Is any team(s) really willing to trade for Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I have always been a Sam Bradford fan but I have a very difficult time believing that some team(s) would be willing not only to trade anything of value for Sam Bradford but would also be willing to take on his 2015 Salary. I could see teams being interested in signing him if they could renegotiate his contract but I think his contract would have a lot of health stipulations it it. Of course, it would be nice if he would do this with the Rams! Am I totally wrong on my way of thinking? Are there teams that would actually make the Rams a decent trade offer for Bradford?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yes, because Bradford is the only good QB that teams have even a slightly realistic chance of getting. He's basically the only one when healthy that can lead them to the playoffs, or at least has the ability to. The QB market is incredibly thin and Bradford stands out among the rest.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I have always been a Sam Bradford fan but I have a very difficult time believing that some team(s) would be willing not only to trade anything of value for Sam Bradford but would also be willing to take on his 2015 Salary. I could see teams being interested in signing him if they could renegotiate his contract but I think his contract would have a lot of health stipulations it it. Of course, it would be nice if he would do this with the Rams! Am I totally wrong on my way of thinking? Are there teams that would actually make the Rams a decent trade offer for Bradford?

I tend to agree. When healthy he is the best option -if available - but that is a real question.

1. are you going to trade for QB that may not be healthy to start the season - not talking about another injury, I mean we have heard multiple times he may not have recovered by that point - even if healthy then, what if he misses large part of preseason, remember he needs to get up to speed with your team
2. are you going to trade for a guy one more injury away from the end of his career (I realize you could say that about any player, but same is a higher risk)
3. are you going to trade for a guy that may (realize this is an ? not a certainty) have happy feet after these multiple injuries
4. do you want to spend $13 mil on a guy with all that
5. do you want to give up draft picks on a guy with all that

I fully agree that if the rams cut him teams hold go after him (I doubt at $13 mil since they can't see him workout), I also believe that if Sam agreed to renegotiation teams might have interest in trading for him.

I do not think it is about what Sam could do if fully healthy, but a question of when or if he will be fully healthy again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two teams that needed a QB and were "rumored" to be talking to the Rams have each found their new QB. Coincidence? I dont think so.
He's not tradeable at this point. That contract? Hasnt played a reg season game in almost 2 years?
I totally understand the issue here, and why it presents such difficulty.
Sam should be paid on an incentive laden deal. Going to a new team presents the dilemma that he needs to learn new system, new players etc. In order to reach those incentives he needs to play, and play well.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't think other teams are willing to provide the compensation we would want for him. Why would we give him up for a 5th round pick when we don't have any other viable options?

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tend to agree. When healthy he is the best option -if available - but that is a real question.

1. are you going to trade for QB that may not be healthy to start the season - not talking about another injury, I mean we have heard multiple times he may not have recovered by that point - even if healthy then, what if he misses large part of preseason, remember he needs to get up to speed with your team
2. are you going to trade for a guy one more injury away from the end of his career (I realize you could say that about any player, but same is a higher risk)
3. are you going to trade for a guy that may (realize this is an ? not a certainty) have happy feet after these multiple injuries
4. do you want to spend $13 mil on a guy with all that
5. do you want to give up draft picks on a guy with all that

I fully agree that if the rams cut him teams hold go after him (I doubt at $13 mil since they can't see him workout), I also believe that if Sam agreed to renegotiation teams might have interest in trading for him.

I do not think it is about what Sam could do if fully healthy, but a question of when or if he will be fully healthy again.

Totally agree! I just wish Bradford would agree to renegotiate his contract (With the Health/Games Played Incentives included!) with the Rams but I am not sure that he will since that may not be in his best interest! But, I am keeping my fingers (And, toes!) crossed that maybe he will feel like the Rams have treated him very well (And, he has made a LOT of money without actually giving them much of a return at this point) and to help them out he will consider helping them with a new renegotiated contract! I would be thrilled to have Sam Bradford back but only if he agrees to some kind of new deal with the Rams. If not, then I personally think it is time to move on and spend that $12-13 Million somewhere else.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Daniel Jeremiah said it best:
"I gave Sam Bradford a higher grade coming out than Marcus Mariota, and Sam when he's been on the field has done some good things," Jeremiah said of Bradford, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft. "But it's a moot point. You can't rely on Sam Bradford to stay healthy. Ability minus durability gives you nothing. "

paceram

Pro Bowler
I don't think other teams are willing to provide the compensation we would want for him. Why would we give him up for a 5th round pick when we don't have any other viable options?

The only reason I can see for the Rams to accept a 5th round pick is if the Rams are not optimistic about his health (And, his ability to stay on the field) and don't want to pay his salary this season and getting something for him is better than nothing. The only reason I can see a team trading for him is if that team doesn't think they have much of a chance to sign him if the Rams do indeed release him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nobody wants to trade for Sam Bradford. They want him for nothing because of the health issues and they will want to pay him like a backup. No team is giving him what the Rams are trying to get out of. Any team looking to get him will want to pay him around 3 million a year with incentives, that rely on him staying on the field. The incentives would add up to about 2 years and 16 million, similar to what Carson Palmer renegotiated to prove he could stay on the field. (then the Cards give him the big money 3yrs/50 million and he gets hurt again).

Sam is too big of a risk.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Nobody wants to trade for Sam Bradford. They want him for nothing because of the health issues and they will want to pay him like a backup. No team is giving him what the Rams are trying to get out of. Any team looking to get him will want to pay him around 3 million a year with incentives, that rely on him staying on the field. The incentives would add up to about 2 years and 16 million, similar to what Carson Palmer renegotiated to prove he could stay on the field. (then the Cards give him the big money 3yrs/50 million and he gets hurt again).

Unfortunately, I agree!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think the "talking" to the Rams about acquiring Bradford amounted to the same talk a guy w/ a high priced driver gets from his normal foursome after a shanked drive.
"Hey man, I'll give you $10 for that driver to take that off your hands." (And he paid over $200 for it.....)
I think the Rams had the same answer. "I think we're okay......."

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If you were not able to get a first or second rounder for him why would you even consider trading unless you believe he is damaged goods. I mean it is a stretch that you would acquire any QB of starting caliber beyond round 2 (Hundley). I can't see trading a starter for what would in essence be a project given our current situation.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The two teams that needed a QB and were "rumored" to be talking to the Rams have each found their new QB. Coincidence? I dont think so.
He's not tradeable at this point. That contract? Hasnt played a reg season game in almost 2 years?
I totally understand the issue here, and why it presents such difficulty.
Sam should be paid on an incentive laden deal. Going to a new team presents the dilemma that he needs to learn new system, new players etc. In order to reach those incentives he needs to play, and play well.

Totally agree with this point (from a team's perspective) but from Sam's perspective, one more bust knee and its goodbye football, get as much money as you can for now, because you never know when it's your last down...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think there are quite a few teams that would like to have him. But the Rams want to have him too - and so the price tag is just too high for him to be traded.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sam's ability to stay healthy is a real concern.

But if he does; he's a playoff capable QB.

The FA group of QB's... can't claim the ladder. So... Sam's worth the gamble.

He's not going to be traded.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Daniel Jeremiah said it best:
"I gave Sam Bradford a higher grade coming out than Marcus Mariota, and Sam when he's been on the field has done some good things," Jeremiah said of Bradford, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft. "But it's a moot point. You can't rely on Sam Bradford to stay healthy. Ability minus durability gives you nothing. "
If I remember 6th grade math correctly it actually leaves you with: '-dur'

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Nobody wants to trade for Sam Bradford.

Evidence please. There is some evidence that says there may be a team or more that is willing to trade for him. Unless you are an NFl insider, not sure you can back up your claims.

According to Jason Cole, there are NFL teams at the top of the 2015 NFL draft order that aren't very interested in either quarterbacks Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston. Full quote here:

"This is really fascinating because there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford, who’s 27 and coming off basically missing the last year and a half of his career — that they would rather have then take a chance on, say, somebody like Marcus Mariota or Jamies Winston because they have seen what Bradford can do. One caveat to this is: is Bradford healthy or not coming off of two ACL surgeries? But the belief is: take a shot with Bradford and save your first round draft pick and take somebody else."

Irish

Starter
Trading for an expensive player with an injury history like Bradford's, giving up what would be decent compensation, and then watching that player get hurt is the kind of thing that gets GMs fired.

I don't blame any GM being more than a little gun shy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evidence please. There is some evidence that says there may be a team or more that is willing to trade for him. Unless you are an NFl insider, not sure you can back up your claims.

According to Jason Cole, there are NFL teams at the top of the 2015 NFL draft order that aren't very interested in either quarterbacks Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston. Full quote here:

"This is really fascinating because there are teams that are sitting at the top of the draft, according to executives that I’ve talked to, who would believe that they would prefer to have Sam Bradford, who’s 27 and coming off basically missing the last year and a half of his career — that they would rather have then take a chance on, say, somebody like Marcus Mariota or Jamies Winston because they have seen what Bradford can do. One caveat to this is: is Bradford healthy or not coming off of two ACL surgeries? But the belief is: take a shot with Bradford and save your first round draft pick and take somebody else."
I think its the other way around.
There's no evidence that an NFL team would trade for him. The two rumors were so vehemently denied by all parties that it was clear it was just a stab by a writer.