Inside Johnny Manziel's rocky rookie season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will never be a franchise QB IMO.
You maybe right. If things continue in the current vein we will never know because he has he head so far up his butt he couldn't throw a pass if he wanted too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd bet there are people out there who would still pick him simply on the fact that Donalds not a QB. People get all kinds of irrational when it comes to QBs.

I never wanted the Rams to pick Manziel in any round. But I would trade Aaron Donald for Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr right now. I would also trade GRob for Blake Bortles. The better scenario though would be the first one. The Rams had a golden opportunity to shore up their QB situation, which is the toughest position in the NFL to have and they missed the boat.

FRO

Legend
I never wanted the Rams to pick Manziel in any round. But I would trade Aaron Donald for Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr right now. I would also trade GRob for Blake Bortles. The better scenario though would be the first one. The Rams had a golden opportunity to shore up their QB situation, which is the toughest position in the NFL to have and they missed the boat.
You're nuts to trade away Donald for Carr. I like Bridgewater, but I'm not sure I trade Donald for him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
GIF-are-you-sure-bitch-please-bug-eyes-disbelief-Kenan-Thompson-o-rly-oh-really-ok-then-snl-surprised-yeah-right-GIF.gif

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm no GM, but I would never trade a special player for an average one. No matter the position. And that's even giving Bridgewater the benefit of the doubt by calling him average right now. No offense, but this is exactly what I meant by people becoming irrational when it comes to QBs.

Don't think I'd trade Donald for anyone in the last draft (even Beckham), Joyner and a 3rd round pick (probably could have been a 4th) for Carr or Joyner for Garoppolo on the other hand, yes please.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This is one reason I put more stock into the "maturity" of a young player than I do talent. Especially at the QB position. I understand the old "well he is only a 2o-something kid" ... but when you enter the NFL ... you better be ready to be a MAN. Especially if you want to be THE MAN. I will probably never shy away from my priority of maturity. because "knucklehead" ... you just can't measure and define when it's over. If I'm using an early pick and investing millions of $$$ ... I'll take the guy who I know will at least work his ass off and give me every ounce of his best. That will put his team before himself, before the "new Shiny Knucklehead" that everyone craves.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This is one reason I put more stock into the "maturity" of a young player than I do talent. Especially at the QB position. I understand the old "well he is only a 2o-something kid" ... but when you enter the NFL ... you better be ready to be a MAN. Especially if you want to be THE MAN. I will probably never shy away from my priority of maturity. because "knucklehead" ... you just can't measure and define when it's over. If I'm using an early pick and investing millions of $$$ ... I'll take the guy who I know will at least work his ass off and give me every ounce of his best. That will put his team before himself, before the "new Shiny Knucklehead" that everyone craves.
Exactly. Give me a sure talent, not a lottery ticket of "He MIGHT grow up and live up to his potential!".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The great majority of them never actually DO grow up, and that's why I agree with you 100%. Well said!!!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The great majority of them never actually DO grow up, and that's why I agree with you 100%. Well said!!!
Thanks ... but I must quantify ... like I said in my post ... I put this "maturity" thing much higher for the QB spot than I do others. I might take a little more chances at another position, as long as I truly think the guy can be managed. But the QB spot ..... it is right up there at the top with traits I want.

So ... let's say for example ... Jameis Winston/Marcus Mariota ... I would take Mariota over Jameis just for the fact of his maturity level , even if I believe JW has the edge on talent or being more "day 1 ready". I'm just not willing to take that risk if I have another guy even remotely close in the other areas.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks ... but I must quantify ... like I said in my post ... I put this "maturity" thing much higher for the QB spot than I do others. I might take a little more chances at another position, as long as I truly think the guy can be managed. But the QB spot ..... it is right up there at the top with traits I want.

So ... let's say for example ... Jameis Winston/Marcus Mariota ... I would take Mariota over Jameis just for the fact of his maturity level , even if I believe JW has the edge on talent or being more "day 1 ready". I'm just not willing to take that risk if I have another guy even remotely close in the other areas.

I'm with you there, at QB it's really something that is a big deal. I always think "when did I hear about a really killer QB doing that kind of thing" when I think of Johnny Tricycle, JWinston and some of these other guys who do knuckleheaded things.

The red flags become big red banners when it's a QB, so I'm with ya. I hear ya. I feel ya.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm no GM, but I would never trade a special player for an average one. No matter the position. And that's even giving Bridgewater the benefit of the doubt by calling him average right now. No offense, but this is exactly what I meant by people becoming irrational when it comes to QBs.

QB is the hardest position to fill. When you have a chance to take a good one you do it.....especially if your oft injured QB just tore his ACL. I like Donald and GRob but both are easier to acquire than a good QB. I really wanted Garapolo in round 2. I just don't see why Joyner was the better pick.

Unfortunately every team has to have a decent QB. There is nothing irrational about valuing that position over all others. Did you see how many teams that don't have a good QB made the playoffs? It is not irrational. It is common sense. Bridgewater and Carr look like keepers. Bortles was my first choice though. Second was Carr or Garapolo. To think the Rams could have had either of the latter and still gotten Donald and GRob. It is frustrating because we are now seeing what a mistake they made and are hit in the face with just how tough it can be to find a good QB. The Rams probably end up trading too high a pick for Glennon because they are not the only team in need of a QB. Or they trade away future picks for Winston or Mariotta. Either way it all could have been avoided.

Even if you have a good QB you don't pass on one if you think he could be very good. Teams turn second round QBs into first round picks through trades. It never hurts to have a guy waiting in the wings to take over in case of injury too.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
QB is the hardest position to fill. When you have a chance to take a good one you do it.....especially if your oft injured QB just tore his ACL. I like Donald and GRob but both are easier to acquire than a good QB. I really wanted Garapolo in round 2. I just don't see why Joyner was the better pick.

Unfortunately every team has to have a decent QB. There is nothing irrational about valuing that position over all others. Did you see how many teams that don't have a good QB made the playoffs? It is not irrational. It is common sense. Bridgewater and Carr look like keepers. Bortles was my first choice though. Second was Carr or Garapolo. To think the Rams could have had either of the latter and still gotten Donald and GRob. It is frustrating because we are now seeing what a mistake they made and are hit in the face with just how tough it can be to find a good QB. The Rams probably end up trading too high a pick for Glennon because they are not the only team in need of a QB. Or they trade away future picks for Winston or Mariotta. Either way it all could have been avoided.

Even if you have a good QB you don't pass on one if you think he could be very good. Teams turn second round QBs into first round picks through trades. It never hurts to have a guy waiting in the wings to take over in case of injury too.

I'll give you GRob. But Donald is special. Be like trading Warren Sapp for Brad Johnson.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll give you GRob. But Donald is special. Be like trading Warren Sapp for Brad Johnson.

Well the trade off would have to be GRob for Bortles. I guess Donald wouldn't even be in the scenario because the Rams could have had Garapolo for Joyner.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well the trade off would have to be GRob for Bortles. I guess Donald wouldn't even be in the scenario because the Rams could have had Garapolo for Joyner.

I would trade Grob for Bortles. But it would be easier just to offer our first this year for Carr and have both. Drafting Joyner over Garapolo does seem to be a misstep. But hindsight 20/20. Besides Garapolo might not be any good here anyway. You know, without the defensive signals in his helmet, or the deflated balls.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
This is a cautionary tale. Character counts. I really hope that JM can grow up, but there is no reason to reach for a child to be your leader when you are playing a man's game. There are not very many elite QB's in the league that came in with baggage.

I sure hope the Rams brass are taking notes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've heard a lot of negative press on Manziel...... but I believe the sample size is to small or brief to call him a bust or a future starter..... I think that the Browns mishandled the whole situation in they're usual dysfunctional manner....so going into his second season they still have no clue what he can or cannot do.....
They know what he can do,or they wouldn't have drafted him.
1.Party with the best of them...That is very obvious.I could bet he gets the best Coke out of the can as well.(Texas/Mexico)
2.He is won of the best scramblers/play makers to ever come out of college.
3.He was a Rock Star.They knew he would sell Jerseys.
4. You know he doesn't have the pure arm strength/size as a QB
5.He's a TERDook at all the scandals that if it was USC they would have got another 10 year probation.
-------
What you don't know
1. If he was truly dedicated to the Sport as a NFL QB.Face of your franchise.A whole different.
2.You don't know if he can handle the snap & play calling under center.
3.Don't know if he will ever get that arm strength.He throws the ball late,when he finds the open receiver,because lack of strength.
4.You don't know if he has a learning disability, and uses partying as a cover up ?
5.You don't know if he will ever stop his addition aka His WR Josh Gordon another great talent.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
JF's problem started long ago, when mommy and daddy told him he was special and didn't have to follow the rules that everyone else had to follow. All I see is a rich kid that figures he'll default to the family money if/when this NFL thing doesn't work out. Until then...party on!