Instant Impact Offensive Prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Since we're eliminated from the playoffs for all intents and purposes, here's a quick look at the offensive players that I think can help the team quickly, i.e. not needing 3 years of breast feeding before they can actually make an impact on gameday. Also, this list is prioritized by impact to the Rams and is intended for a balanced type offensive approach with the assumption that Fisher and Snead return next year:

1. WR Boyd. He's usually listed in round 2 due to his non-elite athleticism, but he gets open consistently through crisp route running and what I particularly like about him is teams key on him due to lack of other weapons in the passing game and he still gets it done. Had instant impact right out the gate as a freshman, and it's continued through... Consistent production weapon in the passing game. Good size at 6-2. This guy will be an impact player his rookie season in the NFL regardless of how low NFL teams draft him due to over-nuking and analysis. My guess is he goes late round 1 to early round 2 to some very lucky team.

2. TE Henry. Another guy I see mostly in round 2 projections who I think is being undervalued. He is big, very smooth in his routes, and has the kind of hands that will have Rams fans drooling after years of watching Cook mishandle the ball. Not a slouch in blocking, willing to do the dirty work on the line. Just won the Mackey, and should be the top TE off the board. If we get this guy in round 2 I would do effin backflips. I'm serious, he's that good.

3. TE Williams. Very good chain mover in the passing game. Not as fluid as Henry but he's a very big target at 6'6" who will beat LBs and can come down with contested catches. Very good hands. I see him listed around rounds 4-5 it seems, and yeah it's early, but he's gonna carry a lot of value for teams that, like the Rams, have been abused by poor play at the position. Looks WR-like and plays like a WR to my eye, and is going to move chains in the NFL; he will be a mid-round steal for some team.

4. C Boehm. 51 consecutive starts for Mizzou. I'm sure the lot of you can say plenty about him. But IMO this team could really use a guy like him, who not only has a propensity for staying healthy but also the power at center to move dudes off the ball. I don't care that he looks like a refrigerator or that he's gonna set a new high for the 40 at the combine. Experienced, powerful center? Uh, yeah, draft him please. As to his position, centers usually last into mid-rounds so might have a shot at him there.

5. OG Whitehair. Polished OL who scooped 4 straight years of All Big 12, lots of experience and it doesn't hurt that he played the last two years at LT. Lacks length you want for OT but again this is a versatile and experienced player that immediately starts for the Rams at OG. Not sure where he's gonna go, probably first OG off the board so maybe late round 1 to early round 2.

6. OG Drango. Huge OL. Plays LT for Baylor but projected to OG in the NFL. Gonna be knocked and nuked through the draft process for his back surgery he had a couple years back I'm sure, but the guy is money. Another polished, experienced lineman who could step right in to the Rams line as a starter if needed. 3rd straight year All Big 12 and known for consistent play and not taking snaps off. Most likely he'll be off the board in round 2.

Notably missing:

WR Treadwell. He's the guy everyone loves due to his size and ability and with good reason, but that read-option play action heavy offense might not have him positioned to be an instant impact guy. Think he needs a season to be eased into a real NFL offense. Will go first round, potentially quite high depending on his 40 time of course. Oh and there will probably be a handful of others listed above Boyd along with Treadwell but again for one reason or another I am iffy on calling any of them instant impact guys for this offense.

OT position. The guys I've seen listed up high are iffy on experience and technique. Guys like Tunsil and Stanley have the upside you want to see but probably gonna need some serious time. Decker has a lot of the same issues Havenstein had, so even though I do like him he's not gonna be a quick study unless it's at RT. Conklin might end up being the best of the group even though the others will go ahead of him due to athleticism but really none of these guys are going to help us soon where we need it at LT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Michael Thomas, Josh Doctson, and Demarcus Robinson

Doctson isn't a guy I'd consider NFL ready. And Robinson definitely isn't. Troublemaker that's soft as a pillow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since we're eliminated from the playoffs for all intents and purposes, here's a quick look at the offensive players that I think can help the team quickly, i.e. not needing 3 years of breast feeding before they can actually make an impact on gameday. Also, this list is prioritized by impact to the Rams and is intended for a balanced type offensive approach with the assumption that Fisher and Snead return next year:

1. WR Boyd. He's usually listed in round 2 due to his non-elite athleticism, but he gets open consistently through crisp route running and what I particularly like about him is teams key on him due to lack of other weapons in the passing game and he still gets it done. Had instant impact right out the gate as a freshman, and it's continued through... Consistent production weapon in the passing game. Good size at 6-2. This guy will be an impact player his rookie season in the NFL regardless of how low NFL teams draft him due to over-nuking and analysis. My guess is he goes late round 1 to early round 2 to some very lucky team.

2. TE Henry. Another guy I see mostly in round 2 projections who I think is being undervalued. He is big, very smooth in his routes, and has the kind of hands that will have Rams fans drooling after years of watching Cook mishandle the ball. Not a slouch in blocking, willing to do the dirty work on the line. Just won the Mackey, and should be the top TE off the board. If we get this guy in round 2 I would do effin backflips. I'm serious, he's that good.

3. TE Williams. Very good chain mover in the passing game. Not as fluid as Henry but he's a very big target at 6'6" who will beat LBs and can come down with contested catches. Very good hands. I see him listed around rounds 4-5 it seems, and yeah it's early, but he's gonna carry a lot of value for teams that, like the Rams, have been abused by poor play at the position. Looks WR-like and plays like a WR to my eye, and is going to move chains in the NFL; he will be a mid-round steal for some team.

4. C Boehm. 51 consecutive starts for Mizzou. I'm sure the lot of you can say plenty about him. But IMO this team could really use a guy like him, who not only has a propensity for staying healthy but also the power at center to move dudes off the ball. I don't care that he looks like a refrigerator or that he's gonna set a new high for the 40 at the combine. Experienced, powerful center? Uh, yeah, draft him please. As to his position, centers usually last into mid-rounds so might have a shot at him there.

5. OG Whitehair. Polished OL who scooped 4 straight years of All Big 12, lots of experience and it doesn't hurt that he played the last two years at LT. Lacks length you want for OT but again this is a versatile and experienced player that immediately starts for the Rams at OG. Not sure where he's gonna go, probably first OG off the board so maybe late round 1 to early round 2.

6. OG Drango. Huge OL. Plays LT for Baylor but projected to OG in the NFL. Gonna be knocked and nuked through the draft process for his back surgery he had a couple years back I'm sure, but the guy is money. Another polished, experienced lineman who could step right in to the Rams line as a starter if needed. 3rd straight year All Big 12 and known for consistent play and not taking snaps off. Most likely he'll be off the board in round 2.

Notably missing:

WR Treadwell. He's the guy everyone loves due to his size and ability and with good reason, but that read-option play action heavy offense might not have him positioned to be an instant impact guy. Think he needs a season to be eased into a real NFL offense. Will go first round, potentially quite high depending on his 40 time of course. Oh and there will probably be a handful of others listed above Boyd along with Treadwell but again for one reason or another I am iffy on calling any of them instant impact guys for this offense.

OT position. The guys I've seen listed up high are iffy on experience and technique. Guys like Tunsil and Stanley have the upside you want to see but probably gonna need some serious time. Decker has a lot of the same issues Havenstein had, so even though I do like him he's not gonna be a quick study unless it's at RT. Conklin might end up being the best of the group even though the others will go ahead of him due to athleticism but really none of these guys are going to help us soon where we need it at LT.

We're not moving Greg Robinson from LT next year. It's just not happening.(excepting extraordinary circumstances)

But Conklin is a very NFL ready guy. Should be able to contribute in a positive way to a team in 2016 at either OG or OT spots.

TEs typically struggle to contribute as rookies.

I'd add Mike Matthews and Nick Martin to this list as Centers.

I'd add Nelson Spruce as a WR.(slot or Z) I also wouldn't be surprised if Sterling Shepard has an impressive rookie year as a slot WR at the NFL level.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not taking a TE in the 2nd round with that type of ability....You have to have Gronk-like measurables....Not sure there is a sure-fire 1st round wr talent after Treadwell.....Need to see combine numbers.... I'm shallow like that. Hand size, bench, and interview....especially 40 time.
Don't need a OT....now a center....if we go center, get the biggest, roughest, and smartest in the bunch....early as hell.

nighttrain

Legend
i'm totally in on getting center that can actually play/man the position,early as possible
train

Athos

Legend
I'm going to start looking more in depth at WRs both early and late rounds soon.

I don't wanna brag...but shiiiit, I do know my WRs.

Allen Robinson I mocked to us in the 2nd is tearing it up. Leading the NFL in 20+ yard catches by 5 over Antonio Brown. 13 TDs...

Hopkins with 1300+ yards and 10 TDs.

Watkins has 9 TDs and over 800 yards despite only 10 healthy games.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gurley made an almost instant impact, and more recently a few rookie WR's each season have been making instant impacts for other teams, but it's hard to actually count on an 'instant impact' from a rookie unless you draft him fairly high or are extremely lucky. Obviously there are exceptions, but of all the offensive positions mentioned by the OP, how many rookies by percentage really offer 'instant impact' ? Perhaps our definition of instant impact is different. For a team like the Rams, I would hope that we can do well enough in the draft to pick 4 new starters from the first 3 rounds, as well as build solid depth in the later rounds. I wouldn't expect the 4 to necessarily start on day 1, although by mid-season there would be that expectation. Even many highly drafted rookies require some form of development and are cast early into their role due to draft status and a current lack of roster talent. Expectations, of course, are deservedly higher when you are drafted high.
While I certainly appreciate and condone the building thru the draft method, Fisher hasn't been particularly successful during his first 4 years of his 5 year contract, although the many injuries have made his tenure difficult, eventually payment comes due. I'd rather hope that this next season, being Fisher may want an NFL job past 2016, perhaps it's time to look towards free agency for a few young "impact' free agent veterans working on their 2'nd contracts. The Rams are in good CAP shape, and we can make that even better by discarding some of the older, higher paid players who have proven to be beyond their 'impact' years. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm going to start looking more in depth at WRs both early and late rounds soon.

Allen Robinson I mocked to us in the 2nd is tearing it up. Leading the NFL in 20+ yard catches by 5 over Antonio Brown. 13 TDs...

I said that Allen Robinson was a top half of the first round receiver but most insisted he was a second or third rounder. He carried the PSU offense. That is tough for a receiver to do. He was so clutch.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I said that Allen Robinson was a top half of the first round receiver but most insisted he was a second or third rounder. He carried the PSU offense. That is tough for a receiver to do. He was so clutch.? Watkins and Hopkins were no brainers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
more recently a few rookie WR's each season have been making instant impacts for other teams
Throughout the history of the NFL, there has always been a wr or 2 that have come into the league and looked like instant stars....the last Ram wr like this was Torry...I thought Az-Hakim would be a future star.....But look over the league, there are many examples of wrs that perform at an extremely high level very early in their careers.......
Great post overall....