Incognito and Martin: An Insider’s Story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keeps Coming

Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin had issues with multiple players on the team, not just suspended guard Richie Incognito, his agent told ESPN's Mark Schwarz on Thursday.

Agent Rick Smith told ESPN that Martin is doing very well but wouldn't say when his client would return to the team.

ProFootballTalk.com, citing multiple league sources, reported Wednesday night that Smith called Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland before his client left the team Oct. 28 and complained about the manner in which the second-year player was being treated by Incognito.

In response, Ireland suggested Martin respond to Incognito physically and specifically mentioned that he should "punch" the veteran guard, the sources told ProFootballTalk.com.

Representatives for Martin have turned over evidence of harassment to the Dolphins, the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

Commissioner Roger Goodell appointed attorney Ted Wells to direct an independent investigation into the Dolphins' workplace conduct. That report will be made public.

Martin's family has hired attorney David Cornwell to represent Martin's legal interests in the issues with the Dolphins, a source has confirmed to ESPN.

The hiring was earlier reported by Fox Sports.

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith released a statement Thursday saying he's been in contact with Miami players.

"I continue to be in touch with players in Miami, their representatives and player leadership, and I look forward to information that defines the full scope of the NFL's investigation," he said. "Every NFL player should expect safe and professional working conditions. The NFLPA has taken steps to ensure that every one of our affected members is represented. It is our duty as a union to learn the full facts, protect the interests of players involved and hold management accountable to the highest standards of fairness and transparency."

On Wednesday, veteran Dolphins players offered overwhelming support for Incognito while also displaying anger toward Martin, who left the team after claims of harassment and misconduct.

"I think if you have a problem with somebody -- a legitimate problem with somebody -- you should say, 'I have a problem with this,' and stand up and be a man," offensive tackle Tyson Clabo said. "I don't think what happened is necessary. I don't know why he's doing this, and the only person who knows why is Jonathan Martin."

Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN on Monday that Incognito used racial epithets and profane language toward Martin on multiple occasions. In a transcript of a voice mail message from April, Incognito referred to Martin as a "half n----- piece of s---," and added, "F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Some Dolphins players were aware of the contents in the voice mail, but many defended Incognito against claims that he is racist and intended to harm Martin.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the same guy [Martin] who was laughing about this voice mail at one point and time, first of all," receiver Brian Hartline said. "Second of all, I believe that, if you go through the whole voice mail, there's some things said that you probably shouldn't say in general, friends or not friends. But I know for a fact that I've said things to my friends that I kind of wish I never said, either.

"With that being said, I never thought it was a death threat. I never thought he was actually going to do the things he said. If you can't take validity from one part of the voice mail, how do you take validity from the whole voice mail? You can't pick and choose what parts count and which parts don't count."

Asked to clarify whether Martin laughed at the voice mail, Hartline hedged.

"I just remember it was being passed around at one point as a joke. I could be mistaken."

Dolphins players described Incognito and Martin as good friends. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill even described Martin as a protégé of Incognito.

"Richie said, 'Jonathan is like my little brother,'" Tannehill said of a past conversation. "I think that's an accurate depiction. He gave him a hard time. He messed with him. But he was the first one there to have his back in any situation."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...-several-miami-dolphins-agent-rick-smith-says

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday appointed Ted Wells, a senior partner of the New York law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison to oversee an investigation of the Dolphins' workplace conditions. The findings will be made public once the case is completed, the league said.
Mark my words, Commandant Goodell will use this "report" to create new levels of oversight and control inside the locker rooms and private lives of NFL players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mark my words, Commandant Goodell will use this "report" to create new levels of oversight and control inside the locker rooms and private lives of NFL players.

That... and then destroy the report after he kicks Cogs out of the NFL.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The point in all this is that someone on that coaching staff paired an over-the-top knucklehead with an introverted loner. Masterpiece of dysfunction.

Then, when it blew up in their faces, that coaching staff threw the knucklehead to the wolves.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cleary,Incognito was given orders to perform a code Red.
th

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Son, we live in a Professional sport that has QB's, and those QB's have to be guarded by men with guns and tattoos. Who's gonna do it? You? You,Jonathan Martin? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the Incognitos. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at draft combines, you want me on that line, you need me on that line.
th

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Like I said a game in transition and wussies are determining the direction.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The more I read, the more the reports that the coaches put Cogs up to it seems to be more and more valid. Like the team has been saying he and Cogs were the best of bros, it seems out of place that Cogs would just randomly start fucking with him out of nowhere.

I mean you can say some harsh shit to motivate your bros, but Cogs went above and beyond and it really seems like he was trying to get Martin to go after him, which would fall under the coaches trying to toughen him up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Apparently he ended the voice mail with "ok, call me back". And Martin did. And the whole oline unit had a big laugh about the message.

Truth or damage control?

jap

Legend
Isn't this very similar to the Saints' situation a while back where the brass was encouraging defensive players to go after opponents? Only now with the 'Phins, one guy was instructed to go after a teammate. How do you believe our crazy commissioner is gonna handle this one?

jjab360

Legend
Isn't this very similar to the Saints' situation a while back where the brass was encouraging defensive players to go after opponents? Only now with the 'Phins, one guy was instructed to go after a teammate. How do you believe our crazy commissioner is gonna handle this one?
Unless they paid Incognito off the books to go after Martin, I don't see the similarity...

jap

Legend
Isn't this very similar to the Saints' situation a while back where the brass was encouraging defensive players to go after opponents? Only now with the 'Phins, one guy was instructed to go after a teammate. How do you believe o
Unless they paid Incognito off the books to go after Martin, I don't see the similarity...

I wasn't talking about paying off anyone; I was stressing the similarity of instructing a player(s) to after another player(s).

had

Rookie
A few things stand out for me on this Incognito debacle. First is that it should have been handled internally. Second is that white guys shouldn't call black guys ni****s. And third is that this Martin guy seems to be either playing the situation for a payout, or has mental health issues that cannot be foisted upon Incognito.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
A few things stand out for me on this Incognito debacle. First is that it should have been handled internally. Second is that white guys shouldn't call black guys ni****s. And third is that this Martin guy seems to be either playing the situation for a payout, or has mental health issues that cannot be foisted upon Incognito.
What about the media running with a story that wasn't really fleshed-out yet? That may be the biggest part of this entire debacle.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
What about the media running with a story that wasn't really fleshed-out yet? That may be the biggest part of this entire debacle.
And prompting over zealous knee jerk judgement may haps.
I SMELL a guy who wasn't tough enough to play the game with a blood sucking agent who wanted his commission for the full term of the contract and little else.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
i think we're getting a little taste of what's behind the shield

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Well if polls mean anything ,Incognito stands at 21% approval Obama at 32 so well you know maybe he needs to run for office:roflmao: