Interesting....Cam Newton Scouting report from 2011 I found.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/29/cam-newton-scouting-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... ing-report</a>

Posted March 29, 2011 @ 2:39 p.m. ET
By Nolan Nawrocki

QB-TE-ATH Cam Newton, #2 (Junior)
Auburn PFW Grade: 5.85
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 248 | Sp: 4.58 | Arm: 33 3/4 | Hand: 9 7/8

Notes: Also played basketball as a Georgia prep. Began his collegiate career at Florida, where he signed on to play for then-head coach Urban Meyer and the Gators. Appeared in five games as a true freshman in 2007, completing 5-of-10 pass attempts (50 percent) for 40 yards with zero touchdowns and zero interceptions. Also rushed 16 times for 103 yards (6.4-yard average) and three touchdowns. Was slowed by an ankle injury in '08 — appeared in one contest, but ultimately redshirted (also sustained a minor neck injury in an early November car accident). Was arrested in late November and charged with felony charges of burglary, larceny and intimidating a witness, informant or victim after stealing a laptop computer from a student's dorm room and throwing it out the window when police arrived at Newton's for questioning. Charges were dropped upon his completion of a pretrial diversion program. Reportedly transferred rather than face possible expulsion stemming from three incidents of academic cheating, including two as a sophomore when he put his name on someone else's paper and purchased a paper online, attempting to pass it off as his own work. Landed at Blinn College (Texas) and won the NJCAA national championship in '09 — totaled 204-336-2,833-22-5 (60.1) passing and 108-655-16 (6.1) rushing in 12 games. Had a historic season for the national champion Tigers in '10 — 14-game starter was honored with the Heisman Trophy and the Maxwell, Walter Camp and Davey O'Brien Awards after leading the SEC in rushing and total offense by totaling 185-280-2,854-30-7 (66.1) through the air and 264-1,473-20 (5.6) on the ground. Also caught two passes for 42 yards (21.0) and a touchdown. Hurt his back in the BCS championship game. Was declared ineligible for a day leading up to the SEC title game — Newton's father, Cecil, allegedly enlisted an agent "runner" to initiate a pay-for-play bidding war for Cam's commitment. It was reported that Cam's desire was to play for Mississippi State, but he allegedly succumbed to his father's decision (Auburn) based on a six-figure payment. Was ultimately reinstated after the NCAA did not find sufficient evidence to prove Cam or Auburn officials were complicit in Cecil's actions. Had a 25-1 career starting record (including junior college).

Positives: Very well-built with big deltoids and a strapping physique. Excellent arm strength — can make difficult throws off-balance while on the move and air out the deep ball, hitting receivers in stride 50 yards downfield. Throws with velocity. Composed in pressure situations and found ways to come through in the clutch. Big, strong, physical runner. Pounds defenders and can push a pile — almost always falls forward. Smooth-striding, fluid-moving athlete. Highly competitive and productive against top Southeastern Conference competition — rose to the occasion against Alabama and Oregon on the biggest of stages. Very savvy — confident, charming and charismatic and can light up a room. Highly competitive and plays with passion.

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Summary: An extremely talented, dual-threat QB who carried Auburn to a national title, Newton has the arm and athletic talent desired in a rollout, play-action, bootleg vertical passing game and would fit ideally into an offense such as that of the Redskins or Raiders. However, he always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC. Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

What do you think?

jjab360

Legend
Re: Interesting....Cam Newton Scouting report from 2011 I fo

I think the guy who wrote that clearly had an agenda, and I thought so the first time I read it before the 2011 draft. Half of that scouting report had nothing to do with football, and it was coming from a guy who had never even met Newton or been in a locker room with him before.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

I believe the report and have always thought Cam to be a disingenuous piece of work. Although, I will go on record to say that I really like the NFL TV commercial Cam did with that little kid who slams him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think that scouting report wasn't too far off in regards to Newton being able to win a locker room.

This is a fresh article from last Thursday:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/30/4076310/cam-newton-id-like-to-be-a-captain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... ptain.html</a>

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton indicated this week he wants to be a team captain someday.

But with a couple of the cornerstones of the franchise seemingly entrenched as offensive captains, it could be a while before Newton gets to wear a “C” on his jersey.

Receiver Steve Smith and left tackle Jordan Gross, the team’s longest-tenured players, have been selected the offensive captains the past several seasons, in voting by their teammates.

“You’ve got to look at the team as a whole. I just think there’s guys who have been with the organization a lot longer that have been in that role for a long time,” veteran center Ryan Kalil said Thursday. “So it’s hard. There’s only two of them. I would say there’s a couple other guys that would be in that mix.

“But it’ll be a while before it transitions to somebody else.”

In response to a reporter’s question Wednesday, Newton said he would like to be a captain and understands the responsibility that comes with it.

“I recognize – and everyone knows around the league – when you’re a team captain that’s not just a patch on the jersey. You’re holding yourself to a higher standard with being accountable,” Newton said. “I’m going about it each and every day and trying to make that happen.”

Newton has been criticized by fans, media and even teammates for his on-field demeanor at times during his first two seasons. But Panthers coach Ron Rivera, who referred to Newton as “Mr. Mopeyhead” during Newton’s rookie year, said he’s seen Newton take on more of a leadership role of late.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Newton will be a captain when the Panthers vote on their 2013 choices in September after the opening-week, 53-man roster is set. Since moving to permanent, season-long captains in 2002 – after using different captains each week under former coach George Seifert – the Panthers have never had more than two captains on offense, defense or special teams.

In 10 of the 11 seasons since 2002, the Panthers have had five captains – two on offense, two on defense and one on special teams. Carolina employed two special teams captains in 2011 – kicker John Kasay and safety Charles Godfrey.

Smith has been a captain for four seasons – 2007 and every year since 2010. Gross has been captain every year since 2009, and replaced quarterback Jake Delhomme as an offensive captain in 2007 after Delhomme was injured.

“I never came in saying I’m going to be a captain,” Gross said Thursday. “You look who it’s been and it’s usually… like Pep (Julius Peppers) was a captain and he’s not a vocal guy. But he’s somebody that I loved looking at during games because it made me feel better.”

After leading the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2003 during his first year in Charlotte, Delhomme was a captain for his final six seasons with Carolina.

Besides Gross and Smith, the Panthers’ other captains last season were special teams captain Jordan Senn, linebackers Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, and defensive end Charles Johnson, who replaced the injured Beason.

Gross said the qualifications for being a captain are varied and hard to define.

“It’s not always the loudest guy that’s doing the most you can see from the stands,” Gross said. “Just a consistent person that guys rely on.”

Like Newton, Kalil said he also would like to be a captain, but knows he might have to wait.

“I think Steve is somebody, Jordan’s somebody, they’ve been here a long time and are very well respected, not only in the community and the organization, but with teammates, as well,” Kalil said. “So I don’t think it’s just a matter of years and age. But the longer you’ve been here, the more time you’ve had to prove that role and earn that right.”

But there could soon be a vacancy or two among the offensive captains. In restructuring his contract this offseason, Gross, 32, agreed to a deal that voids after this season, essentially making it a 1-year deal.

When Smith, 34, re-signed a contract extension last year, he indicated he only planned to play a few more seasons.

But Gross said there are only so many captain spots to go around.

“When the team says you’re one of the guys that we can count on the most, that’s when it will happen. And that may be when guys roll off, too,” Gross said. “So if (Newton) is not a captain, I don’t think it should be a huge story. I mean Kalil could be a captain. DeAngelo (Williams) could be a captain. Greg Olsen could be a great captain. But you kind of get tenured sometimes.”

Newton says he understands he has something to prove.

“Team captain is solely based off of your peers,” he said. “I’m going about it each and every day, trying to do my part to prove not only to my team, but first myself, that’s a big responsibility on the field and off the field.”

Read more here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/30/4076310/cam-newton-id-like-to-be-a-captain.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... rylink=cpy</a>

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

I would say that's probably spot on.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Username said:
Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Agreed. The article above about him "wanting" to be a captain did nithing to change my perception.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

nighttrain

Legend

Faceplant said:
Username said:

Agreed. The article above about him "wanting" to be a captain did nithing to change my perception.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
yup, it's when others WANT YOU, then you are a captain
train

bluecoconuts

Legend

I've never been high on him... He got in trouble for stealing, the rumors of him being paid to play (which I still agree) and I've never really jumped on the hype for him.... I think he acts like a selfish baby... He hides when he's playing like shit, and when he makes a good play it's all about him... Doing the superman celebration to me says a lot... I get celebrating and doing a dance, whatever, but when do try to infer that you're superhuman it just seems very self centered to me. Plus he did it when his team was down by like 20 points, that's just stupid.

Not a fan at all, we better not let him beat us.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

bluecoconuts said:
I've never been high on him... He got in trouble for stealing, the rumors of him being paid to play (which I still agree) and I've never really jumped on the hype for him.... I think he acts like a selfish baby... He hides when he's playing like shyte, and when he makes a good play it's all about him... Doing the superman celebration to me says a lot... I get celebrating and doing a dance, whatever, but when do try to infer that you're superhuman it just seems very self centered to me. Plus he did it when his team was down by like 20 points, that's just stupid.

Not a fan at all, we better not let him beat us.

This and a bag of chips.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2