Insider: Draft Needs - St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=2250

ST. LOUIS RAMS (7-9)
stl.gif

Draft Position: Nos. 2 and 13
Needs: Offensive tackle, safeties, strong-side linebacker

The Rams once again are in great shape from the 2011 RG III trade with Washington. St. Louis holds the Redskins' pick, No. 2 overall this May (the final of the three first-round picks they received in the trade). Interesting enough, the Rams are again sitting in prime position to potentially move back and acquire more picks, which is something general manager Les Snead has been masterful at the past two drafts. The Rams are the only team in the top five that don't have a pressing need for a quarterback or a pass-rusher such as South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney, a position and a player teams will be coveting.

If the Rams do elect to hold on to the pick, Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews makes sense here. Matthews fills a pressing need, and at this point, appears to be the clear-cut No. 1 offensive tackle, although Auburn's Greg Robinson could make a push as we get further into his evaluation. Furthermore, Jake Long has dealt with durability issues the past few seasons and continuing to bolster protection for Sam Bradford, who will return from a season-ending knee injury this year, makes sense here.

The Rams could also go value here and take a player such as Clowney if they are comfortable with his character and believe he is an elite talent while addressing offensive tackle with pick No. 13. DE certainly isn't a pressing need with Robert Quinn and Chris Long locked up for the next two years, but adding Clowney to the mix would instantly give the Rams a scary pass-rushing front line.

Finally, don't count out UCLA's Anthony Barr from being in the mix, whether they take him at No. 2 or move back a few slots and take him. With SLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar and backup Will Witherspoon set to hit free agency, Barr has the length and athleticism to fill the void while also adding another pass-rushing element to the mix.

Whichever way St. Louis goes at No. 2 will dictate the direction they take at 13. Michigan'sTaylor Lewan or Kouandjio could be in the mix here if they don't address the offensive line with their first pick. While Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack would be a great fit and bring strong value if still on the board at 13, Alabama's C.J. Mosley could also be in the mix at this point.

Finally, the Rams will also be on the lookout to add a playmaker at the safety position. Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix could be an option at No. 13, while in the second round, Florida State's Lamarcus Joyner's versatility and knack for coming up with big plays would be appealing. If St. Louis elects to wait until later, Western Kentucky's Jonathan Dowling and Florida State's Terrence Brooks may be viable options in early Day 3 range.

OT: Matthews, Robinson*, Lewan, Kouandjio*, Notre Dame's Zack Martin, West Virginia's Curt Feigt
OLBs: Barr, Mack, Mosley, Florida's Ronald Powell*, Alabama's Adrian Hubbard*
Safeties: Clinton-Dix*, Joyner, Dowling*, Brooks, Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward, Albany State's Dexter Moody

V3

Hall of Fame
How is CB not mentioned? To me, that's MUCH more important than a SLB for this team. The Rams could just re-sign Dunbar or plug in someone else at the position. We don't even use the SLB that much since we use extra CB's more often than not, which brings me right back to why isn't CB on the list? Also, OG is a higher priority than OT yet isn't even mentioned.

:disappoint: Oh ESPN.

Thanks for the link anyways, CGI.

Alan

Legend
Exactly V3. I was just yakking about that in a different thread. I don't know where they would get the thought it's a high priority. Doesn't make sense to me.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Did McCleod really do that bad?

And being Snead said "we don't make a move based on an injury," I'd say the Rams beleive they don't need a first round tackle. Me need interior lineman over OT, IMO.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

And being Snead said "we don't make a move based on an injury," I'd say the Rams beleive they don't need a first round tackle. We need interior lineman over OT, IMO.

Alan

Legend
They said he played better in the latter part of the season but I'm thinking that was relative. There are others here who would be able to answer that much better than me because I didn't pay that much attention to him except to get a general impression. I sure don't want to go into the season on a wing and a prayer though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
McCleoud IMO played like Clemens. Competent backup who made limited mistakes, but really didnt make many big plays. Definitely need a new starting safety.

V3

Hall of Fame

And being Snead said "we don't make a move based on an injury," I'd say the Rams beleive they don't need a first round tackle. Me need interior lineman over OT, IMO.

Our secondary was HORRIBLE. Johnson and McD were the only two that consistently played well. I have no idea what happened to Jenkins. McCleod is a backup. He was exposed. Finnegan isn't what he used to be so he should be gone(something tells me he'll still be here though).

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I have no idea what happened to Jenkins.
He was asked to play the wrong system. Jenkins shut down the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones when he played a man-to-man cover system in college; in fact, many analysts considered him the best pure cover corner in that year's draft. He's simply wasted with this soft cover crap.

As for the article above, it doesn't mention guard, as has already been observed, and overrates our need for an outside linebacker.

iced

He was asked to play the wrong system. Jenkins shut down the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones when he played a man-to-man cover system in college; in fact, many analysts considered him the best pure cover corner in that year's draft. He's simply wasted with this soft cover crap.

As for the article above, it doesn't mention guard, as has already been observed, and overrates our need for an outside linebacker.

i wonder if this is him playing too far off, the scheme, or the coaching

cause i remember the audio from last years niners game when fisher was saying "tell him to man up and go make a play"

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Our secondary was HORRIBLE. Johnson and McD were the only two that consistently played well. I have no idea what happened to Jenkins. McCleod is a backup. He was exposed. Finnegan isn't what he used to be so he should be gone(something tells me he'll still be here though).

Never seemed like McCleod was around the ball when it was in the air. Then again teams picked us apart through intermediate and sideline routes. McDonald showed up a lot. Jenkins couldn't handle off coverage but no CB can handle a WR when given that much space. Shorts routes are an easy 5+ yards in that scheme but we did it all year. I'm just saying our safeties were not really tested except for in the run game. We played very safe between the 20's. We do need a CB and FS but I don't think a FS warrants a first round pick. Perhaps a second round pick but I'd shoot for a third round guy.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis with this tidbit:
We do need a CB and FS but I don't think a FS warrants a first round pick. Perhaps a second round pick but I'd shoot for a third round guy.
I think FS is a very high priority but I agree with you that the solution need not be a first round pick. Whoever we get needs to have the right skill set. Do those type of players slide to the third round? Maybe. I'm not sure I'd want to take that chance. I'm hoping that in a trade down we get an extra 2nd round pick. I think the second round is the sweet spot for a FS. They don't get the attention that the big hitting SSs do and they slide a little. But who knows how this draft will play out. I don't even know yet which teams other than us need that skill set.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

No Rodney McLeod did NOT play bad! Maybe the national sports press(ESPN) needs a lesson here. Ok I will help them out @ no charge. I'll do it his way ...lets do a pre test. Lets all go back for a Ram secondary 2013 season history lesson...when CF began his sputtering very early 2013 ..Fisher assigned Nickle Back was CB Trumaine Johnson who came in to replace the sputtering starting corner CF just like Trumaine had to do in 2012. That sets the stage for the 20 question pre test:
Question #1-Who said that Rodney McLeod play bad was it HC Fisher was it GM Snead?
Answer-No
Question #2-What position did Trumaine Johnson come from when CF was removed & he move in?
A-Nickle
Question #3-Who was then inserted into the now vacant & for all practical purposes Fisher's starting Nickel post ?
A- CF ....but CF played the Nickel even worse than he played the outside corner post ...CF had to be removed from the field & from that Nickle Back post.
Question #4- worth many points .....Who was forced to play the Nickle after CF ....instead of his natural safety position? having some issues answering that one ..... It was one of our starting safeties....Ok does that help ? Who was it?
A-Rodney McLeod.
Question#5-Who replaced McLeod in that starting safety post?
A-Matt Giordano was first up who just spent the entire 2013 TC & pre season on the physically unable to play roster.
Question #6-
Why was this rusty over 30 something safety Now playing starting safety for the Rams?
A-Hey sports writers If you recall safety Darian Stewart was injured again in 2013 TC & pre season & was still having injury issues.
Question #7- Which Ram starting safety was forced to play out & away from his safety post most of the 2013 season?
A-Rodney McLeod.
Question #8- While Rodney McLeod was playing the Nickel, who were the Rams starting safety?
A- Darian Stewart & Matt Giordano were basically the Rams starting safeties.
Question #9 What other Rams starting safety missed most of 7 games due to a broken leg?
A- T J McDonald.
Question #10
If Rod was playing Nickle & TJ missed 7 games with broken leg then who were the starting Ram safeties?
A- Darian Stewart & Matt Giordano
Question #11-Which Ram DB was the only Ram DB who starting every game this past season?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #12- Which DB was asked by Fisher to play out of position for the benefit of team & away from his position @ safety ?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #13-Which of Fisher DB's has played all of Fishers 6 DB positions?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #14- Would it be reasonable to say that Rod McLeod was the Rams starting safety in 2013?
A-no
Question #15- Was the Rams safety play good this season?
A- No
Question #16-So when most all say we need an upgrade @ safety due to the safety play who was the starting safety again???? Maybe this will help..both the safeties are now UFA's & McLeod & McDonald are under contract.
Question #17- Did Ram fans get a good full long look at the abilities of our two young safeties in 2013?
A-No ...how could they those two played very few full games together as starting safeties!
Question #18- Can the national press corps really know just how good these two safeties are playing together?
A-No
Question #19- Has Snead & Fisher planned to have replacements for the departed safeties Stewart & Giordano?
A-Yes Cody Davis & Matt Daniels are under contract and will be ready to fill those reserve safety spots.
Questions #20- Please tell me now why the Rams have this major high pressing need to upgrade the four present signed Ram safeties based off the premise of your reasons on your judgement of their alleged bad play? Having taken this pre test might you want to go back & reconsider your so call NFL sports knowledge ESPN insider?

On the more serious side I would like to see a second day selection of a rangy play-maker of a safety too. But not based off of any allege big need. The big need is @ CB not safety IMO. Lets see what we have in the big four & evaluate them before burning cap $$ or high prized high draft picks on a safety.Fisher is an OUTSTANDING judge of young talented safeties. Fisher went onto the 2013 season with only four CB's. Snead/Fisher released some good CB candidates thinking that the four would remain healthy & play strong..wrong CF played weak & then got hurt along with some nagging injuries early to rookie Brandon McGee who Fisher likes put McLeod in that position. Rams later in the season resigned two of the released corners Quinton Pointer & Darrin Woodard.

By now most all surely know where I stand on Fishers 2013 starting safeties. I like Rodney McLeod & what he can do. I sure would like to see Rod & TJ play a full season together in 2014 where I expect some real good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
And this guy leaves out Louisville's S- Pryor from the list??? He is my favorite after HaHa Clinton-Dix

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Idk who wrote this article, but I agree with above comments. OG should be listed and OLB omitted. Imo OG is our biggest need: under-performing oft injured Dahl, 2 backups in Williams & Smith hitting FA, and athletic but injury prone RG Saffold hitting FA. I think we should resign Roger & Smith & draft a OG in rds 2-3.

As for OLB, we have James at MLB & Ogletree at OLB. The 2nd OLB in the 4-3 plays so infrequently in today's NFL with the use of 3+ WRs, that the nickelback is more important. Nickel is a bigger need.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No Rodney McLeod did NOT play bad! Maybe the national sports press(ESPN) needs a lesson here. Ok I will help them out @ no charge. I'll do it his way ...lets do a pre test. Lets all go back for a Ram secondary 2013 season history lesson...when CF began his sputtering very early 2013 ..Fisher assigned Nickle Back was CB Trumaine Johnson who came in to replace the sputtering starting corner CF just like Trumaine had to do in 2012. That sets the stage for the 20 question pre test:
Question #1-Who said that Rodney McLeod play bad was it HC Fisher was it GM Snead?
Answer-No
Question #2-What position did Trumaine Johnson come from when CF was removed & he move in?
A-Nickle
Question #3-Who was then inserted into the now vacant & for all practical purposes Fisher's starting Nickel post ?
A- CF ....but CF played the Nickel even worse than he played the outside corner post ...CF had to be removed from the field & from that Nickle Back post.
Question #4- worth many points .....Who was forced to play the Nickle after CF ....instead of his natural safety position? having some issues answering that one ..... It was one of our starting safeties....Ok does that help ? Who was it?
A-Rodney McLeod.
Question#5-Who replaced McLeod in that starting safety post?
A-Matt Giordano was first up who just spent the entire 2013 TC & pre season on the physically unable to play roster.
Question #6-
Why was this rusty over 30 something safety Now playing starting safety for the Rams?
A-Hey sports writers If you recall safety Darian Stewart was injured again in 2013 TC & pre season & was still having injury issues.
Question #7- Which Ram starting safety was forced to play out & away from his safety post most of the 2013 season?
A-Rodney McLeod.
Question #8- While Rodney McLeod was playing the Nickel, who were the Rams starting safety?
A- Darian Stewart & Matt Giordano were basically the Rams starting safeties.
Question #9 What other Rams starting safety missed most of 7 games due to a broken leg?
A- T J McDonald.
Question #10
If Rod was playing Nickle & TJ missed 7 games with broken leg then who were the starting Ram safeties?
Question #11-Which Ram DB was the only Ram DB who starting every game this past season?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #12- Which DB was asked by Fisher to play out of position for the benefit of team & away from his position @ safety ?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #13-Which of Fisher DB's has played all of Fishers 6 DB positions?
A-Rodney McLeod
Question #14- Would it be reasonable to say that Rod McLeod was the Rams starting safety in 2013?
A-no
Question #15- Was the Rams safety play good this season?
A- No
Question #16-So when most all say we need an upgrade @ safety due to the safety play who was the starting safety again???? Maybe this will help..both the safeties are now UFA's & McLeod & McDonald are under contract.
Question #17- Did Ram fans get a good full long look at the abilities of our two young safeties in 2013?
A-No ...how could they those two played very few full games together as starting safeties!
Question #18- Can the national press corps really know just how good these two safeties are playing together?
A-No
Question #19- Has Snead & Fisher planned to have replacements for the departed safeties Stewart & Giordano?
A-Yes Cody Davis & Matt Daniels are under contract and will be ready to fill those reserve safety spots.
Questions #20- Please tell me now why the Rams have this major high pressing need to upgrade the four present signed Ram safeties based off the premise of your reasons on your judgement of their alleged bad play? Having taken this pre test might you want to go back & reconsider your so call NFL sports knowledge Mr. ESPN insider?

On the more serious side I would like to see a second day selection of a rangy play-maker of a safety too. But not based off of any allege big need. The big need is @ CB not safety IMO. Lets see what we have in the big four & evaluate them before burning cap $$ or high prized high draft picks on a safety.Fisher is an OUTSTANDING judge of young talented safeties. Fisher went onto the 2013 season with only four CB's. Snead/Fisher released some good CB candidates thinking that the four would remain healthy & play strong..wrong CF played weak & then got hurt along with some nagging injuries early to rookie Brandon McGee who Fisher likes put McLeod in that position. Rams later in the season resigned two of the released corners Quinton Pointer & Darrin Woodard.

Wow

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with a quick fill in the blank pre test:
Answer-No

First of all, I hate fill in the blank tests. Next time I'd like to see a multiple choice test so that I have an opportunity to guess.

I think I got about a B+ on this test but I'm contesting this question.

The real answer is wait for it....ME! Not me as in myself but me as in the experts, including yourself, on this board who watched every move he made. Exactly who has Snisher ever said played badly? :lol::rofl::lol::rofl:

Sorry Bonifay but that is a really funny answer you gave and I think you should throw that question out. I think that puts me up to the A- to A range. Probably A if you grade on the curve. :wink:

In all seriousness though, I'm somewhat reassured that you like McLeod's play but I sure as hell don't want to go into the season with him being option A. McLeod is an unknown at the FS position and I wasn't imnpressed with his play at any position. IMO we need a known going into TC. Either a vet or a well thought of draftee. Of course it would be great if Mcleod won the starting job cause then we'd have a great backup.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First of all, I hate fill in the blank tests. Next time I'd like to see a multiple choice test so that I have an opportunity to guess.I think I got about a B+ on this test but I'm contesting this question.
The real answer is wait for it....ME! Not me as in myself but me as in the experts, including yourself, on this board who watched every move he made. Exactly who has Snisher ever said played badly? :lol::rofl::lol::rofl:
Sorry Bonifay but that is a really funny answer you gave and I think you should throw that question out. I think that puts me up to the A- to A range. Probably A if you grade on the curve. :wink:
In all seriousness though, I'm somewhat reassured that you like McLeod's play but I sure as hell don't want to go into the season with him being option A. McLeod is an unknown at the FS position and I wasn't imnpressed with his play at any position. IMO we need a known going into TC. Either a vet or a well thought of draftee. Of course it would be great if Mcleod won the starting job cause then we'd have a great backup.

Yes I was being easy on most with the quick easy answers plus most attention spans do not read past the 1st 3 or 4 lines:D. You & I have had a big difference of opinion on the Rams safety situation. I want to see a lot more where many have seen enough. Your right Fisher is very kind to their players. I have never been a ESPN fan so I am tainted.

iced

meh it's espn..unless its sando, these guys don't do their homework. Sad they charge for this, and that people actually pay for it

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam coming back with:
You & I have had a big difference of opinion on the Rams safety situation. I want to see a lot more where many have seen enough.
I'm not so sure our opinions on this are all that different. I too haven't seen enough and that's the problem. You like what you've seen of McLeod and maybe what you like will result in a good solution to our FS problem. But maybe it won't. TC is not a good place to find out that McLeod isn't the solution. As you mentioned, we didn't get a good look at him playing FS and let's not forget that this is an UDFA. I did read that Mcleod's play improved as they season went on but improved from what level?

As far as ESPN goes, they're just like the NFL network in that I never watch them and a rarely like/agree with anything they write about or say. I do like Bucky Brooks, Mike Mayock and Jaws (occasionally) but the rest of them are entertainers and not football experts in my mind. Just because many of them have played in the NFL doesn't mean they know what they're talking about when it comes to anything except how to play their position. I pay a lot more attention to what the guys on this board say.