done. By the way Gil Brandt along with so many is in the Goff is very special camp.

Both guys will have adjustments to make. One has so many more reps throwing its almost scary to compare. Goff has a 57 to 1 TD to int. ratio in the Redzone. One guys team won 5 National Championships in a row and he went 5-2 and hurt wrist and team then won 8-0 . Why are we not hunting that guy up ? We have a SUPER VERY SMALL sample size of passes thrown under pressure. Those stats are real,real bad. I know them but ask you to check them ALL out at PFF.

Footwork and accuracy are such rare gifts. Most never can get them down. What if you already had those things already in your favor and don't ypu think the adjustment will go smoother if your guy has them and has faced pressure of a much higher caliber and did better against it , than a weaker competition level? I will back Carson IF he is our pick but I will not expect to see him play as quickly as I would Goff with his polish. You think he was'nt under center in the rain when he lit up the RAMS practice field with Fisher watching. Brees has smaller hands than Goff so that won't stand up either as a problem.

Have you watched every game both have played? Neither is perfect. One played on a very bad team behind a bad O-line. The Bisons O-Line was dominant and thats why they ran the ball mostly. I have no clue who the Rams are taking but saying statements like one will transition better than the other is just crazy when all the stats and facts are brought in to play. We none here know what offense Fisher will decide to run this coming year besides surely with Play action to correctly use Gurley. I see so many missmatches with finally having an accurate passer on our team. Two years younger getting better every year ? I like all of Wentz' smarts and he will need every bit of them to help him along with working on his footwork. Quicker decision making is what made Warner successfull. Pre-snap reads. That is another area bro. Lets just wait 6 more days and see who we have to get behind. I have no clue who our guy is. Too much smoke to see through. I will back whomever and hope for the best. Some like potential over what one already has. Thats where they lose me. PEACE...

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17506785

An old article, but has some relevant quotes from Holmgren, Fox and Elway. I think what hits me most about some of the Goff camp is that there is a failure to acknowledge that he has as least as much work ahead of him as well. I'll support either come draft day, but don't think Goff is the next Brady or Brees when in year one, he may be worse off the Case Keenum.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The thing that makes me think Goff is the safer transition is that his in-game processing speed, his footwork and pocket-awareness just pass the eye-test, and seem to indicate a guy that's able to adjust to what he sees.

Well said. When I watch Goff, he just looks like he has it... That eye test thingy.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17506785

An old article, but has some relevant quotes from Holmgren, Fox and Elway. I think what hits me most about some of the Goff camp is that there is a failure to acknowledge that he has as least as much work ahead of him as well. I'll support either come draft day, but don't think Goff is the next Brady or Brees when in year one, he may be worse off the Case Keenum.

I also remember Eli Manning losing his first six games and struggled mightily. I expect lots of bumps in the road. I'm looking to 3 years down the road like Aaron Rodgers had. We don't have that Luxury with the Rams and I expect a delayed start as all of Fishers offensive players have been given. Not sure Case can hold the youngster back for too long. If its Carson , who knows he may start day one. Both have lots to adjust too. Jared is two years younger and is on his way.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have my own doubts about Wentz. I think the world of the guy but the NFL is separated by the QB's who can handle the Blitz by pocket awareness, movement in the pocket and quick processing and those who watch the punting unit trot on the field.

Wentz just hasn't been tested under duress enough to prove that he can handle it. He probably can and probably will learn how to, due to his work ethic and smarts but right now that area is largely unproven.

I'm rooting for the guy wherever he goes. He's a solid character with his head straight and grounded in faith.

Bradford is this regard was lacking. Poor pocket awareness and really raw vs the rush.

this is my greatest fear with wentz. he's been behind a good line like sam was and sam didn't handle the pocket breaking down very well. when he saw the lineman coming he would just wrap around the ball and wait for the hit. now this may have been spag's influence in protecting the ball at all costs, we'll never know.

but i've seen a couple of wentz games and when he sees a lineman coming he steps out of the way. the play never dies with him, he keeps trying till the end. not making stupid throws but trying to make something happen.so i don't think he'll be like sam in that regard because he does have escapability.

which brings me to my least favourite thing about wentz, he takes too many hits out of the pocket. if he does that in the nfl he won't be standing upright for too long. too many big, strong, mean men in the nfl for a qb to survive taking vicious hits.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
People comparing Goff from anything from Brian Hoyer to Mart Ryan. I don't know enough about the guys. Will have to trust the brains on this one and I'll support whoever we take, but I might have got Lynch if I was in the war room and kept our other picks. I'm not overwhelmed. Not like Maroota, Winston, Luck, Bridgewater or even RGIII (more fool me).

Hopefully Gil Brandt is right - Goff can be special.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Are people aware of Wentz' comp % when under pressure in just Div IIA Football. The stats out there for everything from velocity on the ball as Wentz throws 58 MPH to Goff's 57 MPH. Gil Brandt and PFF have measured it all. I think some here might have missed reading a few comparison facts. Trust me they have every comparison humanly possible done. By the way Gil Brandt along with so many is in the Goff is very special camp.

Both guys will have adjustments to make. One has so many more reps throwing its almost scary to compare. Goff has a 57 to 1 TD to int. ratio in the Redzone. One guys team won 5 National Championships in a row and he went 5-2 and hurt wrist and team then won 8-0 . Why are we not hunting that guy up ? We have a SUPER VERY SMALL sample size of passes thrown under pressure. Those stats are real,real bad. I know them but ask you to check them ALL out at PFF.

Footwork and accuracy are such rare gifts. Most never can get them down. What if you already had those things already in your favor and don't ypu think the adjustment will go smoother if your guy has them and has faced pressure of a much higher caliber and did better against it , than a weaker competition level? I will back Carson IF he is our pick but I will not expect to see him play as quickly as I would Goff with his polish. You think he was'nt under center in the rain when he lit up the RAMS practice field with Fisher watching. Brees has smaller hands than Goff so that won't stand up either as a problem.

Have you watched every game both have played? Neither is perfect. One played on a very bad team behind a bad O-line. The Bisons O-Line was dominant and thats why they ran the ball mostly. I have no clue who the Rams are taking but saying statements like one will transition better than the other is just crazy when all the stats and facts are brought in to play. We none here know what offense Fisher will decide to run this coming year besides surely with Play action to correctly use Gurley. I see so many missmatches with finally having an accurate passer on our team. Two years younger getting better every year ? I like all of Wentz' smarts and he will need every bit of them to help him along with working on his footwork. Quicker decision making is what made Warner successfull. Pre-snap reads. That is another area bro. Lets just wait 6 more days and see who we have to get behind. I have no clue who our guy is. Too much smoke to see through. I will back whomever and hope for the best. Some like potential over what one already has. Thats where they lose me. PEACE...

Why are so many anxious for a rookie QB to play right away, especially behind an untested OL.....Good Grief.:confused:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

I have to stop you right there.... Wentz did NOT play in DivIIA. He played in Div I A. HUGE difference ... carry on... ;)

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
If anyone knew what the hell direction we're going in offense would be helpful. Too many crazy things happening this year to have the correct answer. A Kronke sighting for God's sake. When was the last time that happened? It's showtime. Expect the unexpected. Kind of like this trade up to 1. Who saw that coming? I don't know if it's the Titanic or the 300 coming but I'm hoping for Maximus. Barney Fife seems to be my fate more often lately though. One sure thing is that we are going to see change. That's good enough with me for now.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
Gil Brandt has stated on his radio program on several occasions that he feels Wentz is the top QB. Last night he said one important factor is "did the guy come from a winning program". Yes, turning a program around is good, but Goff didn't single handedly do it alone. It has been said time and again, it is harder to stay on top. Why? Everyone is gunning for you.
Carson had a new HC, QB coach and OC not to mention slower receivers he had to wait on to get open. All that transition and the pressure to be perfect when perfect is expected. What did he do? Won two National Titles with several 4th quarter come back wins.

My rant on stats. Yes. Wentz Completion % under duress is not great. However those stats don't define what "under duress" is. Most of the time Wentz escaped pressure. When he was under duress, he was severely under duress. As for Goff and duress. The spread offense is very different from the Pro Set NDSU ran. Getting a completion is easier in the spread and from the gun while managing an easier offensive set.

Do you honestly think Goffs success here will translate 1 to 1 in the NFL? He will be under center, taking 3/5/7 step drops, calling the play at the LOS. Gotta admit that at CAL he looked sweet getting that ball out there, but lets be realistic here. Much more will be required before tossing the rock, and it will be very new to him.

Goff does show more passing polish, and he should. He tossed the rock more than Wentz. BY THE SAME TOKEN, Wentz will have more effectiveness presnap because he has more directly relatable experience in the Pro Set..
QB's have their challenges coming into the league. The question is which has the mental makeup to do it, and do it sooner??

Gil Brandt did say he felt that Goff could be special. However, Gil said he believes Wentz edges Goff . Tell the entire story please.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams paid a heavy price to have the ability to select one of these guys.
So the onus is on the Rams to build the offense to fit the QB they chose and not to fit the QB to the offense. The only offensive identity the Rams have is hand off to Gurley as much as possible. They could've brought in a UDFA QB to hand it off 400 times , but that's all he could do.
The game plan has to go through the QB, emphasising his strengths and hiding his flaws.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
By the way Gil Brandt along with so many is in the Goff is very special camp.

I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles
In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gil Brandt:
I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California.
dumb.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know some people are leery of picking any of these two guys. Especially giving up so much. But look at it this way. In the next five years there will be a changing of the guard. Brady and Brees will be gone. If Rogers and Big Ben are still playing they'll be on the downside of their careers. Manning and Flacco too.

So someone will step up and be that elite quarterback. Will it be one of the QB's taken the last 3 or 4 years? Or will it be one of these two? Or is that guy still in college? I don't know. But one thing I do know, if you don't take a chance you'll never get that guy. You'll never be one of the teams with an elite quarterback. I haven't seen a Kurt Warner story since, well, since Kurt Warner.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If anyone knew what the hell direction we're going in offense would be helpful.

It's pretty simple. They are gonna run it. A lot. The rookie QB will take advantage of that, and use Tavon and occasionally throw the deep pass to big guys Brian Quick and Kenny Britt. It's a tried and true philosophy.

Now if Brian Quick and the OL can improve, that will help alot. Also not get hurt.