Instant analysis of Rams' commanding 28-12 win over Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
It's very evident that McVay is transitioning to more 2 WR 2 TE sets and I really like what that does with this offense. He's also doing a pretty even split with the 2nd TE and Kupp/Cooks Mundt has 50 snaps the WR's had 47. There's been speculation and it may come down to the Rams biting the little cap bullet and dumping Cooks in the off season. Woods Kupp Higbeast and Everett is some nice weapons to have on the field. There isn't a real field stretcher but every one of those is capable to very good after the catch and most importantly Goff seems to trust them all.

And for how few snaps he had I thought Ebukam made a lot of plays also Howard gets more snaps and he made some big plays too. I think they're grooming him to take over for Littleton next year.

The rotation from the front 3 in hindsight is insane considering how much they dominated the Squawks line.

Yep! Cooks is a goner, no doubt in my mind. You can find a straight line burner in the draft. They need to lock up Reynolds now, he'll come pretty cheap. They can deal with Kupp's deal when the time comes.

I think moving forward, you can going to see just what you said - Woods/Kupp-Reynolds/Everett/Higbee. Add Gurley in as a receiving threat, and that is going to be deadly.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • The pass rush was relentless, sacking Wilson five times. Those were divided up with Aaron Donald and Dante Fowler Jr. recording 1.5 each, and Samson Ebukam sacking Wilson twice. They were all over the quarterback throughout the game.

Donald really does change games by himself sometimes. It's an awesome thing to watch as plays unfold and he wrecks them.

One thing that didn't get mentioned was the 11 QB hits the DL put on Wilson.

16 times they got there. Counting the sacks he dropped back to pass 41 times and got hit on essentially 40% of the time.

Great game by the front 7!

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Yep! Cooks is a goner, no doubt in my mind. You can find a straight line burner in the draft. They need to lock up Reynolds now, he'll come pretty cheap. They can deal with Kupp's deal when the time comes.

I think moving forward, you can going to see just what you said - Woods/Kupp-Reynolds/Everett/Higbee. Add Gurley in as a receiving threat, and that is going to be deadly.
Can't afford to cut Cooks in 2020. McVay needs to find a way to get him more involved in the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I would like to see with Cooks is accountability. That means him losing his job to JRey. Going back to what I have been talking about all season, the malaise you can get from non-performers keeping their jobs is real.

I have enormous respect for Cooks btw. And I think he has a lot of pride and will respond to his poor play that goes back to the Super Bowl but it is crucial that nobody is above the standard.

Sit him.

Ram65

Legend
There's been speculation and it may come down to the Rams biting the little cap bullet and dumping Cooks in the off season.

That would be a lot of cap space. I think they have to wait till 2021 or 2022 to have it make sense. I'm not counting Cooks out just yet. He missed some time and of course the concussion (s). Reynolds looked good running and blocking but, did catch anything IIRC. It will be interesting to see if McVay continues with the two TE sets more or not. Nice to see him get back to the basics of power running game.

1575923300030.png

Ram65

Legend
It was good to see the defensive rotations. Wade having more trust in the young players. Last year they did not sub much on the defensive line. Have to keep them fresh. They were outweighed by the Hags offensive line a lot as Simms pointed out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't afford to cut Cooks in 2020. McVay needs to find a way to get him more involved in the offense.

but he has to make the plays. dropped a perfect ball yesterday down the sideline then later rounded his route so badly the safety was at the spot before he could get there and intercepted the ball. mcvay was visibly upset with him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Andrew Whitworth says Rams have turned a corner: 'This is a different team'

usatsi_13756541.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
15 hours ago

No team ever wants to lose 45-6 at home, but maybe that was just the wake-up call the Los Angeles Rams needed. They were embarrassed by the Ravens two weeks ago but ever since then, they’ve been on a roll.
In their last two games, they’ve beaten the Cardinals and Seahawks by a combined score of 62-19 and have seemingly found a rhythm offensively. It’s a big difference from the 11.7 they were averaging in the previous three weeks.

If you ask Andrew Whitworth, the Rams have turned a corner and feel like a different team than they did before. He told that to reporters on Sunday night after the Rams’ 28-12 win over Seattle.

The numbers back up what Whitworth is saying, and it’s why the Rams are 2-0 since that loss to Baltimore. Their win over the Seahawks was particularly impressive, beating a team that had won five in a row and was leading the NFC West.
Now it’s a matter of keeping this up against the Cowboys in Week 15 – another game the Rams essentially have to win in order to keep pace with the Vikings in the wild-card hunt. This team isn’t going to lie down anytime soon, especially not after winning two straight by double-digits.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That would be a lot of cap space. I think they have to wait till 2021 or 2022 to have it make sense. I'm not counting Cooks out just yet. He missed some time and of course the concussion (s). Reynolds looked good running and blocking but, did catch anything IIRC. It will be interesting to see if McVay continues with the two TE sets more or not. Nice to see him get back to the basics of power running game.

View attachment 32573

Thanks for posting this.

And..........yeah they are going to have to work him into the O because cutting him isn't responsible financially.

Personally I'd love to see him line up in the slot and in the backfield too.

Faulk had great success running WR routes out of the backfield. Mebbe try it with Cooks?

Flint

Pro Bowler
Thanks for posting this.

And..........yeah they are going to have to work him into the O because cutting him isn't responsible financially.

Personally I'd love to see him line up in the slot and in the backfield too.

Faulk had great success running WR routes out of the backfield. Mebbe try it with Cooks?
Considering the issues he’s had I don’t think they want to use him in that way, the other 3 wideouts are bigger, more able to break tackles and take hits. It’d be nice to be able to use his speed in other ways but I’m not sure what those are.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View attachment 32573
It's already been gone over many times I'm well aware of the numbers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
............... There's been speculation and it may come down to the Rams biting the little cap bullet and dumping Cooks in the off season. ...........

I can say what is driving that bit of speculation thus far on WR Brandin Cooks is that he is carrying a near $17 million price tag for each of the next four seasons. When you look deep into what he is now bringing in terms of production....31 receptions for 458 yds with a 14.8 yds a catch & only 1 TD?

McVay has two young very good producing TE's & 3 producing WR's (Kupp/ Woods/ Reynolds) where does the $17 million pass catcher fit in to the future @ that huge cap hit for the next 4 yrs?

You might be able to use that Cooks $$$$ to sign Cory Littleton, Greg Zuerlein & Austin Blythe back next season.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can say what is driving that bit of speculation thus far on WR Brandin Cooks is that he is carrying a near $17 million price tag for each of the next four seasons. When you look deep into what he is now bringing in terms of production....31 receptions for 458 yds with a 14.8 yds a catch & only 1 TD?

McVay has two young very good producing TE's & 3 producing WR's (Kupp/ Woods/ Reynolds) where does the $17 million pass catcher fit in to the future @ that huge cap hit for the next 4 yrs?

You might be able to use that Cooks $$$$ to sign Cory Littleton, Greg Zuerlein & Austin Blythe back next season.

I'd prefer to come back to this question at this time next season when we'll be discussing the extensions of Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett. The Rams don't have enough draft picks to start considering replacing Cooks just yet imo, next year the CAP savings will be far greater for him, or better yet, a restructure which allows him to stick around AND save CAP. jmo.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Let's say we go 11-5 and the Vikings go 12-4...what exactly happens there?
We miss the playoffs
The only way me miss playoffs at 11-5 is if Seahawks, Packers, and Vikings all finish 12-4 or better. We own the 11-5 tiebreaker against all 3 teams.

If the Bears beat the Packers week 15 in the morning game, we control our own destiny before we take the field against Dallas.....because the Vikings and Packers play each other the next week...and barring a tie, one of them would drop to 11-5.