Inside LB'er Mark Barron Concern

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
BARRON CONCERN
By Rich Hammond | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
December 29, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Linebacker Mark Barron, who missed last week’s game with an Achilles injury and won’t play in Sunday’s season finale against San Francisco, isn’t a sure thing to return for the playoffs, McVay said.

“He’s such a tough — physically and mentally — guy,” McVay said, “but when something like this creeps up, it definitely concerns you because you don’t really know. Is he going to be available? Is he not? It’s really all predicated on how he feels that day. This is something that you monitor day to day.”

Barron did not practice this week and is on the list of players who will sit out Sunday’s game. McVay said he values rest for some of his players over the possibility of claiming the No. 3 seed in the NFC bracket.

Quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley, receiver Cooper Kupp, offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan, Donald, Barron and linebacker Alec Ogletree will not play, and McVay hinted that players such as offensive lineman Rodger Saffold and receivers Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins would receive minimal playing time.

https://www.pe.com/2017/12/29/truma...s-a-new-contract-with-rams-is-still-possible/

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Surprised they are going to play Saffold in limited time after his injury, but that's fine I'm sure it will only be a couple of series.

Rams added another linebacker to their roster in Garrett Sickles and Corey Littleton has played really well in Barron's absence so that's a plus, but Barron is a big time hitter and the Rams will miss him plus Richard Sherman had Achilles issues as well, but kept playing and then he ruptured it, not sure how to handle this because I guess rest is what is needed otherwise if he ruptures it, he would need surgery and might need that anyway.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprised they are going to play Saffold in limited time after his injury, but that's fine I'm sure it will only be a couple of series.

Rams added another linebacker to their roster in Garrett Sickles and Corey Littleton has played really well in Barron's absence so that's a plus, but Barron is a big time hitter and the Rams will miss him plus Richard Sherman had Achilles issues as well, but kept playing and then he ruptured it, not sure how to handle this because I guess rest is what is needed otherwise if he ruptures it, he would need surgery and might need that anyway.
I know you're probably right, den, but we all are so cavalier about a guy getting operated on so that he can play...Same thing for GZ, who had a back operation. Either surgery would be a dramatic point in any normal person's life, with the real possibility of having multiple surgeries as an NFL player over a career. I just had a reality moment...:sneak:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good Late Morning den,Having a warming event up there in the NE?

They may go with Littleton the next two gms & then lean toward getting Barron ready for the big NFC Championship game? That would give him about 4 wks off from play. One would think that with the amount of investment the Rams have in Mark Barron it might end up with them just ended his 2017 season.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know you're probably right, den, but we all are so cavalier about a guy getting operated on so that he can play...Same thing for GZ, who had a back operation. E

Oh I believe they try to avoid surgery like we do too, however, Achilles is a tender area and I remember that Sherman had those issues and kept playing on it only to rupture it so I just wonder if Barron would need it regardless and they are resting him with hope he can play without further damage.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Oh I believe they try to avoid surgery like we do too, however, Achilles is a tender area and I remember that Sherman had those issues and kept playing on it only to rupture it so I just wonder if Barron would need it regardless and they are resting him with hope he can play without further damage.

If that's the case I sure hope the Rams' trainers/doctors manage it better than the Hawks did with Sherman.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If surgery is needed his season is done. So he's gotta weigh the risks. He has a chance to be part of something special this season. If he plays and ruptures it will it affect his chances of being ready next season? Would it affect his long term career?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Can't last long as an ILB.....not built for that pounding.

Completely agree...he is a 3rd down LB or slow SS....and overpaid for those roles. It is ashame because he is a playmaker, but just does not have a full-time role in this defense.

So in my view he should be let go or traded if possible and get a better fit at ILB.

With the cap space Cleveland has and the number of picks, you would think with Williams there they could throw us a mid rounder for him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Do to our lack of real quality Depth, at certain positions, like LG, I'm sure there are several players McVay would have liked to rest, but can't and still field a competent Team.
Littleton is playing really well, But I hope Barron make the Playoffs!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think if he got the scheme/responsibilities down, he'd play faster...the guy can run...his problem seems to be he's looking too much in the backfield when in zone coverage. I'm pretty sure he's faster than Johnson...but doesn't diagnose plays as fast...rather....he's always biting and coming up...instead of watching his zone...I see why they play him at LB....he's always creeping up in there..

Barron is a player we really should try to find a place for him...he's been one of our best players on defense for 3 years...
Donald, Ogletree, Brockers, and Barron....strength up the middle is always a great philosophy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Do to our lack of real quality Depth, at certain positions, like LG, I'm sure there are several players McVay would have liked to rest, but can't and still field a competent Team.
Littleton is playing really well, But I hope Barron make the Playoffs!

Maybe Dave as it appears the Rams would have to go with Aaron Neary at LG (just activated from PS), who has been on the PS all year and has not seen any minutes this season like Williams & Blythe and then there is Cornelius Lucas, who, I'm sure they would like to get a look at, but has not been active all year.

I think McVay would like to give them a chance in the first couple of series, similar to what Vermeil did in 99, but in the end this game is about avoiding injury and as much as all of us cannot stand the 49ers, we cannot lose sight of that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barron is a player we really should try to find a place for him...he's been one of our best players on defense for 3 years...

I don't want to make the same mistake I did prior to this season, in discounting Barron's ability to play ILB. He's played there very well. Still think his best position is WLB in a 4-3 due to it allowing him to chase, which is his greatest strength, and it has to be less pounding, but honestly right now I'm just hoping he finishes strong in the playoffs. We need this dude to get healthy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LB Mark Barron Appears on Track to Play vs. Falcons

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/LB-Mark-Barron-Appears-on-Track-to-Play-vs-Falcons/b1e6f41e-e413-45fd-927c-277239708bbd

Mark Barron has missed the vast majority of the last three games with a pair of injury issues. Barron played the first three defensive snaps in Los Angeles’ victory over the Seahawks in Week 15 before departing with a knee injury. Then Barron was a surprise inactive for the Week 16 win against the Titans, as an Achilles issue became too much to play through.

Barron was one of the many starters to get rest against the 49ers, too, having missed practice all week with the same Achilles issue. But head coach Sean McVay said Monday that Barron appears to be on track to play in Sunday’s playoff game against the Falcons.

“As far as Mark Barron’s concerned – really, he would be the only guy that you’re talking about — he feels good. And I think his mindset and mentality is, he’s getting ready to play [in] a playoff game on Saturday night,” McVay said. “I think this week will serve him well, giving him that time off. And then we’ll get a couple extra days, and we’ll see how he feels on Wednesday and try to ramp it up. And that will give us a really good gage of if we can expect him to play. But things are looking good for him.”

Because the Rams are playing Saturday night, their practice schedule has shifted to where Wednesday’s session will be more like a regular Thursday. And Thursday is when Los Angeles has typically held its most intense practice of the week.

Last Friday, McVay said Barron’s Achilles issue affects how he can move from sideline-to-sideline and redirect — which is important for how he plays as a linebacker. L.A. has felt good about linebacker Cory Littleton’s ability to step up and fill in for Barron — he had both a sack and an interception against Tennessee. But the Rams would certainly like to have Barron on the field.

“Mark’s going to always do the best that he can and it’s something where it’s just bothered him too much the last couple of weeks,” McVay said Friday.

Elsewhere on the injury front, McVay said cornerback Troy Hill checked out well and did not suffer a concussion in Sunday’s game. Defensive back Blake Countess, however, is in the concussion protocol. McVay said L.A. head trainer Reggie Scott is optimistic about how Countess felt on Monday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's some big dropoff from Barron to Littleton in coverage. Hope he's ready to go.

If I'm Atlanta's OC my plan would include isolating and attacking him in the passing game, that's for sure.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's some big dropoff from Barron to Littleton in coverage. Hope he's ready to go.

If I'm Atlanta's OC my plan would include isolating and attacking him in the passing game, that's for sure.
I bet Barron plays.

Ram65

Legend
Barron has made some big plays this year. Hope he can play. Littleton is good for rotation to give guys rest but, not every down. As mentioned he doesn't cover as well. Big slip last game. Barron's made tackles all over the field even in goalline situations.