Incognito and Martin: An Insider’s Story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

By Lydon Murtha
I don’t have a dog in this fight.

I want that to be very clear. I played offensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins from 2009 until the 2012 preseason, when I was released after tearing ligaments in my foot and injuring my back, both requiring surgery. I have since retired, and I’m happily working in the auto industry and living outside of Miami. I went to college at Nebraska with Richie Incognito, and I consider myself friends with him and Jonathan Martin, but I don’t speak with them regularly and I’m not taking sides. I’m only interested in the truth, which is what I’m going to share, from my own experiences and from conversations with friends still on the team.

Before I correct some of the misconceptions and outright lies being reported in the course of this story, let’s first establish who Martin and Incognito are as human beings and their relationship with one another.

From the beginning, when he was drafted in April 2012, Martin did not seem to want to be one of the group. He came off as standoffish and shy to the rest of the offensive linemen. He couldn’t look anyone in the eye, which was puzzling for a football player at this level on a team full of grown-ass men. We all asked the same question: Why won’t he be open with us? What’s with the wall being put up? I never really figured it out. He did something I’d never seen before by balking at the idea of paying for a rookie dinner, which is a meal for a position group paid for by rookies. (For example, I paid $9,600 for one my rookie year.) I don’t know if Martin ever ended up paying for one, as I was cut before seeing the outcome.

richie-incognito-jonathan-martin2.jpg

Incognito and Martin (Lynne Sladky/AP)

Martin was expected to play left tackle beside Incognito at guard from the start, so Incognito took him under his wing. They were close friends by all apperances. Martin had a tendency to tank when things would get difficult in practice, and Incognito would lift him up. He’d say, there’s always tomorrow. Richie has been more kind to Martin than any other player.

In other situations, when Martin wasn’t showing effort, Richie would give him a lot of crap. He was a leader on the team, and he would get in your face if you were unprepared or playing poorly. The crap he would give Martin was no more than he gave anyone else, including me. Other players said the same things Incognito said to Martin, so you’d need to suspend the whole team if you suspend Incognito.

Which brings me to my first point: I don’t believe Richie Incognito bullied Jonathan Martin. I never saw Martin singled out, excluded from anything, or treated any differently than the rest of us. We’d have dinners and the occasional night out, and everyone was invited. He was never told he can’t be a part of this. It was the exact opposite. But when he came out, he was very standoffish. That’s why the coaches told the leaders,bring him out of his shell. Figure him out a little bit.

That’s where Incognito ran into a problem. Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter. He was the jokester on the team, and he joked with everybody from players to coaches. That voicemail he sent came from a place of humor, but where he really screwed up was using the N-word. That, I cannot condone, and it’s probably the biggest reason he’s not with the team right now. Odd thing is, I’ve heard Incognito call Martin the same thing to his face in meetings and all Martin did was laugh. Many more worse things were said about others in the room from all different parties. It’s an Animal House. Now Incognito’s being slandered as a racist and a bigot, and unfortunately that’s never going to be wiped clean because of all the wrong he’s done people in his past. But if you really know who Richie is, he’s a really good, kind man and far from a racist.

In my experience, he’s not the kind of person who would extort someone for $15,000. The notion that Martin was forced to pay for a trip he didn’t attend has been misrepresented.

Playing football is a man’s job, and if there’s any weak link, it gets weeded out. It’s the leaders’ job on the team to take care of it.
Every year, as tradition, the offensive line goes on a big Vegas trip. Everything is paid for in advance, from hotels to a private jet to show tickets. Martin originally verbally committed to the trip, then later backed out after everything was booked. Now, if you can’t go because of an emergency then it’s okay, but to say you’re going and then decide you don’t want to spend the money later? Everything was paid for, and then when it was time to pay up he didn’t want to go anymore. You don’t do that to your brothers. The veterans who paid for it, including Incognito and others, asked for Martin’s share, and he gave it to them. End of story.

The silliest part of this story, to me, is the incident at the cafeteria, in which Martin was supposed to have been hazed when everyone got up from their seats as he sat down. Whoever leaked that story failed to share that getting up from a packed lunch table when one lineman sits down is a running gag that has been around for years. It happened to me more than once, and it happened to Martin because guys on the team say he was overcoming an illness. Just like when a guy is hurt, the joke is, I don’t want to sit with you, you’ve got the bug. Perhaps for Martin it was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but when Incognito reached him after he stormed out, Martin told him the departure had nothing to do with Incognito. Martin said it was something else. Then the media onslaught began.

Incognito was made a scapegoat for the hell coming down on the Dolphins organization, which in turn said it knew nothing about any so-called hazing. That’s the most outlandish lie of this whole thing. The coaches know everything. The coaches know who’s getting picked on and in many cases call for that player to be singled out. Any type of denial on that side is ridiculous. I have friends on more than a dozen teams, and it’s the same everywhere. What people want to call bullying is something that is never going away from football. This is a game of high testosterone, with men hammering their bodies on a daily basis. You are taught to be an aggressive person, and you typically do not make it to the NFL if you are a passive person. There are a few, but it’s very hard. Playing football is a man’s job, and if there’s any weak link, it gets weeded out. It’s the leaders’ job on the team to take care of it.

lydon-murtha-ryan-tannehill.jpg

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) said Wednesday that he was surprised by the bullying allegations, a sentiment shared by ex-Dolphin Lydon Murtha, seen here in a 2012 preseason game. (Charles Trainor Jr./Getty Images)

The most unfortunate thing about this situation is the consequence it will have on the careers of both men. Richie’s marked himself now as a racist and a bigot, and unfortunately that could be the end of it. Martin is on the opposite end of the spectrum, but no more likely than Incognito to return to the NFL if he wants. In going to the media with his problem, Martin broke the code, and it shows that he’s not there for his teammates and he’s not standing up for himself. There might be a team that gives him a chance because he’s a good person, but the players will reject him. They’ll think, If I say one thing he’s going to the press. He’ll never earn the respect of teammates and personnel in the NFL because he didn’t take care of business the right way.

What fans should understand is that every day in the NFL there are battles between players worse than what’s being portrayed. This racial slur would be a blip on the radar if everything that happens in the locker room went public. But all over the league, problems are hashed out in house. Either you talk about it or you get physical. But at the end of the day, you handle it indoors.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am shocked,shocked I tell you, I had RI rated somewhere between Attila the Hun and Hannibal Lecter/JK

I rate RI's chances of a return to play WELL better than Martin's,you can deal with a dumb ass way easier than a back stabber and that FWIW are how the two will be perceived going forward.

Other observations: I think the rush to the mics to say "that shit don't happen here" was the biggest buncha bullshit I've seen,but the PC police have got hold of this and everyone is running for cover.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Absolutely a terrific read. Thanks for the post. I hope all those hanging incognito out to dry have the balls to admit they were wrong when it all comes out.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the theory I read on another board that Martin and Cogs are actually in the middle of a lovers quarrel. :roflmao:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I love the theory I read on another board that Martin and Cogs are actually in the middle of a lovers quarrel. :roflmao:

Is possibull Depaty Dawg,is possibull ! Can't say the it hasn't crossed my mind that's what is at the center of the onion.
Not sayin',just sayin'.

…..

Legend
I proclaim to be on Ritchie's side. ( if there is a side to this unfortunate event)

I'm glad a few players are actually standing up for him.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I proclaim to be on Ritchie's side. ( if there is a side to this unfortunate event)

I'm glad a few players are actually standing up for him.
Careful Dog, I don't think we need to take sides in this, RI's as big a boy as Martin ,and IMO if they both take care of themselves ,the world'll be a better place.

I do think RI has been hit with a bullying press with an agenda about OF ALL THINGS .................bullying,IOW sometimes when we HAVE AGENDAS we come full circle and become what we detest or even detest that which we most dislike in ourselves.

PC is a cannibal ,it eats it's own.

fearsomefour

Legend
This does not surprise me. Great read by the way, thanks for posting it.
Listening to sports radio at work during the day and hearing Incognito just get destroyed (some even going as far as saying his career is over....obviously NO concept of how pro sports work) I seriously doubt this story will get much run on those shows. As usual, the sports press is not about reporting the truth, it is about taking a side (perceived moral highground) and hammering the same point over and over.
When I asked the trainer that worked with Incognito that was also training my son he said the same thing he said before. Richie was a funny, super nice guy. Always professional and polite when he worked with him....even suffling his appointment time because another client (not a pro athlete) had a conflict....frankly, that is very rare for a pro to do. As for the N-word issue this is very common in the clubhouse/gym/locker room of every team I think. Even my sons high school basketball and baseball teams the word (along with others) is used all the time, usually in a joking friendly sort of way. The coaches tell them to cool it but it is reality in the sports world.
We all have different relationships. How I interact with my family is different than people at work or at the watering hole....no different here. I dont Martin plays again the NFL. I think he has mental issues (call it sociall anxiety) that make it tough for him to compete like he needs to. If he was playing like Orlando Pace that would be one thing, but he was not, teams wont put up with the risk. I think back to Barrett Robins C for the Raiders. He had mental issues and freaked out at the worst possible moment. He was a very talented player (Pro-Bowl level player) and his career was done. It is a sad thing for the individual but a clear choice for an organization.
Hopefully Martin gets whatever help he needs and Incognito learns not be such an idiot....at least in public (including social media/voicemail) and gets his career back on track.
I doubt the idiots on the radio will try to allow for this. The last thing they are going to want to do is admit it is not such a black and white issue (no pun intended) and retract some of the things they have said.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Don't know if you remember Rod Jones,nah the talking heads won't admit they are wrong, they are in the business of bein always right, they seldom recant and NEVER in measure.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wait till hes cut and sign him. Long would know how the dude works better than anyone with the Rams now. Adding a Pro-Bowl LG on the cheap sounds good to me. He will fit right in with his penalties. His personal foul stuff has pretty much subsided.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
To me .. .the reason this is all making such news is that the word "bullying" was used. It's a hot topic in the media now with all the teenage crap going on and the suicides, YouTube fight videos, etc. The media latches onto these things and all hell breaks loose .... just because of the "description" ... not because of any truths. They don't care about truths ... they want headlines. With the more stories like this ... it will still be reported on ... but as the truth surfaces, the story goes to back page.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Wait till hes cut and sign him. Long would know how the dude works better than anyone with the Rams now. Adding a Pro-Bowl LG on the cheap sounds good to me. He will fit right in with his penalties. His personal foul stuff has pretty much subsided.
Uh ,I wouldn't go that far,we have our quota of character risks awreddy,but I DO think your point vis uh vee Long is a good'n,so there iz dat.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Turley has an interesting take as well ...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-turley-incognito-20131107,0,4724400.column
In the NFL, it's a fine line between mentor and bully

By Sam Farmer
While people around the sports world see the suspended Richie Incognito as a bigoted bully, retired NFL offensive lineman Kyle Turley thinks it's perfectly plausible that the Miami Dolphins guard was carrying out orders from his coaches to toughen up teammate Jonathan Martin.

Turley said he was given those enforcer responsibilities in college and the pros.

"I took on that leadership role," Turley said. "The coaches gave me those reins.

"I'm sure in this situation — not to justify the rhetoric or terminology that Incognito used — but I understand if this was the role that was given to him. ... It's absurd for the real world to accept this, and nobody should, but this is not the real world. This is football."

Incognito is at the center of a league investigation into the Dolphins, and is accused of harassing and threatening fellow offensive lineman Martin, a second-year tackle who walked away from the team last week, with voice and text messages that included racial slurs. Incognito, a nine-year veteran with a history of being kicked off teams, is a member of the Dolphins' leadership council.

"What Incognito has done on the line since he's been in Miami is he's proven himself to be worthy of that role," said Turley, 38, who like Incognito was considered among the NFL's dirtiest players during his 10-year career.

"The coaches apparently enlisted him to be the leader of that offensive line. 'This is your line now. We need you to get these guys in shape and together.' The culture is to direct players. They say, 'You're the leader. We need you. We're coaches; we don't play the game. These guys need to respect you. It's your duty.'"

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday appointed Ted Wells, a senior partner of the New York law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison to oversee an investigation of the Dolphins' workplace conditions. The findings will be made public once the case is completed, the league said.

Also on Wednesday, in a twist that runs counter to the notion that Incognito is the classic bully, several Miami players voiced their support for him.

"I know both of those guys personally," receiver Mike Wallace said. "I like both of them. I love Richie. I think he's a great guy. I don't think he was out of hand. I have a lot of respect for Richie. I wish he was here."

Making the situation even more confounding, quarterback Ryan Tannehill said he believed Incognito and Martin were "best friends."

"I think if you had asked Jon Martin a week before who his best friend on the team was, he would have said Richie Incognito," Tannehill said. "The first guy to stand up for Jonathan when anything went down on the field, any kind of tussle, Richie was the first guy there. When we would hang out off the field, outside football, who was together? Richie and Jon. I'm not in those guys' shoes, I can't explain what's going on."

Turley, a two-time All-Pro tackle, was a first-round pick by New Orleans in 1998 and spent five seasons with the Saints before moving on to St. Louis and Kansas City. Incognito was drafted by the Rams in 2005, a year after Turley left for the Chiefs. They know each other from working out together in Arizona one off-season.

While clarifying that he doesn't endorse threats or the racially charged language Incognito is alleged to have used, Turley said it is common for older veterans to apply maximum pressure to younger ones, particularly if younger players have missed workouts or have shown signs of weakness. Martin reportedly skipped a voluntary workout in the spring.

"Positive motivation in the NFL could in the real world be considered bullying," Turley said. "Positive motivation is, 'Get the … up!' You're like brothers. You share a locker room, you shower together, you eat together, you do all these things. And when you say, just like I would to my little brother in a pickup basketball game, 'You're dragging, man! Pick it the … up! Suck it up!' Because you feel like you know this guy. You feel like it's your brother, and you've got to make that connection so that you can come together."

Turley said the situation in Miami is somewhat reminiscent of one he had at San Diego State when he was the leader of the offensive line. At the time, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila was a younger, up-and-coming defensive lineman.

"He was a timid kid, and I pushed him very hard," Turley said. "I didn't cross the line. It was one thing when we were training, and another when we were off the field. It's like we were done when we punched the clock."

Gbaja-Biamila, later a star pass rusher with Green Bay, recalled that Turley had toughened him up.

"When it comes to the physical part going head to head, I most definitely became a better player," he said. "The moment I beat him for the first time, I thought, 'Man, if I can hold my own against Kyle Turley, there's no one that can stop me.'"

Turley said he has spoken to people with knowledge of the situation in Miami — including a brief exchange with Incognito using direct messages on Twitter — and believes that Incognito's gruff approach coupled with Martin's fragile psyche created "a recipe for disaster."

"What everybody else in the locker room considers just football, obviously [Martin] was completely the opposite and very sensitive to what was going on and didn't buy into that," Turley said. "When you've got a guy like Richie, who's been enlisted as your leader to motivate these guys, to get them in shape, get them in check, personally, I feel like the Dolphins kind of set them up.

"They set Jonathan Martin up for failure, and they set Richie Incognito up for failure."

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Contrary to what Philbin states, it sure seems like there is plenty of agreement amongst NFL players that there indeed is a player appointed role of "toughen that guy up"

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He's still a douche :wink:

But so is the media.

But everyone knows you have to be very careful about the use of the n word.

So he's dumb. No news to me.

jjab360

Legend
Sucks that Cogs is getting hung out to dry for this, but Im still not going to take any sides in this matter. Martin sounds like he never belonged in an NFL locker room and Cogs sounds like a douche meathead who doesnt understand when the joke is over. The coaching staff is who really deserves the blame here for ordering the code red and then acting like they have no idea whats going on. These two guys are likely never going to see the NFL again because of an incompetent coaching staff. Philbin, in particular, is an X's and O's guy, he has absolutely no idea how to be a leader of men.