Interesting…25 yrs since no qb 1st round pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was shocked when I read the title. A little more shocked when I read good ol‘ Tony Banks was the first qb taken at number 42.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...arterback-went-round-1-why-never-happen-again

Here is the Rams 96 draft class…ouch but a few did make an NFL difference.

CC124980-03E2-4B6B-99B9-13F4668D85A5.jpeg

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, that was a brutal draft class, especially with all those high picks. I liked Conwell, and Kennison and Miller had their moments, but ... Yuck.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I remember being excited about Lawrence Phillips, he was a beast in college. Not so much in the NFL. Tony Banks couldn't think fast enough to know where to throw, he was painful to watch. As mentioned above a few picks did pan out that year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If I remember correctly, Eddie George was drafted a couple picks after Phillips; and Marvin Harrison went a few picks after Kennison.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That draft demonstrated how bad our front office was. All time Hall of Shame bad. Phillips was a piece of shit of a human being that should have gone undrafted, certainly not touched until very late rounds. Banks was lazy and was never going to do the work to be a signal caller at this level. Kennison was a complete focus of athlete over receiver, the type of mistake that McVay would never make in a draft.

And I remember looking at that haul and trying to convince myself we'd come out ok. Thank you Dick Vermiel for swooping in and unfucking this organization even if it was just briefly. :trophy:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
If I remember correctly, Eddie George was drafted a couple picks after Phillips; and Marvin Harrison went a few picks after Kennison.
Yeah, Phillips was #6, George was #14. We also took Kennison ONE PICK ahead of HOF Harrison, and they just so happen to play the same position too, so that is a titanic error. Another all timer went 7 picks after Kennison, and nobody named Ray Lewis. Another decent player at WR went even later, a guy named Terrell Owens. Ahhh what could have been....

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
In one of his best games Banks did lead the Rams to a record-tying 59 points vs the Falcons in 1996 (t-1976).

His lowest moments were the many times he couldn't handle the center snap and then fumbled it away.

Not one of the Rams better drafts but not among the worst (1982, 1984).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eight picks after actually. Harrison was the pick after.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
"We will rally around Tony Banks. And we will lose a lot of football games"

Maybe, I'm not quite remembering that correctly.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ray Lewis was available too! Can you imagine! Wow!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Tony Banks collected a super bowl ring, although as a back up QB.