Injury report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Couldnt disagree more. Jenks has been good this year.

Agree, not to mention I don't expect Tru to return to form for a few weeks after cleared to play. I'll leave that up to the coaches, though. He's missed a ton of time.

jjab360

Legend
I'm not saying Jenkins doesn't have potential, he's just not a good CB right now. He just isn't. By any measure whatsoever.

I've provided evidence to support my opinion, why do you guys think Jenkins is so great right now other than because you said so?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I haven't been impressed by Jenkins for a while now. He takes a ton of chances and that pick six against the Cowboys was the first time he's made a play to show for it since his rookie year. He plays very loose in man coverage and is probably the biggest liability on the defense behind only Ogletree right now.

If you want to be impressed by mediocrity then that's your choice, but Jenks is probably the third best CB on the team right now. And as for his tackling being "top notch", Jenkins has the 2nd most missed tackles on the team and 6th most in the league among CBs.
So every time he plays "off" coverage, he is in man to man? or maybe just maybe, he is playing the defense as it is being coached. And the play he got beaten on by Lloyd, was ZONE coverage, and yes, he bit on the double move fully expecting his FS to be in the Cover 3 zone for support. But hey, he was the one closest to the ball, so HE must have been the one who screwed up.

Unless you know what the defensive call is, there is no way you can really know for sure if they are "playing off coverage" on their own, or in most cases, how they are coached to line up. DO you honestly think that if one of the CBs isn't lining up properly, that wouldn't be addressed immediately?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't been impressed by Jenkins for a while now. He takes a ton of chances and that pick six against the Cowboys was the first time he's made a play to show for it since his rookie year. He plays very loose in man coverage and is probably the biggest liability on the defense behind only Ogletree right now.

If you want to be impressed by mediocrity then that's your choice, but Jenks is probably the third best CB on the team right now. And as for his tackling being "top notch", Jenkins has the 2nd most missed tackles on the team and 6th most in the league among CBs.
Are you insinuating Joyner has been better than Jenkins?? If so we need not go further.

jjab360

Legend
So every time he plays "off" coverage, he is in man to man? or maybe just maybe, he is playing the defense as it is being coached. And the play he got beaten on by Lloyd, was ZONE coverage, and yes, he bit on the double move fully expecting his FS to be in the Cover 3 zone for support. But hey, he was the one closest to the ball, so HE must have been the one who screwed up.

Unless you know what the defensive call is, there is no way you can really know for sure if they are "playing off coverage" on their own, or in most cases, how they are coached to line up. DO you honestly think that if one of the CBs isn't lining up properly, that wouldn't be addressed immediately?
Never said anything about "playing off coverage" so not exactly sure who your rant was directed at.

I did say he plays loose, which he does. Also keeps his eyes in the backfield a lot, on the Lloyd TD for example. Just very undisciplined in general, if he just stuck to the basics instead of always trying to go for the big play, he'd probably be just fine. As it is, he's giving up a ton of plays right now, so excuse me for not giving him a free pass like the rest of you seem to be doing. I haven't been very happy with Ogletree's undisciplined play either, but because he gets the occasional FF he's been doing just fine according to everyone until he got exposed over and over again last Sunday that is.

jjab360

Legend
Are you insinuating Joyner has been better than Jenkins?? If so we need not go further.
No, I'm insinuating Gaines has been better and a healthy TruJo has been better. Joyner might be better but they play different positions and we haven't seen as much of him so hard to tell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm with jjab here when it comes to Jenks. He has improved, but unfortunately his gaffs are part of the reason the Rams have lost a couple games. The long pass to end the 1st half against SF was of enormous and negative impact. I'm still pi$$ed at him about that one and will be for a while tbh.

Either way I look at it getting Johnson back is big for this team. Rams get a little more consistent in executing scheme from the CB position, a little better vs the run too since Tru is very good at that. I just hope he's back in game shape from the moment he returns.

The one thing I will say in Jenks favor is they've had him draw the tough matchups like against Dallas. So there is that, and I think that will factor into who is demoted to nickel. Personally, my guess is Jenks goes to nickel, and they leave Gaines alone since he's doing well where he is. No sense messing with that, plus considering he's a rook and all. Jenks should be able to excel at the nickel, and they'll have Joyner there if he doesn't show better consistency or they can start working Joyner in at FS. Either way that depth is good for the Rams.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I'm insinuating Gaines has been better and a healthy TruJo has been better. Joyner might be better but they play different positions and we haven't seen as much of him so hard to tell.
Agree to disagree mate.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fine, but just to be clear are you saying that Gaines hasn't been better this year or Johnson wasn't better last year?
Im saying we need not go further because its clear we disagree and neither are going to budge. "Agree to disagree".

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would say that without question Jenks is our best CB at this point. When we DO go man - who gets the other team's #1 the majority of the time?

It's not all about stats. When I watch them play, JJ simply has better coverage. Yes he gets burned and has been caught looking. But all in all, I would still say he is the best CB we have and is well regarded throughout the NFL by coaches as he is the one they bring up when discussing game plans.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

The job Gaines has done as a late round rookie stepping in from week 1 has been commendable. Definitely think he has starter potential on the outside or slot. However its hard to compare Gaines to Jenks, when JJ has consistently drawn the oppositions top WR all year. I have to think Gaines stats may be a little different if had to matchup against guys like Dez. Jenks still has mental lapses, which I do find infuriating, but overall he does much more good for this team than bad

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The long pass to end the 1st half against SF was of enormous and negative impact. I'm still pi$$ed at him about that one and will be for a while tbh.

Shouldn't you be more pissed at McLeod for not staying in position at the back or Williams for calling a package that didn't have deep help on that play?

jjab360

Legend
Shouldn't you be more pissed at McLeod for not staying in position at the back or Williams for calling a package that didn't have deep help on that play?

We don't know what Mcleod's responsibility was or what play Williams called. What we do know is that Jenkins got caught with his eyes in the backfield and getting too greedy which unfortunately has become par for the course for him. Trying to push the blame on somebody else for Jenkins getting beat as bad as he was in such a crucial situation is nothing but an excuse.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So do you always get high while watching the Rams? Because no one's seeing what you see when it comes to Jenkins!

I totally agree with Jjab on this one folks. People overrate Jenkins around here. Maybe it is because of his elite athleticism or his past college accolades. Or maybe because he was consider a first round talent that the team got in round 2. He makes a lot of good plays but it seems he makes as many bad ones. It is frustrating since the talent is there. He could be a shutdown corner if his head was as good as his body. Tru was the better corner last year and it wasn't hard to see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Huh? By what standard is that? Jenks is giving up a 123 QB rating right now and getting outperformed in almost every way possible by a 6th round rookie CB. And that TD he gave up to Brandon Lloyd was just abysmal. Still can't get the taste out of my mouth on that one.

This is the perfect example of why I have an issue with PFF. You watch these guys on a weekly basis and you have to go to PFF to make this argument. Come on, man. Especially considering PFF's stats are clearly erroneous and yet you're quoting them. You're better than this. We both know you are.

Jenkins had a very shitty game against San Francisco. Beyond that, he's been quite good this year. As far as his missed tackles go, I don't care. Jenkins has made numerous key tackles this year in space against talented athletes. His tackling has come a long ways and the guy has saved us quite a few big plays with clutch tackles on the edge.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know what Mcleod's responsibility was or what play Williams called. What we do know is that Jenkins got caught with his eyes in the backfield and getting too greedy which unfortunately has become par for the course for him. Trying to push the blame on somebody else for Jenkins getting beat as bad as he was in such a crucial situation is nothing but an excuse.

So you're ok with either McLeod or Williams leaving the rams totally exposed at the back on 3rd down with 30 secs left on the clock? And you put total blame on Jenkins?

Really?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never said anything about "playing off coverage" so not exactly sure who your rant was directed at.

I did say he plays loose, which he does. Also keeps his eyes in the backfield a lot, on the Lloyd TD for example. Just very undisciplined in general, if he just stuck to the basics instead of always trying to go for the big play, he'd probably be just fine. As it is, he's giving up a ton of plays right now, so excuse me for not giving him a free pass like the rest of you seem to be doing. I haven't been very happy with Ogletree's undisciplined play either, but because he gets the occasional FF he's been doing just fine according to everyone until he got exposed over and over again last Sunday that is.

Just stop right there. You're wrong. You gotta understand the techniques and coverages in order to understand what went wrong there. Jenkins got beat on that play because he bit on the double move due to him playing the WR. He was in bail technique, HIS EYES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE BACK-FIELD. The entire point of bail technique is to allow the CB a better vantage point to read the field and the QB. The weakness of bail technique are inside breaking routes. Which was the point of saturating the middle with so many zone defenders. Janoris needs to be smarter and more aware in that situation.

Kaepernick didn't pump fake. He did nothing to get Jenkins to bite. Had Jenkins been playing solely the QB, he wouldn't have bit on Lloyd's fake.

McLeod's responsibility wasn't even the deep middle. The Rams dropped James Laurinaitis down the seam into the deep middle. That play is 100% on Jenkins. He shouldn't have gambled on such a meaningless route. Let him run the damn curl with the time running low.

McLeod wasn't even involved in this one. He was playing the mid zone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Nah - that IMO and in rewatching it was Jenks blowing the play - a not very well conceived play if as you would suspect was a form of prevent. But it is a play that I include in my brain fart statement. I don't push the blame of that play on some other player. I DO however think some due is to the idea that the coaches put him in that position where he is charged with the decision and then they don't place ANY help over the top.

I don't know if the play was designed and he knew he had no help. What I do know is that he is trusted with the toughest assignments - overall - compared to all of our CBs. You don't do that with your third best CB.