Interesting draft stat I saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I saw this posted on reddit and thought it interesting. We see so much smack talked about Fisher and Snead for their draft picks that I really was intrigued by this and wanted to post it because I know it'll spark some discussion.

View: https://twitter.com/MrJeffHunter/status/867468692585664513

According to his stats only 6 teams have retained a higher percentage of draft picks from 2011 through 2016. We also hear so much about how the Patriot's and Packers draft so well and we should be more like them. Yeah the Patriots are almost 7% points behind us the Packers are also behind us.

Thoughts?

tempests

Hall of Fame
Not sure I see any meaningful trends or correlations there. This is too broad in my opinion. I would like to see it broken down by round and other factors (% of starters, how many Pro Bowlers, etc).

For sure Jacksonville and Cleveland putting up 0s from 2011-13 explains the state of their franchises today. And the Raiders(2012-13) and Giants(2011-12) seemed to have recovered from some weaker drafts in the recent past.

Snead and Fisher's fatal draft flaw was struggling to identify and develop offensive talent. Even if guys like Brian Quick made their draft retention rate look good, I don't think my opinion will change on that score.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I believe better teams have to cut more players. Having said that even with the benefit of hindsight for the most part I like Snead's drafts.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
My only issue with this is just because a player is retained doesn't mean he's great, it could be 7 draft picks that have stuck around because of good ST play and are decent rotational players, the magnitude of the draft picks selected is he key IMO. This is really interesting though

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Retention is a bad metric for drafts. What matters is difference makers, guys who are perennial plus starter types. Not only Pro Bowl type players, but those who have higher end production year to year. That's the difference between the haves and have nots in this league.

BeefJurky

Rookie
Aside from a few whiffs, I've never thought Rams drafting was very poor at all.

G-Rob is busting on his own accord, many had him projected that high for his potential.

Tavon was a reach but he isn't that bad of a pick especially with guys like Treadwell and Agholor running around, setting the bust bar high. Also the biggest problem with Tavon was the second contract we offered him, not him being drafted in the first place.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Ram's have talent on the team, and it was devoid of talent after the Spag's years. Young guys had to start, but would they have started or be team members as much on an already good team? Still, the information is interesting.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I've always felt that the coaching was our biggest flaw and not the players picked necessarily.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
None of us know how much Fish was involved with building the roster. We can all see roll over Titan players, and player loyalty. However how much was Fish involved with this roster? Maybe he should be seeking a GM job...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I saw this posted on reddit and thought it interesting. We see so much smack talked about Fisher and Snead for their draft picks that I really was intrigued by this and wanted to post it because I know it'll spark some discussion.

According to his stats only 6 teams have retained a higher percentage of draft picks from 2011 through 2016. We also hear so much about how the Patriot's and Packers draft so well and we should be more like them. Yeah the Patriots are almost 7% points behind us the Packers are also behind us.

Thoughts?

My thoughts?.......given our win loss records...

1.) This chart does not mean the Rams have drafted well. What it does mean is that they hang on to their picks longer than most.
2.) If this chart did mean the Rams have drafted well, it would mean that coaching and coordinating were horrendous.
3.) With no other evidence, on the face of it, this chart means nothing other than number 1.) of this paragraph.

tempests

Hall of Fame
However how much was Fish involved with this roster? Maybe he should be seeking a GM job...

Based on how he built the Rams? I don't think so.

Fish said it himself on his way out the door. He wasn't sitting in the film room grinding tape all day, or stacking draft boards. That was the personnel department.

fearsomefour

Legend

Thoughts?

Need I would say.
The Rams had plenty of picks but also had glaring needs every year during those drafts.

Ram65

Legend
Retain draft picks that replace bad draft picks (bad players) could mean they are marginally better. Free agency also dilutes good draft picks. So many factors top consider. Difference makers and play makers add more value than a backup OG or 6th WR. Let's see what the 2015 draft class does this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Thoughts?

My thoughts are what i've been posting and saying here for awhile. The Rams have drafted well, when you take a step back and do some research and look at the full canvas of other teams...instead of being myopic and pointing at Quick, GRob, Pead etc and declaring Snead sucks.

Seattle had one brilliant draft in 2012, the Packers haven't drafted particularly well, the Ravens either. These are supposed the be the elite GM's of the league. Could the Rams have drafted better? Damn right but so could a couple dozen of the other teams in the NFL.

IMO the Rams have drafted better than most. Shit...look at our own division for starters.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Look at the Colts, Browns and Bills total player turnover. How many coaching changes there combined in the last 5-6 years? Yuck.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
None of us know how much Fish was involved with building the roster. We can all see roll over Titan players, and player loyalty. However how much was Fish involved with this roster? Maybe he should be seeking a GM job...
Fisher from his mouth and from Demoff's own words had total roster control that was established right after he was hired.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My only issue with this is just because a player is retained doesn't mean he's great, it could be 7 draft picks that have stuck around because of good ST play and are decent rotational players, the magnitude of the draft picks selected is he key IMO. This is really interesting though
It could mean that but can you name 7 draft picks that stuck with the Rams only for ST purposes? You know their players and know that this isn't the case here.