Injuries, snap counts catching up to Rams' defense /Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Injuries, snap counts catching up to Rams' defense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...uries-snap-counts-catching-up-to-rams-defense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Through the first nine weeks of the NFL season, it looked like the St. Louis Rams defense would finally deliver the type of statistical performance that would meet the vast potential of their heavy investments on that side of the ball.

It was a group that still ferociously rushed the passer but now had the sticky coverage, crisp tackling and consistent run-stuffing to realize the lofty expectations thrust upon it both inside and outside the organization.

But as the season wears on, the Rams defense appears to be wearing down. And, really, it's not the players' fault.

"We don’t ever, ever think that," defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. "We really don’t. It doesn’t make a difference if we’ve got to play 150 snaps, if we’ve got to play 35 snaps. That doesn’t make any difference. One of the things we take great pride in as you see [is] when we play in sudden-change situations. If there’s an adverse situation we have to go into, an extra situation we have to go into, look at the guys rally. Look at the guys rally on the sideline and how they take the field. All of that is mental toughness. When we’re mentally strong, we understand that our job is playing no matter what the situation is, no matter how many snaps we have to play. We have to keep on doing that. So, we’ll never use that for an excuse at all. No, we’ve got to play.”

Obviously, Williams isn't going to throw the Rams' offense under the bus, but let's be honest here, the Rams defensive "regression" since week 10 is a product of attrition by injury and the wearing down of a group that has consistently been hung out to dry by an inept offense.

Let's start by looking at how the defensive numbers have changed in recent weeks:
Through Week 9, the Rams were fifth in the NFL in yards allowed per game (323.8), fourth in yards allowed per play (4.93), eighth in rushing yards allowed per carry (3.8), sixth in points allowed per game (18.2) and second in sacks per pass attempt (9.7 percent).
In the time since, the Rams are 30th in yards allowed per game (421.2), 30th in yards allowed per play (6.15), 20th in rushing yards allowed per carry (4.27), 29th in points allowed per game (27.8) and 29th in sacks per pass attempt (3.6 percent).

Those sharp drops in production correlated first and foremost with a rash of injuries that began to pile up even before the team's Week 6 bye. They lost cornerback E.J. Gaines for the season, then linebacker Alec Ogletree was lost in Week 4 against Arizona and probably won't return. End Chris Long suffered a knee injury in Week 5 against Green Bay and fellow end Robert Quinn apparently injured his back somewhere in there, played only 14 snaps since the bye and is headed for season-ending shoulder surgery.

The injury bug has bitten in the secondary, too, where cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins (concussion) and Trumaine Johnson (thigh) are dealing with issues, and safety T.J. McDonald is set to join Quinn on injured reserve with season-ending shoulder surgery.

No matter how much depth you have, when you have to start digging that deep at nearly every position, it's going to catch up. The loss of Quinn, in particular, has altered how the Rams can play defensively.

"One of the things I’ve always taken great pride in and we’ve always taken great pride in is next man up," Williams said. "And we’ve had some guys really shine. Last year, (end) Will Hayes just did a phenomenal job shining when Chris was down. Look at Mark Barron right now shining with 'Tree' down. Look at Trumaine coming back and having his season with E.J. down. We’ve had a lot of those kinds of situations. I think the best group of defenders, maybe the best coaching staffs have always taken great pride in being able to adapt to what we have to do with who we have to coach. These guys are fun. They’ve taken ownership with it. They understand why we do what we do. And we do make minor week-to-week, series-to-series, we make changes on who has to play for who because of what they can do strong-wise. Really, not hiding weaknesses [as] much as highlighting strengths that guys can use."

Beyond the injuries, the lack of any sort of offensive production has made things doubly tough on the defense. In assessing the team's problems a couple of weeks ago, coach Jeff Fisher said it was 70 percent offense and 30 percent defense, but the offense has contributed a lot to that 30 percent.

For the season, the defense has been on the field for 799 plays, tied for seventh-most in the league. But with better offenses such as Cincinnati and Arizona on the schedule recently, it's been even more difficult to get off the field on a regular basis. The defense played a whopping 84 snaps against the Cardinals last week, tied for sixth-most by a team this season.

Through the first nine weeks, the defense got at least a little bit of help from the offense, playing 525 snaps, which was 16th in the NFL in that span. Since Week 10, the Rams have played 274 snaps, third most in the NFL.

To their credit, Rams defenders haven't made excuses or pointed fingers for the recent drop-off.

"We’ve been just self-reflecting in that defensive room," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "How can we play better? Everyone individually has to do it. ... What am I doing to contribute to these losses? Am I part of the problem? Am I part of the solution? You hope that you have enough guys in there that want to be part of the solution and fix it."

Unfortunately for Laurinaitis and his defensive teammates, the solutions are going to have to come from some combination of the offensive meeting room and the training room.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this right here is the most depressing part of the season. what a waste of an amazing defense. probably just lost that window of opportunity. sad...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Corner update: Johnson back, Jenkins still in concussion protocol
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1adda464-5374-5cb0-ad96-e872f532cd1a.html

Three injured Rams _ cornerback Trumaine Johnson, tight end Lance Kendricks, and defensive end Williams Hayes _ all had status upgrades Thursday, boding well for their participation in Sunday's home game against the Detroit Lions.

Johnson (thigh) and Kendricks (concussion) were upgraded to full participation after being limited on Wednesday. Hayes (thigh) was limited after not practicing at all on Wednesday.

The rest of the Rams' injury report remained unchanged: cornerback Janoris Jenkins (concussion), G/T Andrew Donnal (knee), K Zach Hocker (thigh), and P Johnny Hekker (not injury related/rest) did not practice for the second day in a row. That's not good for Jenkins, in terms of clearing the concussion protocol in time for Detroit.

Also, WR Wes Welker (calf) remained limited, while K Greg Zuerlein (hip) and QB Case Keenum (concussion) were full participation.

DE Robert Quinn (back) and S T.J. McDonald (shoulder), who are both scheduled for season-ending surgery, have yet to be placed on injured reserve. Coach Jeff Fisher indicated Thursday that they probably would be replaced by practice squad players. One possibility is cornerback Eric Patterson, a second-year pro from Ball State.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The loss of our two best DB's (McDonald & Jenkins) just add to the mess. Janoris Jenkins can not be replaced. Getting Trumaine Johnson back into the mix either when they go into the Nickel where Joyner can slide inside or if lucky he could just start back at his old starting post. Roberson gets the nod as the other starting corner will get his 4th start. That leaves starting deep safety Rodney McLeod to be the 4th Corner & final corner as when the game ended last week.

TJ McDonald's season already concluded on the IR & pending shoulder surgery is awful too. But as this article is about Mo Alexander's time the next four games. Strong Safety position is a better place to play for him late last week he was playing deep safety for Rodney. Christian Bryant will back up Alexander @ SS. Chances are we will see a lot of all four of our safeties (McLeod, Alexander, Davis & Bryant) in this Sunday's game with the shortage of Fishers healthy corners.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sack wise the Rams ( w/32) are still Tied for 6th in the league. But I fear we're fading, due to injuries, after such a Great Start, SHAME!:(

Memphis Ram

Legend
The offense has been a major drag on the defense. And so have the injuries.
The defense can't control that part of it.

But, they could sure help themselves out with few penalties and better tackling.:whistle:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
But, they could sure help themselves out with few penalties and better tackling.
I thought the tackling was excellent in the beginning of the season. That's probably a big area that shows the fatigue effects now. The spots I think the D could have helped themselves more to avoid wearing down are in time of possession per drive, including getting more turnovers. But the main culprit is the offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Williams attitude....150 plays or 35 plays...It shouldn't matter. They were running whenever they wanted the last few games...We knew the offenses would need pick-me-ups....Pick'em up D!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Robert Quinn apparently injured his back somewhere in there, played only 14 snaps since the bye and is headed for season-ending shoulder surgery.
He's not having shoulder surgery. It's back surgery.
McDonald is having shoulder surgery.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought the tackling was excellent in the beginning of the season. That's probably a big area that shows the fatigue effects now. The spots I think the D could have helped themselves more to avoid wearing down are in time of possession per drive, including getting more turnovers. But the main culprit is the offense.

I didn't. Especially not when it comes to the secondary who seemed to have been taught to block players down rather than actually form tackle them.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I didn't. Especially not when it comes to the secondary who seemed to have been taught to block players down rather than actually form tackle them.
That's a great point. And maybe some early good fortune was masking the flaws -- like that hit on Larry Fitzgerald that caused a fumble despite bad technique. Now those hits are resulting in friendly fire more than turnovers. However, I do note that the lack of wrapping up is a league-wide thing, not just Rams. And still it seemed in the earlier games that the yards after contact the defense was yielding was a lot less, but I don't have any stats on hand to back up any sort of change that's occurred lately. I do see the Rams defense ranks dead last in giving up yards after catch. For a defense that's designed to allow the dump off and then rely on swarming quickly to the ball, that's a disappointing stat, and I think some of it goes to being worn down.