Inflation continues to rear its ugly head at every position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ike-pouncey-miami-dolphins-agree-on-extension
Mike Pouncey, Miami Dolphins agree on extension
The Miami Dolphins plan to keep Mike Pouncey in South Beach deep into the future.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport first reported Friday that the Pro Bowl center and the 'Fins have agreed on a big-money, multiyear extension, according to a source informed of the situation. It's a five-year deal worth more than $50 million (upward of $20 million in guarantees) and will make him the highest-paid center in the league, per Rapoport.

The 2011 first-round pick was set to play next season under the $7.4 million, fifth-year option attached to his rookie contract. An extension could soften his cap hit for 2015 while potentially mirroring the five-year, $44 million pact that his brother, Maurkice Pouncey, inked with the Pittsburgh Steelers last offseason.

It's a no-brainer move for the Dolphins. Pouncey has been a sturdy anchor along their up-and-down O-line, equally as important to his team as Maurkice is to the Steelers or Alex Mack is to theCleveland Browns.

Pouncey spent last season at right guard after rehabbing from a hip injury, but the team has confirmed that he'll shift back to the pivot this year -- and likely for many years to come.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
$10MM/yr?

(n)

I dunno. I get that an excellent center has significant value, but that's a lot of money to allocate to that position.

iced

$10MM/yr?

(n)

I dunno. I get that an excellent center has significant value, but that's a lot of money to allocate to that position.

its cause of the salary cap increase, imo. More money to go around

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
its cause of the salary cap increase, imo. More money to go around

No doubt that has an impact.

But, when budgeting for your team... Those dollars become critical to retaining QB, WR, LT, DE, and CB.

Then again, Miami doesn't really have those type of players to tie up. That's why they had money for Nadingdong Suh.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

But, when budgeting for your team... Those dollars become critical to retaining QB, WR, LT, DE, and CB.

Then again, Miami doesn't really have those type of players to tie up. That's why they had money for Nadingdong Suh.
It's kind of amazing how they paid buku to land Mike Wallace and that blew up in their face. So let's pay a penalty prone player, to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Apparently their not gonna learn the lesson to be learned in FA, avoid spending big dollars to manage a balanced, talented roster.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Its inflation sure - but as long as there is a salary cap it'll come down at some point (even though they increase the cap every year). There's only so much that can be spent so you have to pick where you want to spend it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's natural. The salary cap is increasing which means player salaries will increase. It's what you expect to happen.

fearsomefour

Legend

Well when you consider $12M a year is about what an average NFL starting QB will cost a team a top level C seems like a value.
The Rams have done a good job budgeting. Free Agency can be fun and can fill some holes but teams still need to draft well to survive long term...its always about the draft.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's natural. The salary cap is increasing which means player salaries will increase. It's what you expect to happen.

But still you have to manage the resources and in proportion that's a lot (percentage wise) to point at that position. Everyone is making more but that is a big chunk of cheddar for a center. At least on the surface it seems that way to me.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I tend to think this is caused more by the rookie wage scale than inflation. That money not going to unproven rookies is almost certainly going to young vets on a 2nd contracts now.

MrMotes

Starter
With the overall salary cap and rookie wage scale, players are actually getting less than their open market value. What we have here is wage controls...