Inactives (GRob among them)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Ok, so earlier in the thread, you posted this:

You ever think he just isn't putting in the work and living up to the potential no matter what the coaches have tried? There was a report last year that he wasn't doing the time in the film study even though coaches and players had been on him.

I'm not particularly pleased with Boudreau's building of the oline but at some point players gotta play.

So after reading your post, I challenged you on the part about whether or not he was putting in the work, with this:

No, I don't think that because every report out there since about the middle of last season indicated that he had figured it out and was putting in the work. His offseason work with Bentley was more evidence that he was putting in the work. And even in recent quotes by the offensive staff indicate that he is putting in the work.

He's just a scapegoat for lousy coaching. And today's result on the field highlited that even further.

Then you come back with this:

So here's the thing - I want you to go through the article you cited, line by line, and show me where it provides even a scintilla of evidence that Robinson hasn't been putting in the work. Quote it here and show me where there is evidence in what you cited that Robinson isn't putting in the work necessary.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this:

If he wasn't down, then we've picked the wrong guy," Boudreau said. "If it doesn't bother him, then we got the wrong guy. I want it to be something that it's important to him, and he wants to be the best. If he's just coming here and collecting a paycheck, then we got the wrong guy. But he's not that guy. I've had those guys. He's not that guy. He's a prideful kid; he wants to do well. We just have to turn the corner with him."

Link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/11/have_the_los_angeles_rams_reac.html

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well Bonifay, your prediction came true. Saffold starts at LT and gets hurt. Looks like GRob will be back. However, I'd like to hear what you all thought of Andrew Donnal coming in and finishing at LT. I thought he did a decent job.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ok, so earlier in the thread, you posted this:

So after reading your post, I challenged you on the part about whether or not he was putting in the work, with this:

Then you come back with this:

So here's the thing - I want you to go through the article you cited, line by line, and show me where it provides even a scintilla of evidence that Robinson hasn't been putting in the work. Quote it here and show me where there is evidence in what you cited that Robinson isn't putting in the work necessary.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this:

Link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/11/have_the_los_angeles_rams_reac.html

So turning the corner and sending him to the bench is the next step in trying to get him to play up to his potential and you ripped the coaching staff for that move. Or you think even though he has been working hard he will never reach that potential?

By all accounts they have tried for 3 years to get him to resemble something close to an NLF LOT and he isn't progressing to satisfaction. He has to take responsibility for his failure. His failure is not the failure of the coaches to teach him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So turning the corner and sending him to the bench is the next step in trying to get him to play up to his potential and you ripped the coaching staff for that move. Or you think even though he has been working hard he will never reach that potential?

By all accounts they have tried for 3 years to get him to resemble something close to an NLF LOT and he isn't progressing to satisfaction. He has to take responsibility for his failure. His failure is not the failure of the coaches to teach him.
Honest question here, how many on the OLine do you think they've gotten anything resembling an NFL starting OLineman out of?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Honest question here, how many on the OLine do you think they've gotten anything resembling an NFL starting OLineman out of?
This year? It has been abysmal even Havenstein looks worse. Saffold would have to be the best so far this year but that isn't saying much.

I think some of the penalties against Grob have been BS but others are well deserved.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I challenged your strongly implied assertion (the stuff I bolded) that GRob wasn't putting in the work. You "supported" it by citing an a column that offered not even one single shred of evidence that he hasn't been putting in the work - not to mention one written by a second rate hack whose next original thought will be his first.

Yes, I second OldSchool's question, @blackbart.

Tell me which of our offensive linemen are playing well right now. For bonus points, tell me which of our offensive linemen have not regressed this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This year? It has been abysmal even Havenstein looks worse. Saffold would have to be the best so far this year but that isn't saying much.

I think some of the penalties against Grob have been BS but others are well deserved.
Havenstein was good last year but garbage this year so I think that qualifies as not being developed. Saffold was here 2 years before Fisher and Boudreau so not really sure they developed him at all if he's really developed. He was a LT that was moved from that position and has been moved all over.

I agree GRob was the victim of a lot of garbage calls. That said he has streaks where he's great and streaks where he's bad. The best coaching he's ever seen is the off season when he enrolled himself in LeCharles Bentley's school. Boudreau and Fisher IMO haven't developed a single OLineman. That's personally why I'm not looking at next years draft as a spot to draft a bunch of linemen. A new HC and OC will bring in a new Oline coach and coach these guys up. Maybe add one at Center.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Falls on the OL coach 13. Personally I want them all replaced.

I agree completely and emphatically that it falls on the coaching. Not saying there aren't things that each of the OL could do as individuals to get better, but the coaching is abysmal. I don't know how much of it falls on Boras for implementing a blocking scheme that doesn't suit the type of OLinemen we have (road graders, maulers, whatever you want to call them) and how much falls on Boudreau, who seems to have lost the magic touch he used to have. But I think both of them need to be replaced ... as well as the head coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree completely and emphatically that it falls on the coaching. Not saying there aren't things that each of the OL could do as individuals to get better, but the coaching is abysmal. I don't know how much of it falls on Boras for implementing a blocking scheme that doesn't suit the type of OLinemen we have (road graders, maulers, whatever you want to call them) and how much falls on Boudreau, who seems to have lost the magic touch he used to have. But I think both of them need to be replaced ... as well as the head coach.

Seems @woofwoofmo likes our OLine coach and the job he's doing with all these draft picks we have. Two different posts tonight citing a lack of coaching on the OLine he's disagreed with.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Havenstein was good last year but garbage this year so I think that qualifies as not being developed. Saffold was here 2 years before Fisher and Boudreau so not really sure they developed him at all if he's really developed. He was a LT that was moved from that position and has been moved all over.

I agree GRob was the victim of a lot of garbage calls. That said he has streaks where he's great and streaks where he's bad. The best coaching he's ever seen is the off season when he enrolled himself in LeCharles Bentley's school. Boudreau and Fisher IMO haven't developed a single OLineman. That's personally why I'm not looking at next years draft as a spot to draft a bunch of linemen. A new HC and OC will bring in a new Oline coach and coach these guys up. Maybe add one at Center.
I think Fisher and Snead who was with Boudreau in Atlanta believe he is a good oline coach and he may be good but I don't see anything to show him getting the best out of these players. And, in some cases they are getting worse under his guidance the example of Havenstein is obvious and Grob's failure might also be because of the coaching he's been getting. On the other hand there hasn't been much talent invested in that unit and to me that is where the biggest fuck up has come when considering the oline.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Fisher and Snead who was with Boudreau in Atlanta believe he is a good oline coach and he may be good but I don't see anything to show him getting the best out of these players. And, in some cases they are getting worse under his guidance the example of Havenstein is obvious and Grob's failure might also be because of the coaching he's been getting. On the other hand there hasn't been much talent invested in that unit and to me that is where the biggest freak up has come when considering the oline.
Dunno we had two 2nds a 3rd and a 4th starting on the OLine today. I get what you're saying but that's more draft capital than a lot of teams spend. Granted you have the Dallas example but all those high picks have shown weaknesses in other areas like their defense. You also have the Raiders who start a very similar line as us in terms of where they were drafted. Two 2nd's a 3rd a 4th and a UDFA. I'm not arguing with you honestly just working this out in my head as I type it out. One things for certain is whoever our next coach is if we move on from Fisher I don't think we should give them final say on picks/free agents. Give an idea of what the team needs and work through it with the GM. But it's the GM's call imo.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Well Bonifay, your prediction came true. Saffold starts at LT and gets hurt. Looks like GRob will be back. However, I'd like to hear what you all thought of Andrew Donnal coming in and finishing at LT. I thought he did a decent job.

I agree, I thought Donnal did okay.
I'd leave him in next week and see how he does.
GRob needs to sit for a while.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What a joke !! I''m still so upset at the draft G.Rob. There were 3 top O-lineman in that draft after him !! Why not trade back with Atlanta ??

Guy from (Titans) Michigan , Matthews (Atl), Guy from Notre Dame(Dallas )

Some great WR's as well

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Fisher and Snead who was with Boudreau in Atlanta believe he is a good oline coach and he may be good but I don't see anything to show him getting the best out of these players. And, in some cases they are getting worse under his guidance the example of Havenstein is obvious and Grob's failure might also be because of the coaching he's been getting. On the other hand there hasn't been much talent invested in that unit and to me that is where the biggest freak up has come when considering the oline.

Boudreau had a really good track record. I was all for the hire. But he has to be let go. Who has he developed here? It's like Ray Sherman and the WRs. Sherman had a great track record but did nothing here. We let him go, brought in Groh, and the WRs suddenly improved.

Off the top of my head, the NFL's best OL Coaches are:
1. Mike Munchak
2. Bill Callahan
3. Dante Scarnecchia
4. Mike Tice
5. Aaron Kromer
6. Paul Alexander
7. Juan Castillo
8. Dave Magazu
9. Mike Solari

Toss money at one of these guys. Realistically, there's zero chance Scarnecchia, Tice, or Alexander go anywhere. There's minimal chances that Kromer, Munchak, Callahan, Solari, or Castillo leaves. So realistically, Magazu is likely the only guy who comes available. So toss money his way.

And if he can't get him, we need to steal one of the best OL Coaches from college football. Off the top of my head, the best college OL Coaches are:
1. Jeff Grimes
2. Tim Drevno (likely to get a CFB HC job in the near future)
3. Harry Hiestand
4. Bill Bedenbaugh
5. Joe Pendry (coax him out of retirement!!!!)

We need a great OL Coach more than anything.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Dunno we had two 2nds a 3rd and a 4th starting on the OLine today. I get what you're saying but that's more draft capital than a lot of teams spend. Granted you have the Dallas example but all those high picks have shown weaknesses in other areas like their defense. You also have the Raiders who start a very similar line as us in terms of where they were drafted. Two 2nd's a 3rd a 4th and a UDFA. I'm not arguing with you honestly just working this out in my head as I type it out. One things for certain is whoever our next coach is if we move on from Fisher I don't think we should give them final say on picks/free agents. Give an idea of what the team needs and work through it with the GM. But it's the GM's call imo.
They did recognize a problem and tried to fix it early on with FAs but never landed any real prime players. Maybe the constant losing or the move hanging over the franchise?? Then in the draft they seem to go bargain basement a couple of years with no luck along with Grob followed by let's throw a bunch up there and see if any of them come around. It's not like they haven't been trying they just haven't been good at developing them after they were on the team. At least they had been healthy this year, until Saffold's freak play yesterday.

I seem to recall reports that Boudreau was in on the decision to take Grob over Matthews, FWIW I wanted Matthews. And I believe Fisher gets a lot of input from his staff about who the picks should be.

I have seen enough to believe Fisher wants to have a better offense, they certainly have not be a ground pounding team this year. They just don't seem to have all the right pieces even this deep into their time. I think it will get better but will they have other holes created by players leaving in FA like last year? Missing on 1s and 2s sets the team back years a new coaching staff I believe would be just as bad or worse. A new Oline coach might have these guys clicking in a year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From what I observed & from the few in the Chat Room we felt that Andrew Donnal relief of the injured Saffold was surprisingly very well done. The only issue that resulted from these two new starters @ OLT was a 5 yarder flag thrown on AD due to crowd noise. The left side overall faired better than normal. The Saffold wrist injury may move the Fish to return to his own vomit (GRob):puke: next week & start GRob again. Overall the offense was much better with GRob inactive than with him in the lineup PERIOD! Did anyone else notice the lack of holding calls against the OL yesterday?:sneaky:

Fact is Andrew started out in college as a OLT before moving to start @ ORT. AD has worked the left side before as a starter & reliever last season but that was @ OLG. AD is much better at OT than OG & it appears to me that his best series of NFL starting action came when he replaced Saffold. Kudos to Andrew Donnal! If it were my call I would leave AD in the starting line up with Saffold wrist injury on the bench. Let the two 2nd yr players Jamon Brown & Andrew Donnal) gain the valuable experience of playing to help this team in 2017 season because 2016 is a total loss now.

One other thing I do know is GRob will not be part of this teams future success @ OLT. I believe I would try the 6-5 340 pound GRob @ DT myself because he is no left tackle. Our run defense looks mighty weak at the moment.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought I heard something from one of the announcers about Grob having some family issues that he was dealing with. Anyone else hear anything about that? Was I hallucinating?

ram007

Starter
Was Fisher asked in press conference how a one week "break" will help GRob?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Was Fisher asked in press conference how a one week "break" will help GRob?

Why does he need to answer that? It's obvious why he was inactive.

And it's not like he's the only coach to ever make this move. Tonight, Eagles' WR Nelson Agholor is also a healthy scratch. But if Jeff Fisher does it, oh shame shame shame.

Please.