Interesting Rams Stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams Offense in the first quarter is ranked #7 in points. Yes, it goes down hill from there finishing 26th overall with 19.0 ppg.

Rams are the 8th most penalized team at 7.5 per game. The most penalized? 1. Denver, 2. New England, and 3. Seattle <--- surprised?

As strong of leg GZ has, our touchback % is only 54%, good for 17th in the NFL. The best? Carolina with a whopping 78% touchback % on kickoffs.

Our defense is ranked 9th in points allowed in the first half at 9.9. The 2nd half? We're ranked 32nd at 16.0.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
"Rams are the 8th most penalized team at 7.5 per game. The most penalized? 1. Denver, 2. New England, and 3. Seattle <--- surprised?"
But, but, but there's a conspiracy isn't there? :cry: :LOL:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Rams are the 8th most penalized team at 7.5 per game. The most penalized? 1. Denver, 2. New England, and 3. Seattle <--- surprised?"
But, but, but there's a conspiracy isn't there? :cry: :LOL:

To clarify, there is a difference between a game changing penalty and a run of the mill penalty. There is also a difference in calling a real penalty and calling made up penalties. Everyone here is happily aware that the Rams penalties are down, but we are all very frustrated with the way refs conveniently make up penalties to kill the Rams momentum, or ignore them in favor of opponents allowing them to score.

RamWoodie

Legend
Say what you want...but the refs helped Dallas beat the Rams on that day! Two penalties that extended Cowboy drives that CLEARLY SHOWED they were NOT!!!!

Ramathon

Rams Offense in the first quarter is ranked #7 in points. Yes, it goes down hill from there finishing 26th overall with 19.0 ppg.

Rams are the 8th most penalized team at 7.5 per game. The most penalized? 1. Denver, 2. New England, and 3. Seattle <--- surprised?

As strong of leg GZ has, our touchback % is only 54%, good for 17th in the NFL. The best? Carolina with a whopping 78% touchback % on kickoffs.

Our defense is ranked 9th in points allowed in the first half at 9.9. The 2nd half? We're ranked 32nd at 16.0.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat

IMO, the touchback stat is only meaningful if we also look at the kickoffs that are returned and the starting position for the opposition on those.

I continue to be surprised at the number of kickoffs that are returned since the point of the kick was moved up 5 yds a few yr ago. It seems to me there are a LOT more returns that start inside the 20 than was the case prior to that change. Who cares about this % if your opposition is starting inside the 20 frequently. It's a win, albeit a small one, any time that happens.

Too lazy to look up the stats myself, but I don't think my perception is wrong on this one.

Ramathon

Say what you want...but the refs helped Dallas beat the Rams on that day! Two penalties that extended Cowboy drives that CLEARLY SHOWED they were NOT!!!!

And I'm sure the Whiners' fans are still whining about calls in the Rams' favor in that last game.

Do the refs screw up...and royally sometimes. No question about it. But it's time for Rams fans to get over this 'the fix is in' theory. It's silly. I'd bet we could visit a fan forum for every team in the league and find the exact same complaints. Put it to bed already.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome saving the day:
To clarify, there is a difference between a game changing penalty and a run of the mill penalty. There is also a difference in calling a real penalty and calling made up penalties. Everyone here is happily aware that the Rams penalties are down, but we are all very frustrated with the way refs conveniently make up penalties to kill the Rams momentum, or ignore them in favor of opponents allowing them to score.
Thank Buddha the conspiracy is alive and well because otherwise we'd lose a big portion of our posts.
upload_2014-11-30_8-52-50.jpeg
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
upload_2014-11-30_8-55-52.jpeg
images
upload_2014-11-30_8-58-6.jpeg

Sorry, you'll have to handle the ref conspiracy because I'm too busy with the REAL ones. :eek:

RamWoodie

Legend
And I'm sure the Whiners' fans are still whining about calls in the Rams' favor in that last game.

Do the refs screw up...and royally sometimes. No question about it. But it's time for Rams fans to get over this 'the fix is in' theory. It's silly. I'd bet we could visit a fan forum for every team in the league and find the exact same complaints. Put it to bed already.
I always preface my remarks to the end that I'm not alleging a fix by the refs. My issue is if you have the ability to correct a bad penalty...DO THAT!!!!

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Dallas was handed that game by the refs the bad calls were so obvious.

Simba

Rookie
I would like to know how many Defensive Pass Interferences, Offensive Pass Interferences and holdings the refs called against us and the other teams.These calls are, discretionary power (I hope this is the right word).I don't want to account Off side, Delay or Encroachment.After this I can trust on these numbers.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Now in saying that, are you saying that the bad calls are random and thus even out?

Because if so... they don't.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The most penalized? 1. Denver, 2. New England, and 3. Seattle <--- surprised?

I have a hard time with the conspiracy theory, too, but how many key plays and called back TD's did not go the Ram's way? Several. And how many of those were bad calls? Most

I think @CGI_Ram said in a different thread that we should be able to get better refs because of what they're paid... Agree!
No conspiracy - just horrible, obtrusive, bull shit refereeing

Except SB36 - total conspiracy!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long believes he has turned the corner in his recovery from the ankle surgery that landed him on the injured reserve list with the designation to return, and was officially activated from IR on Saturday afternoon, clearing the path for him to play Sunday against Oakland.

[+] Enlarge
Jeff Curry/USA TODAY SportsChris Long, sidelined since injuring his ankle in the St. Louis Rams' season opener, expects to play Sunday.

Not a stat, but interesting...Expected, but still glad to see that it happened...

Long noted that had it been up to him he would have played last week against the San Diego Chargers.

"I'm at the corner," Long said. "I wanted to play Sunday. The head man [coach Jeff Fisher], he knows what he's doing and he cares about his players. He wants to make sure you are able to help the team and you're 100 percent. That's important. We all appreciate his perspective, and I trust him a great deal, so if he thinks I'm ready to roll, I'm ready to roll. If he doesn't think so, then I'm not."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So then where do we rank in penalty yardage? Or penalties in the 4th quarter? That's the more important stat.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^, IMHO, is meaningless, some time a team intends to try and trap an opponent between as far back in their half of the field as possible, and not let them start at the 20! (y)

I'll just refer you back to #4, and Elemgrovegnom's op on this subject!!:D

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

It doesn't help when we get dumb penalties enforced on the kickoff like choreographed dances.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
However, I betcha we're 1st in penalties on big offensive plays and TD's

Ramathon

Now in saying that, are you saying that the bad calls are random and thus even out?

Because if so... they don't.

Yes, I think they are random. Do they even out? Dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't in any single season. But that doesn't mean they aren't random.

Of course, it also depends on how one defines a 'bad call' also.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yes, I think they are random. Do they even out? Dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't in any single season. But that doesn't mean they aren't random.

Of course, it also depends on how one defines a 'bad call' also.
Well, I disagree. Vehemently. Even if you just look at bad calls for and bad calls against the Rams (and yes, I do identify bad calls for them as well), it doesn't even come close to balancing out.