INsider: Rams' Biggest Offseason Needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is it an oxymoron to have a Football Outsiders article featured in ESPN Insiders?

By Danny Tuccitto | Football Outsiders
<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8959111/2013-nfl-offseason-biggest-offseason-needs-cardinals-49ers-seahawks-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... hawks-rams</a>

St. Louis Rams: Right tackle, safety

Only one year removed from 2-14, it's remarkable that the Rams' roster doesn't have more holes. On the surface, it appears that free agency may decimate their offense due to the potential loss of Steven Jackson, but 2012 seventh-round pick Daryl Richardson would have ranked 16th in running back DVOA if he had the two additional carries needed to qualify. Talented second-rounder Isaiah Pead played only 39 offensive snaps last season and should contribute much more in 2013. At wide receiver, rookie Chris Givens finished a respectable 47th in DYAR, while free agent Brandon Gibson -- as good as gone -- has been in jeopardy of losing his role as the team's big, possession receiver since St. Louis drafted 6-foot-4 Brian Quick last April. And if the team doesn't re-sign injury-prone slot receiver Danny Amendola, the draft has the potential of three first-round wide receivers, and the free-agent market offers several additional options, including fellow Wes Welker clone Julian Edelman.

Instead, the biggest offensive issue St. Louis needs to address is at right tackle, where Barry Richardson had another awful year in pass protection (18 blown-block sacks or hurries allowed), and backup Wayne Hunter struggled mightily as an injury replacement for left tackle Rodger Saffold (eight blown-block sacks or hurries allowed in one-third of a season's worth of snaps). It should also be noted that, in the running game, St. Louis' least productive run direction was behind right tackle. As of right now, premier right tackles Sebastian Vollmer and Andre Smith are available if the Rams want to throw money at the problem. Otherwise, it's likely that Oklahoma's Lane Johnson will be available at their No. 16 pick.

On defense, St. Louis went from the 32nd-ranked DVOA in 2011 to 21st in 2012. With Rocky McIntosh and Mario Haggan set to hit the market as unrestricted free agents, strongside linebacker might be a concern. Of course, it's not like either of those guys is Von Miller. No, the biggest impending hole on defense is at safety, where it's likely that both 2012 starters (Quintin Mikell and Craig Dahl) won't be re-signed, and backup Darian Stewart went from "strong safety of the future" to "Gatorade watchman" in the course of one calendar year. Again, the Rams could benefit from a deep pool of second-tier free agents (e.g., Yeremiah Bell and Louis Delmas), while their No. 22 pick lines up nicely with where the two potential first-round safeties, Texas' Kenny Vaccaro and Florida's Matt Elam, are projected to go off the board.

nighttrain

Legend
only one thing about this article, isnt Mikell under contract for next season? yup for 9 mil, 6 mil guarenteed...
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
only one thing about this article, isnt Mikell under contract for next season? yup for 9 mil, 6 mil guarenteed...
train
Well, yes and no. His deal from 2011 had $14M guaranteed, including his 2011 and 2012 base salaries and the signing bonus. There are some miscellaneous bonuses paid as well ($2M a year), so I'm not sure how much of his guarantees have already been paid. There was some sort of option bonus paid in 2011 as well. They'd lose some money if they released him, but not as much as they would have to pay him. I'd hope some sort of restructure could happen with him. He's a helluva box safety.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
nighttrain said:
train
Well, yes and no. His deal from 2011 had $14M guaranteed, including his 2011 and 2012 base salaries and the signing bonus. There are some miscellaneous bonuses paid as well ($2M a year), so I'm not sure how much of his guarantees have already been paid. There was some sort of option bonus paid in 2011 as well. They'd lose some money if they released him, but not as much as they would have to pay him. I'd hope some sort of restructure could happen with him. He's a helluva box safety.
But isnt he signed right now for the 9 mil? i know it's a lot, but from what i've read he gets the 6 mil if we cut him, a savings of 3 mil..I'd rather keep him..
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
X said:
nighttrain said:
train
But isnt he signed right now for the 9 mil? i know it's a lot, but from what i've read he gets the 6 mil if we cut him, a savings of 3 mil..I'd rather keep him..
train

According to the work of this idiot, you are correct; $3 million would be the savings.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?t=12324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=12324</a>

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
X said:
nighttrain said:
train
train

According to the work of this idiot, you are correct; $3 million would be the savings.

<a class="postlink" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?t=12324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?t=12324</a>

i see the only cut on that chart as Jackson, it's been a nice ride, but time to cut ties
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Hey, now CGI is a nice guy, lets not go point out his stupidity so quickly here! :sly:

Shh! :lol:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
X said:
nighttrain said:
train

OK if Mikell is due 9 mil in 2013 & he is due 7 mil in 2014= 16 million. If the Org. is thinking of letting Tim Walton develop his own safeties as he is known & likes to do then I would be looking hard @ that 16 mil going for Mikell can do elsewhere! Mikell does very little for me as a fan myself. I would be just fine with him if he was not making starting NFL QB pay in 2013. I have to question what in Hades was Billy & Spags doing on these contracts?? 14 million guaranteed? ...NINE million in 2013 season! ....for a past his prime 33 yr old in the box safety when you HAD two other in the box safeties on your roster working for crumbs like Darian Stewart & Craig Dahl ????? These guys were amateurs poor one to boot!

I know everybody likes trashing ganging up on the helpless Dahl but fact was he was forced to playing OUT OF POSITION on the field because of Mikell's lack of skills to play deep free safety the position he was supposed to play when signed. Dahl has been for yrs a cheap fair back up, in the box STRONG safety who worked hard with what little he had to offer. Unlike Mikell! Darian Stewart who also outplayed Mikell in 2011 worked for crumbs too & was placed in the deep safety position way too often in his 15 starts in 2011 also due to Miklell so I got issues with all this trashing of the other two safeties @ the same time talking up Mikell's play the last two yrs as a Ram. Seems that both Fisher & Spags sacrificed Dahl & Stewart so Mikell could succeed! I even hear you Ram fans now saying its not Mikell's fault yeah I hear ya. I do not accept it he will share some of this mess @ safety from me.

The issue currently facing DC Tim Walton & Chuck Cecil is the Rams appear to not have a bonified deep free safety ready to start in 2013. Big Big Gaping HOLE next to Mikell. Rams have their 2012 back up FS named Rodney McLeod but he may be a bit green to think of @ this point. He was the Rams lead Gunner on ST's in 2012 & sometimes a bonehead too. Rod played in all 16 Ram games though & went through training camp & preseason in 2012. Rod did get some actual on field action too mostly due to Darian Stewart's knee & hammy issues. Rod has some big size issues under 5-10 under 180 pounds in 2012. Other than Rod nothing.

If the Org. cut ties with Mikell & the rest of his 16 million contract now ....you also are minus now your starting SS & the Rams get to eat 6 million of 2013 cap $$ dead money being invested with a strong safety who is playing elsewhere. Rams options are #1-You pay Mikell his 9 mil to be your starter @ SS in 2013. OR #2-you release him now create another starting post hole eat 6 mil save 3 mil to use now. Looks more like a loose loose than win win to me. But its not Snead & Fishers fault that we are in this Mikell issue. The restructuring ...it could maybe might be the #3- option & yes it may be the less intrusive of the three but heck I would just soon cut the damn bleeding thing out now withstand the pain in order to stop the pain & issue later. Truth is Mikell is in the driver seat here with this contract he could & most likely will, refuse to restructure with Demoff causing Fisher to make a decision ...Mikell if released for refusing to restructure could take his already in hands 6 mil & run off ...sign with another team & make many more millions for a few yrs yet. Mikell will not suffer $$$ wise on either option #1 or #2 but he option #3 he will surely will loose $$ plus get booted out of the drivers seat leverage on a Demoff Restructure deal. Question then why do it?

I like the this solution best go ahead release the Rams of this cap buster older SS. Make an offer to the younger 24 yr old RFA Darian Stewart for a very small piece of that 10 million savings you get with cut of Mikell in 2013-2014 @ a moderate 2-3 yrs contract cap friendly. I like DS he was a very good young starter in 2011. Rams also have second yr SS in Matt Daniels under contract he should be ready to play after surgery on his knee. Daniels was at Duke a 4.43-second 40-yard dash guy with very good football smarts.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1689443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1689443</a>

I would suggest everyone save your big current Strong Safety WANTS in 2013 move it forward to 2014 & in place of that BIGWANT go smallwant instead ...thinking early on the third day/Saturday morning for a strong safety prospective rookie. This should give Fisher, Tim Walton DC & DB coach Cecil three cap friendly options @ the SS post with out risk in future cap $$ nor lacking enough skill & talent to man the SS post. It also provides Tim Walton time to get his feet wet as an NFL DC & getting to know the Rams current signed & under contract defensive players. It may also open the possible the bidding on often injured ex Lions free deep safety Louis Delmas

Why flush the young cheaper cap cost Darian Stewart for older expensive cap cost Mikell? Is there really that much of a difference in value ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:
X said:
nighttrain said:
train

OK if Mikell is due 9 mil in 2013 & he is due 7 mil in 2014= 16 million. If the Org. is thinking of letting Tim Walton develop his own safeties as he is known & likes to do then I would be looking hard @ that 16 mil going for Mikell can do elsewhere! Mikell does very little for me as a fan myself. I would be just fine with him if he was not making starting NFL QB pay in 2013. I have to question what in Hades was Billy & Spags doing on these contracts?? 14 million guaranteed? ...NINE million in 2013 season! ....for a past his prime 33 yr old in the box safety when you HAD two other in the box safeties on your roster working for crumbs like Darian Stewart & Craig Dahl ????? These guys were amateurs poor one to boot!

I know everybody likes trashing ganging up on the helpless Dahl but fact was he was forced to playing OUT OF POSITION on the field because of Mikell's lack of skills to play deep free safety the position he was supposed to play when signed /u]. Dahl has been for yrs a cheap fair back up, in the box STRONG safety who worked hard with what little he had to offer. Unlike Mikell! Darian Stewart who also outplayed Mikell in 2011 worked for crumbs too & was placed in the deep safety position way too often in his 15 starts in 2011 also due to Miklell so I got issues with all this trashing of the other two safeties @ the same time talking up Mikell's play the last two yrs as a Ram. Seems that both Fisher & Spags sacrificed Dahl & Stewart so Mikell could succeed! I even hear you Ram fans now saying its not Mikell's fault yeah I hear ya. I do not accept it he will share some of this mess @ safety from me.

The issue currently facing DC Tim Walton & Chuck Cecil is the Rams appear to not have a bonified deep free safety ready to start in 2013. Big Big Gaping HOLE next to Mikell. Rams have their 2012 back up FS named Rodney McLeod but he may be a bit green to think of @ this point. He was the Rams lead Gunner on ST's in 2012 & sometimes a bonehead too. Rod played in all 16 Ram games though & went through training camp & preseason in 2012. Rod did get some actual on field action too mostly due to Darian Stewart's knee & hammy issues. Rod has some big size issues under 5-10 under 180 pounds in 2012. Other than Rod nothing.

If the Org. cut ties with Mikell & the rest of his 16 million contract now ....you also are minus now your starting SS & the Rams get to eat 6 million of 2013 cap $$ dead money being invested with a strong safety who is playing elsewhere. Rams options are #1-You pay Mikell his 9 mil to be your starter @ SS in 2013. OR #2-you release him now create another starting post hole eat 6 mil save 3 mil to use now. Looks more like a loose loose than win win to me. But its not Snead & Fishers fault that we are in this Mikell issue. The restructuring ...it could maybe might be the #3- option & yes it may be the less intrusive of the three but heck I would just soon cut the damn bleeding thing out now withstand the pain in order to stop the pain & issue later. Truth is Mikell is in the driver seat here with this contract he could & most likely will, refuse to restructure with Demoff causing Fisher to make a decision ...Mikell if released for refusing to restructure could take his already in hands 6 mil & run off ...sign with another team & make many more millions for a few yrs yet. Mikell will not suffer $$$ wise on either option #1 or #2 but he option #3 he will surely will loose $$ plus get booted out of the drivers seat leverage on a Demoff Restructure deal. Question then why do it?

I like the this solution best go ahead release the Rams of this cap buster older SS. Make an offer to the younger 24 yr old RFA Darian Stewart for a very small piece of that 10 million savings you get with cut of Mikell in 2013-2014 @ a moderate 2-3 yrs contract cap friendly. I like DS he was a very good young starter in 2011. Rams also have second yr SS in Matt Daniels under contract he should be ready to play after surgery on his knee. Daniels was at Duke a 4.43-second 40-yard dash guy with very good football smarts.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1689443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1689443</a>

I would suggest everyone save your big current Strong Safety WANTS in 2013 move it forward to 2014 & in place of that BIGWANT go smallwant instead ...thinking early on the third day/Saturday morning for a strong safety prospective rookie. This should give Fisher, Tim Walton DC & DB coach Cecil three cap friendly options @ the SS post with out risk in future cap $$ nor lacking enough skill & talent to man the SS post. It also provides Tim Walton time to get his feet wet as an NFL DC & getting to know the Rams current signed & under contract defensive players. It may also open the possible the bidding on often injured ex Lions free deep safety Louis Delmas

Why flush the young cheaper cap cost Darian Stewart for older expensive cap cost Mikell? Is there really that much of a difference in value ?

Yeah, there are options. I think the most logical decision, from my standpoint anyway, is to *try* to renegotiate Mikell's salary and defer some of this year's cap hit to later years. Guarantee some of it, but make it more digestible, because he *is* a tremendous asset as not only a leader in the LR, but also as a defender in run support. He was a top 5 box safety last year (maybe top 3, can't remember), so all you need to do is pair him with a center-fielder. We really don't have a lot of candidates for free safety. A few SS types, but not many FS types. Vaccarro would be a nice fit if they elected to go that way, but the draft is pretty deep at the position.

I like Stewart's big play ability, but truth be known; he was caught out of position quite a bit as well. I think we can all agree that Dahl has some talent, but it's not at free safety. He's not a TOTAL liability, but he has given up some huge plays. Moreso than the ones he saved.

As fans, all we can do is speculate and trust that the coaching staff makes the right call and puts together the right alignment. Which I have complete faith that they will do. This is what separates them from us. The tough calls with salary and determining whether or not a player is ready to assume a starting role is not something I'd be anxious to tackle.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam nailed this, its lose lose for the Rams, but the way he explained it i can see it going either way, keep him or cut him..Walton and Fisher will figure this out in a way that's best for the Ram's, here's hoping anyway
train