Interview With Kurt Warner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I understand what you're saying, but Warner was a turnover machine in 2002. After he broke his finger in the Super Bowl he wasn't the same until he put on the gloves. Not to mention, Marc Bulger was a hell of a QB. And Martz obviously proved he could take any guy and make him a stud. Look at Fitzpatrick. Mike made him a lot of money in his career.

I'm still a believer that Trent Green would have done the same thing as Warner in 1999. Look at the 2000 season after he got hurt. Green took over and put up some incredible stats. I'm not trying to take anything away from Warner because the Cardinals don't go to the Super Bowl without him. But, Mike Martz was a QB genius and would have won with anyone during those GSOT years.

There is a lot of this I do not agree with and isn't accurate. But I luv ya so I won't start a discussion about it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Please do. I love discussions.

Go look at when Warner broke his pinky. It wasn't the SB, it was in 2002.

And when Green played in 2000 and how he did look and perform and what was his W-L record.

And the fact that Martz isn't and didn't turn anyone into anything. Bulger and Green had their best years on other teams.

The idea that Martz would have "won with anyone" is negated by the fact that he never won shit without Warner, including when he had Bulger.

Fitzpatrick SUCKED with the Rams and played much better with other teams. It isn't even close. Not even debatable.

So most of what you are posting is myths and stuff that has been made up and perpetuated on the internet and has no basis in fact/truth.

Martz himself has said it was a mistake to dump Warner and go with Bulger. The guy who made the move says it was a mistake. How can anyone counter that?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Go look at when Warner broke his pinky. It wasn't the SB, it was in 2002.

And when Green played in 2000 and how he did look and perform and what was his W-L record.

And the fact that Martz isn't and didn't turn anyone into anything. Bulger and Green had their best years on other teams.

The idea that Martz would have "won with anyone" is negated by the fact that he never won crap without Warner, including when he had Bulger.

Fitzpatrick SUCKED with the Rams and played much better with other teams. It isn't even close. Not even debatable.

So most of what you are posting is myths and stuff that has been made up and perpetuated on the internet and has no basis in fact/truth.

Martz himself has said it was a mistake to dump Warner and go with Bulger. The guy who made the move says it was a mistake. How can anyone counter that?
Well let's start off with how Marc Bulger has only played on the Rams and Ravens(he was a backup all year). So maybe you're thinking of Fitzpatrick. Speaking of him, his breakout game in the NFL was vs the Houston Texans in 2005. I 100% believe he would have been out of the league within 3 years if he never got a shot with the Rams.

Let's also remember that Martz actually never won anything. Vermeil was the head coach in 1999 and we had a top 10 defense. After Dickydoo left the defense got worse over the years. So who's to say that a better defense wouldn't have won that playoff game vs the Panthers(here's looking at you Jason Sehorn). I agree that it was probably a mistake to let him go in the long run. But how do you justify keeping a QB who had 19 turnovers compared to 3 touchdowns. That's Ryan Leaf territory. From a business standpoint you have to go with the hot hand. Not hope your guy can recover. The next year, Marc Bulger lead the team to a 12-4 record. Now what? Do you seriously consider going back to Warner after having the year they had with Marc? I don't think so. Not to mention Warner wanted to start. So we got rid of him.

With Trent, he was talented as hell. The dude could throw just as well as Kurt. So I think he could of done close to what Warner did. The 2000 season was the same for both guys. Lots of yards but lots of turnovers. Together they had 5,232 yards 37 touchdowns and 23 INTs. Green had a better passer rating too.

I'm not advocating that Warner isn't a great QB. But let's not pretend that he would have done that on every other team. He was surrounded by HOFers in STL and AZ. So take that for what it's worth I guess.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The latest by Peter King on Kurt Warner getting into the Hall of Fame this year.
http://www.sports360az.com/2017/01/peter-king-weighs-warner-hof-chances/

Peter King Weighs Warner HOF Chances
Sports360AZ
By Kaelen Jones

kurt-warner.jpg

The third time’s a charm, right?

Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner has been named a finalist to be inducted into the 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame class. It’s the third consecutive year he’s been named one of 15 modern-era finalists for inclusion, but will he be included?

Sports Illustrated senior NFL writer Peter King joined Sports360AZ’s Brad Cesmat on Tuesday morning and spoke on whether he believed Warner was going to be enshrined in Canton on Saturday, when the official group is voted on.

“This is one of those years where, ‘O.K., LaDainian Tomlinson, I think, is highly likely (to get in),’” King said. “But, this is one of those years I think the other four spots, I will not be surprised (if) Tony Bisceli, Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner (get in) — I just won’t be surprised no matter who gets his named called this year. And I don’t mean that to shirk my responsibilities for you asking the question, Brad. I truly don’t know.”

King says that he keeps a notebook he writes his personal choices down before going in to vote, and usually gets a few right. He’s not as confident that will be the case this year.

Says King: “This year, I have no idea what I’m going to write down.”

In regards to the three older committee nominations on the ballot — former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, and former Seattle Seahawks Kenny Easley, who must garner 80 percent of a ‘yes or no’ vote to be entered into the Hall — King says he’s just as unsure they’ll be inducted this year.

“My gut feeling is all three of them belong,” he said, adding he feels similarly in regards to Warner.

“I would vote ‘yes’ on Warner,” King says, noting it isn’t that simple because he would vote in favor of more than five members in the class.

“If it’s Warner vs. Brian Dawkins, that’s a real tough one, because I think absolutely think both guys are Hall of Fame players, but then you have to ask yourself, ‘Was Warner better at his position than Dawkins was at his?’” King explained.

“I favor Kurt Warner for the Hall of Fame,” he says. “But I can’t tell you right now that if it comes down to he’s in the 10, and I’ve got to vote for five in the 10, if he’s going to make it.”

Through five seasons with the Cardinals, Warner led a high-powered passing attack which ranked among the top-five passing offenses in the league three times, and finished no worse than 12th. He even led Arizona to its lone Super Bowl appearance of the modern era (XLIII), and owns the franchise-best mark for completion percentage (65.1; minimum 10 attempts).

After going undrafted out of Northern Iowa, the former arena-footballer-turned-NFLer led one of the most storied and unlikely careers in league history. Warner didn’t start a NFL game until he turned 28, but won multiple league MVPs and Super Bowl MVP (XXXIV) with the then-St. Louis Rams, directing one of the most potent offenses in NFL history, “The Greatest Show on Turf.” After being released by the Rams, Warner spent one season with the New York Giants before signing with the Cardinals in 2005.

Warner finished his career with 67-49 overall record in his career, completing 65.5 percent of his passes for 32,344 yards (38th most all-time) and 208 touchdowns (tied-35th most all-time), while averaging 260.8 yards per game (seventh all-time).

The 2017 Hall of Fame class will be announced during the “NFL Honors” broadcast on FOX between 8-10 p.m. ET on Feb.4.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

kurt has never received the props he deserved by the media, especially that fat piece of lard above. not sure why that is. he's hands down the best clutch qb that ever played the game and his post season stats prove that point. i don't care what anybody says, kurt's the best qb i've seen play the game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So who's to say that a better defense wouldn't have won that playoff game vs the Panthers(here's looking at you Jason Sehorn)

surely you jest? the d is what carried the 2003 team throughout the season. their 46 turnovers helped keep the rams ahead in most games. it sure wasn't bulger's 22 tds to 22 ints. and you mention sehorn, sure he wasn't that great but before the play you're referring to who threw a horrible int inside fg range?

But how do you justify keeping a QB who had 19 turnovers compared to 3 touchdowns.

because you know what he's capable of as he just showed you the 3 seasons prior. you let him heal properly and stick him back in there when he was ready. funny how martz played warner with a broken hand over a healthy bulger then when warner's wife spilled the beans on martz's lie about the broken hand all of a sudden one bad game next season turns into a permanent benching.

I'm not advocating that Warner isn't a great QB. But let's not pretend that he would have done that on every other team. He was surrounded by HOFers in STL and AZ. So take that for what it's worth I guess.

i'll take it like this, every great qb got help from his teammates. let's not kid ourselves here.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Warner played better with the same cast than the other quarterbacks for Arizona. So he was head and shoulders above them. He played better in New Jersey than the rookie the one year he was there in 2004. So he is not an average quarterback by any means. Are you saying Joe Montana was nothing because he had Roger Craig and Jerry Rice and John Taylor? Brady had his best season with Randy Moss. Put Brady on the current Rams and it would not have been pretty. Warner was special, and he deserves in the HOF.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
First off I meant to type that Bulger had his best year under another coach, not on another team. Green had his best years on another team. But we can see where I am going there.

This is a common myth, he wasn't surrounded by HOF players. To date Pace, who really belongs more in the Hall Of Really, Really Good versus the HOF and Faulk is clearly a HOF player.

LFitzgerald will certainly be in the HOF. Bruce and Holt may have to wait years to get in, they may have to wait for a "thin year" because of the numbers WR's have put up. Holt has a better chance then Bruce IMO but they could both end up out.

What other HOF players did he play with? What other players are HOF possibilities?

Nobody else in AZ and nobody else in STL other than possibly Holt and Bruce will be in the HOF, and Bruce and Holt are far from being locks to get in.

But how do you justify keeping a QB who had 19 turnovers compared to 3 touchdowns

I'm not sure that is accurate. So I would ask you to back it up.

Speaking of him, his breakout game in the NFL was vs the Houston Texans in 2005. I 100% believe he would have been out of the league within 3 years if he never got a shot with the Rams.

Based on his play that year he may have been out of the NFL right away........he stunk with the Rams. But he went to CIN as a backup and got a chance to start due to injury. Martz had nothing to do with his career arc.

He played 4 games for STL and did not play well.

Anyway, I think we disagree on a lot and I think your memory is a bit foggy here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
i'll take it like this, every great qb got help from his teammates. let's not kid ourselves here.

And IMO one can make an argument that Warner got a lot less than a lot of QB's elected to the HOF.