Interesting draft stat I saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My thoughts?.......given our win loss records...

1.) This chart does not mean the Rams have drafted well. What it does mean is that they hang on to their picks longer than most.
2.) If this chart did mean the Rams have drafted well, it would mean that coaching and coordinating were horrendous.
3.) With no other evidence, on the face of it, this chart means nothing other than number 1.) of this paragraph.

1) Not really, that's speculation without looking at the picks and the players that we know.

2) Hasn't that been patently obvious especially on the offensive side of the ball?

3) We have the evidence in front of us with the roster we've watched play all these years. This chart more likely means #2 than #1. This is my opinion thought just like your 3 statements are your opinion so who knows.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's funny the first thing that popped into my mind when looking over these numbers hasn't been brought up by anybody. It was touched on by Mojo but nobody else thought about it. The draft is a crap shoot more than anybody is willing to admit. We as fans like to look at our lack of win-loss success and bemoan our bad drafting and bad free agent signings. We like to complain about our coaching. What we don't realize and fail to analyze is we aren't alone. Again the draft is a crap shoot. I looked at a playoff team for the first couple years of this chart. This team had a roster turnover of 10 players a year, and it's a somewhat regular playoff team. Yet turning over 10 roster spots a year they had one of the lowest draft pick retention spot, incidentally they had more UDFA retained in 2011 and 2012 than they did draft picks.

The success rate of draft picks, even 1st round picks high or low 1st round picks is a lot lower than we fans are willing to acknowledge especially when we see our 1st round picks maybe not live up to our personal expectations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The success rate of draft picks, even 1st round picks high or low 1st round picks is a lot lower than we fans are willing to acknowledge especially when we see our 1st round picks maybe not live up to our personal expectations.

It goes deeper than that, too. All the way down to "what do you define as hitting on a pick?"

Good example is GRob. If you draft a guy at 2 overall you want an impact player, but he's no Orlando Pace who is an example of hitting on a pick. But does a guy have to be a HoF to be a hit? I'd say above average starter at the least, so clearly at this point they busted on him.

Another is Tavon. People will argue both ways. But they moved up to get him, and added him to an offense that was never a wide open passing type style that would have fit him. Would he have excelled with New Orleans? Maybe, but we don't know. For the Rams was he a hit? I'd say no, but somehow Fish convinced the Rams to pay him. Strangest $#!t I've ever seen tbh, them paying him that contract holy F you'd think they'd learn after Foles.

Goes back to what I keep saying: difference makers are what it's all about. Guys who start for a few years then slide out of the league are a dime a dozen. A first round pick must give you return, and picks in general cannot be long term projects unless they're late round guys who cut their teeth on teams at the least while they're learning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I saw this posted on reddit and thought it interesting. We see so much smack talked about Fisher and Snead for their draft picks that I really was intrigued by this and wanted to post it because I know it'll spark some discussion.

View: https://twitter.com/MrJeffHunter/status/867468692585664513

According to his stats only 6 teams have retained a higher percentage of draft picks from 2011 through 2016. We also hear so much about how the Patriot's and Packers draft so well and we should be more like them. Yeah the Patriots are almost 7% points behind us the Packers are also behind us.

Thoughts?

The Pats, it seems to me, are always turning over there Roster! But as far as the Rams are concerned, with a Young, Newer Roster, I it's not clear to me that this Chart shows / or proves anything!:dizzy:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harder for draft picks to make good teams.
Or if a team is retaining sub par players, is that a god thing or bad?