Insiders make early 2017 season predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...l-insiders-make-early-2017-season-predictions

Insiders make early 2017 season predictions

Which Year 2 player looks primed for a breakout season?
i

Matt Bowen, NFL writer: Los Angeles Chargers tight end Hunter Henry had eight touchdown catches as a rookie, and he has the trust of quarterback Philip Rivers inside of the 20-yard line (seven red zone touchdowns in 2016). With the size (6-foot-5) to win matchups and the route-running ability to create separation, Henry is in a position to move ahead of veteran Antonio Gates as one of Rivers' top targets.

i

Dan Graziano, NFL Insider: Tampa Bay pass-rusher Noah Spence had 5.5 sacks in a limited role as a rookie, but I expect his playing time -- and his impact -- to increase in 2017. Remember, this was a first-round talent who fell to the second round because of off-field concerns from early in his college career. He adapted well to what coordinator Mike Smith was teaching last year in Tampa Bay and could be part of a real defensive renaissance there.

i

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: Seahawks RB C.J. Prosiseshould be primed for a breakout season in Year 2. He flashed great ability with Seattle as a rookie in 2016 -- 156 yards from scrimmage at New England, for instance -- but injuries kept him off the field. Better luck on the health front could let Prosise shine in a situational role.

ranked fifth in total value among tight ends last season. Not bad for a rookie. Gates is still around, but he'll be 37 this season, so the path is open for Henry to become one of the most productive players at the position.

i

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Washington receiver Josh Doctson is going to have every opportunity to break out in 2017. The departures of DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon have left it wide-open for him. An Achilles tendon injury largely derailed his rookie season, but coach Jay Gruden knows how to use big receivers with speed.

Sheldon Rankins' start to his NFL career, but the powerful, imposing defensive tackle really showed up for New Orleans last season. In a league where you need to be able to pressure the quarterback from all angles, Rankins profiles as a potentially dominant interior defensive lineman. Eight sacks wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Who will be the NFL's best offense and defense in 2017?
i
i

Bowen: The Patriots should create the most issues for opposing defenses this season with a healthy Rob Gronkowski and the addition of wide receiver Brandin Cooks in coordinator Josh McDaniels' offense. Cooks has the electric ability to produce explosive plays on high-percentage throws from Tom Brady. On defense, give me the Seahawks. Getting Earl Thomas back is the key to Seattle's core Cover 3 scheme. This unit wins with the perfect mix of rush and coverage.

i
i

Graziano: Offense has to be the Patriots after adding Cooks and bringing in a new crew of RBs that should make the running game much more dynamic. Assuming Brady plays all 16 games (which he didn't last year), you have to imagine New England stays on top. Defensively, give me Denver, which might have come down a bit from its ridiculous 2015 heights but is still a unit that can win games on its own, even without top-end quarterback play.

i
i

Sando: Green Bay will push New England after restoring the tight end position, but I agree that the Patriots should have the best offense with Cooks in the equation and Brady playing 16 games instead of 12. On defense, I'll go with the Giants edging out Denver and Seattle. They found a way to re-sign Jason Pierre-Paul, despite giving Olivier Vernon a big contract last offseason.

Ben Roethlisberger, running back Le'Veon Belland receiver Antonio Brown are on the field together. Injuries have derailed that assertion in the past. Defensively, I still love the Broncos from a pure talent perspective and think they'll add a new dimension of aggressiveness under first-year coach Vance Joseph.

i
i

Yates: The Patriots were shut out in a game last year and played without Brady for a quarter of a season yet still finished third in scoring. Oh, and Gronk missed significant time because of injury Eli Apple, who came on strong during his rookie season.

Which team got measurably worse this offseason?
i

Bowen: On paper, the Washington Redskins' offense looks worse. I like the move to bring in wide receiver Terrelle Pryor. He's a high-ceiling player at the position. But can former first-round pick Josh Doctson stay healthy and contribute in his second season? Washington has to account for losing Pierre Garcon's production/toughness and DeSean Jackson's game-breaking speed. Plus, the Redskins head into the season without playcaller Sean McVay after he took the Rams' head-coaching job. Don't be surprised if Kirk Cousins and the offensive look a little rusty out of the gate.

i

Graziano: I think the signs are bad in Washington, where Cousins is going to have a tough time repeating his 2015 and 2016 success without Garcon and Jackson (not to mention McVay). This is a team that ran out of gas at the end of last season and lost a lot of key pieces on offense -- and they play in a division where Dallas and New York both should expect to be strong again.

i

Sando: The Arizona Cardinals seemed to get measurably worse on defense. Losing Calais Campbell is especially going to hurt. Despite the talent exodus, Arizona could actually improve in the standings. The 2016 team lost so many games through special-teams miscues that are unlikely to recur.

Buffalo Bills depending an awful lot on rookies this year, and rookies don't always fulfill their potential right away (if ever). Two of last year's top three receivers are gone. Two of last year's top three cornerbacks are gone. And while LeSean McCoy is still around to keep the running game dangerous, Mike Gillislee was outstanding last year and losing him really hurts Buffalo's depth.

i

Seifert: The Redskins' offensive organization and creativity took a hit when McVay departed for the Rams' head-coaching job. Plus, Cousins knows the team's confidence in him long term is measured. That's not a good combination -- and it doesn't even begin to address a defense that, charitably, doesn't look much better than the one that allowed 378 yards per game last season (No. 28 in the NFL).

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed a true deep-ball threat in wide receiver DeSean Jackson during free agency and then scooped up tight end O.J. Howard in the first round of the draft. Both players will become instant weapons for quarterback Jameis Winston and open up even more opportunities for No. 1 target Mike Evans. After throwing for over 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons, Winston is now in a position to lead an offense that can create matchup issues at all three levels of the field.

Which team improved itself the most?

i

Graziano: The Cleveland Browns could finish 6-10 and be the most improved team in the league. How many teams will make five-game improvements? They've invested in both lines, which is a fine way to start building, and while it's hard to imagine them being an explosive offense with their current situations at quarterback and wide receiver, coordinator Gregg Williams and the players that Cleveland drafted on defense should make a difference on that side of the ball.

i

Sando: The moves Tampa Bay made on offense, in particular, make the Buccaneers a compelling choice as the most improved team this offseason. I'm not sure how much they'll improve upon their 9-7 record from last season -- nine wins was on the high side of most projections -- but the offense is in position to take a significant step forward.

Schatz: Cleveland has done an impressive job in improving its roster this offseason, signing two starting offensive linemen in free agency (both still in the prime of their careers), drafting three first-rounders all under the age of 22 and finally finding a second-round lottery ticket at quarterback. (That last one might not pay off, but it also won't stop them from using a first-round pick if they feel the right quarterback is there next year.) We won't all be talking about the Browns' improvement when they go from 1-15 to 5-11, but this is all going to pay off handsomely in three years.

i

Seifert: New Indianapolis Colts general manager Chris Ballard did a great job filling holes with talented veterans. They added a dozen veteran free agents, with a focus on defensive line and linebacker. Keep in mind that the Colts had signed a total of 10 free agents in the previous nine offseasons combined. Nose tackle Johnathan Hankins and linebacker Jabaal Sheard were particularly smart signings. Ballard has effectively set a new tone in Indianapolis.

i

Yates: This might come as a surprise, as the organization hasn't had the splashiest offseason, but I'm a fan of the Los Angeles Rams' offseason. Their No. 1 priority was finding a head coach who could help Jared Goff in his progression. They did just that by hiring Sean McVay, who assembled a terrific coaching staff on both sides of the ball. The Rams also bolstered the offensive line by signing left tackle Andrew Whitworth. Goff's supporting cast is unquestionably stronger, as compared to his rookie season.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't help but agree with this. I don't see us going anywhere but up. I've never been sold on Goff...even before we drafted him. But we did a damn fine job of getting him some weapons...our defense and special teams are going to be top tier. If our offense can actually score some points, look out.